Sigerson 2015

Started by Any craic, January 27, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: stronghold on February 06, 2015, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on February 06, 2015, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: stronghold on February 03, 2015, 12:56:56 PM
Stranmillis is a stand alone club competiting in Div 3 football and in ladies competitions. It has the same rights and independence as St Mary's .
Queens lost this case before Christmas at the Higher Education Committee, then lost again at the Central Appeals Committee. Then went to the DRA and lost again. (Must have more money than sense)
Surely you are not suggesting that Queens can pick St Mary's students. Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.

Help me out here Stronghold. I don't see any Queen's related decisions posted here (the latest one is from the end of October - after the Ryan Cup started):
http://www.sportsdra.ie/dradecisions.htm

Post a link up when it gets out of your head and into the real world Stronghold. There's a good lad.

It is obvious that neither college were trying to sneak the players in question through.

Occam's Razor...

- Sligo through ignorance and/or stupidity thought their sabattical officer was eligible.
- Queen's through pig-headedness believe Stranmillis students should continue to be allowed to play for them as they did last year and the years before that.
- Stronghold has an agenda and has been caught telling porkies. Again.

Ignorance, stupidity, and pig-headedness are founding principles of the GAA. Somebody put the kettle on.

No porkies, No agenda, just facts. Queens went to CA , CAC and then the DRA before Christmas.  The dicision must not be posted yet on the DRA site. All third level clubs in the Country where notified of this. Check it out yourself.  I'll accept an apology later. By the way no Stranmillis player played for Queens until last year and not before.

You're not studying English yourself then i take it.

stronghold

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on February 06, 2015, 02:39:49 PM
Strong unequivocal assertions Stronghold...

Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.
Can you name a second or were you just exaggerating for effect?

All third level clubs in the Country where notified of this. Check it out yourself.

Unlike yourself, obviously, I am not involved with any third level club, so I am relying on publicly available information.

By the way no Stranmillis player played for Queens until last year and not before.

Are you sure? I only need one example to show you up as a liar or a fool with an agenda...

I thought Ryan Rafferty was a Stranmillis student for his 3 years at Queen's? I am sure you will correct me if I'm wrong or you will post up an

For someone not involved in a third level club you seem to know a lot about players from Stranmillis playing for Queens. I do apologise. I did not know about Ryan Rafferty but if that is the case and I have no reason to doubt you did he have permission to play as per CA rules. Did anyone know he was a Stranmillis student. Remember up until they had their own club, students from Stranmillis had to apply for permission to play and could have played with St Mary's or Queens.

ck

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on February 06, 2015, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: stronghold on February 03, 2015, 12:56:56 PM
Stranmillis is a stand alone club competiting in Div 3 football and in ladies competitions. It has the same rights and independence as St Mary's .
Queens lost this case before Christmas at the Higher Education Committee, then lost again at the Central Appeals Committee. Then went to the DRA and lost again. (Must have more money than sense)
Surely you are not suggesting that Queens can pick St Mary's students. Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.

Help me out here Stronghold. I don't see any Queen's related decisions posted here (the latest one is from the end of October - after the Ryan Cup started):
http://www.sportsdra.ie/dradecisions.htm

Post a link up when it gets out of your head and into the real world Stronghold. There's a good lad.

It is obvious that neither college were trying to sneak the players in question through.

Occam's Razor...

- Sligo through ignorance and/or stupidity thought their sabattical officer was eligible.
- Queen's through pig-headedness believe Stranmillis students should continue to be allowed to play for them as they did last year and the years before that.
- Stronghold has an agenda and has been caught telling porkies. Again.

Ignorance, stupidity, and pig-headedness are founding principles of the GAA. Somebody put the kettle on.

No porkies, No agenda, just facts. Queens went to CA , CAC and then the DRA before Christmas.  The dicision must not be posted yet on the DRA site. All third level clubs in the Country where notified of this. Check it out yourself.  I'll accept an apology later. By the way no Stranmillis player played for Queens until last year and not before.

Stronghold, no harm to you but my experience of your posts in the past are lies, exaggeration and whataboutery.

My question to you remains (seeing as you claim to deal in facts) Are all of those UUJ players who lined out against DCU full time students at UUJ in 2014/15?

Yes/No

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: stronghold on February 06, 2015, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on February 06, 2015, 02:39:49 PM
Strong unequivocal assertions Stronghold...

Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.
Can you name a second or were you just exaggerating for effect?

All third level clubs in the Country where notified of this. Check it out yourself.

Unlike yourself, obviously, I am not involved with any third level club, so I am relying on publicly available information.

By the way no Stranmillis player played for Queens until last year and not before.

Are you sure? I only need one example to show you up as a liar or a fool with an agenda...

I thought Ryan Rafferty was a Stranmillis student for his 3 years at Queen's? I am sure you will correct me if I'm wrong or you will post up an

For someone not involved in a third level club you seem to know a lot about players from Stranmillis playing for Queens. I do apologise. I did not know about Ryan Rafferty but if that is the case and I have no reason to doubt you did he have permission to play as per CA rules. Did anyone know he was a Stranmillis student. Remember up until they had their own club, students from Stranmillis had to apply for permission to play and could have played with St Mary's or Queens.

So you are a fool with an agenda then Stronghold. You tried to dress up your propaganda as "fact". Your assertion.

Oh, and quoting one (possible) player is hardly "knowing a lot about players from Stranmillis playing for Queens". You're at your exaggerating again.

