Sigerson 2015

Started by Any craic, January 27, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2015, 05:08:46 PM
Sounds like both Colleges fucked up badly. Stranmillis College now have their own Football team and obviously the 3 lads were too good that Queens tried to snap them up and it bit them in the ass.

DRA anyone? I hope not!

Hopefully both IT Sligo and Queens will be too embarrassed to take this any further.

NaomhBridAbĂș

The competition is now officially a farce
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

angermanagement

Stranmillis is a stand alone club competiting in Div 3 football and in ladies competitions. It has the same rights and independence as St Mary's .
Queens lost this case before Christmas at the Higher Education Committee, then lost again at the Central Appeals Committee. Then went to the DRA and lost again. (Must have more money than sense)
Surely you are not suggesting that Queens can pick St Mary's students. Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.
[/quote]

I can't get my head round why did Queens play the three players if as Stronghold says they'd already appealed the decision and lost on three occasions, surely they didn't think they'd get away with it.

twohands!!!

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 05, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Queens should be banned from  the Sigerson next year instead of kicking them out now, when they are already out

Yeah when you look at it that way it's not exactly the harshest of punishments.

However I'd imagine you would have unmerciful moaning if this was done.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 05, 2015, 05:25:55 PM
Queens should be banned from  the Sigerson next year instead of kicking them out now, when they are already out

Yeah when you look at it that way it's not exactly the harshest of punishments.

However I'd imagine you would have unmerciful moaning if this was done.

It's exactly what they have done to ITS.

Bingo

Surely, as in all GAA teams/clubs, there is some sort of registration system for players?

The Chairman and secretary of a club is normally take full responsibility for this and they take the rap if there is an illegal or incorrectly registered player and they can get lengthy bans. Should the players be banned? 

Does this not apply in this case of colleges? Given the importance of this competition, will this be pursued?

I'm not on a witchhunt but is it a case that college teams have no accountability and therefore they take the risks. If it was the case that players and officials had the threat of bans hanging over them, you'd see a lot of it cleaning itself up very quickly.

Throw ball

So the team that wouldn't play in the McKenna Cup in 2014 because county managers wouldn't follow the guidelines gets kicked out of the Sigerson for not following the rules!

In Al seriousness though these are educational establishments. The quest for glory over education does not look good.

stronghold

Quote from: Bingo on February 05, 2015, 05:58:48 PM
Surely, as in all GAA teams/clubs, there is some sort of registration system for players?

The Chairman and secretary of a club is normally take full responsibility for this and they take the rap if there is an illegal or incorrectly registered player and they can get lengthy bans. Should the players be banned? 

Does this not apply