The world and his granny knew at the time and there was a rumour at the time that a certain (obvious) individual involved with the UUJ club tried his damnedest to get him ruled ineligible. But I only heard that third hand so I wouldn't want to misrepresent it as "fact".

tiempo

I wonder is the Fitzgibbon Cup riddled with this bullcrap endless stream of ringers saga too? The Sigerson needs a serious clamp down, proper deterrants as mentioned before - teams banned from following year competition - would soon root it out

TF15

Stranmillis students should be allowed to play for QUB IMO. Its a heavily protestant teacher training college and if you scraped a team together you'd be very lucky. I've never known anyone complain about it before? It's been a common trend and in university circles in Belfast it has generally been accepted that students have the choice of QUB or St Marys to play third level football or hurling but 99.9% (never heard of anybody bar O'Neill playing for St Mary's) of those who choose to avail of this play for QUB as its not really seen as distinct from QUB as St Mary's is.

There is a lot worse 'bending the rules' than what QUB have been kicked out for and I was nearly positive it was previously authorised but maybe its not. QUB unlike UUJ and other Unis don't offer students 'elite athlete status' which allows them to be admitted into University with significantly lower grades than the general specification. Wouldn't be massively into Uni football as its a players competition but know the craic from being up there and I thought I'd defend QUB a bit as they're getting a fairly bad rap over this when they are probably one of the cleanest Universities in terms of the whole American style recruitment that goes on now.

Syferus

Queens got less than they deserved. The sheer arrogance of them appealing the result on the grounds of a sabbatical officer when they had so many illegal players still amazes me. Did they think ITS would just sit back and not say a word as they tried to get them kicked out of the competition?

David McKeown

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2015, 11:08:15 PM
Queens got less than they deserved. The sheer arrogance of them appealing the result on the grounds of a sabbatical officer when they had so many illegal players still amazes me. Did they think ITS would just sit back and not say a word as they tried to get them kicked out of the competition?

Completely disagree Queens got the penalty they deserved and no less.  The fact is ITS broke the rules Queens were correct to report that particularly considering that the rule was only changed recently and if rumour and allegation are to be believed was only changed because of Queen's use of sabbatical officers.

Similarly ITS were quite correct to report Queens and got the penalty they deserved too.

I used to love the Sigerson and would regularly have attended the weekends from back when my brothers were involved in the early 90's right though to a few years ago, but the scholarships and American style recruitment have taken a lot of the shine off the competition for me.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Quote from: TF15 on February 06, 2015, 11:02:39 PM
Stranmillis students should be allowed to play for QUB IMO. Its a heavily protestant teacher training college and if you scraped a team together you'd be very lucky. I've never known anyone complain about it before? It's been a common trend and in university circles in Belfast it has generally been accepted that students have the choice of QUB or St Marys to play third level football or hurling but 99.9% (never heard of anybody bar O'Neill playing for St Mary's) of those who choose to avail of this play for QUB as its not really seen as distinct from QUB as St Mary's is.

There is a lot worse 'bending the rules' than what QUB have been kicked out for and I was nearly positive it was previously authorised but maybe its not. QUB unlike UUJ and other Unis don't offer students 'elite athlete status' which allows them to be admitted into University with significantly lower grades than the general specification. Wouldn't be massively into Uni football as its a players competition but know the craic from being up there and I thought I'd defend QUB a bit as they're getting a fairly bad rap over this when they are probably one of the cleanest Universities in terms of the whole American style recruitment that goes on now.

That used to be the case but Stranmillis have their own team now so lads can't go deciding they want to play for Queens just because they're good!!

Both sides wrong and both out is the fairest result I can see!

ck

ITSligo were guilty of a very genuine but admittedly a very stupid mistake whereas Queen's seemed to be fully aware of what they were doing but as a point of principle played their players as they believe them to be legal and have issue with the Stranmillis ruling based on the fact that Stranmillis is part of Queens and they hold QUB student cards. The fact that a GAA club has been set up in Stranmillis has made things very difficult for Queens.
Despite my ITS loyalties I personally believe both teams have received what they deserve however it would appear harsh when we see other colleges break rules year after year without any reprimand. It is for this reason I believe Sigerson cup days are numbered which is an awful shame.

David McKeown

Have either or both sides appealed?

rrhf

My fear is that recruiting players from lesser colleges ie Stranmillis or so Marys etc.  Could really dilute the value and prestige of qub as a university.  If they are not careful they could be declassified to polytechnic level and there's a big kip out the road with that market cornered already.

Syferus

Quote from: David McKeown on February 08, 2015, 04:43:47 PM

Sligo's appeal is Monday. Whatever chance they have Queens have more hope finding a time machine if they want to get back into the competition.

INDIANA

Quote from: ck on February 08, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
ITSligo were guilty of a very genuine but admittedly a very stupid mistake whereas Queen's seemed to be fully aware of what they were doing but as a point of principle played their players as they believe them to be legal and have issue with the Stranmillis ruling based on the fact that Stranmillis is part of Queens and they hold QUB student cards. The fact that a GAA club has been set up in Stranmillis has made things very difficult for Queens.
Despite my ITS loyalties I personally believe both teams have received what they deserve however it would appear harsh when we see other colleges break rules year after year without any reprimand. It is for this reason I believe Sigerson cup days are numbered which is an awful shame.

No they didn't. SU President is essentially being  a pro footballer for a year. Universities football is now a joke. It ceased being a proper competition a long time ago. Just an arms race now.

David McKeown

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2015, 05:31:46 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 08, 2015, 04:43:47 PM

Sligo's appeal is Monday. Whatever chance they have Queens have more hope finding a time machine if they want to get back into the competition.

I don't think Queens should appeal to get back into the competition but they should certainly get clarification on the rules Going forward.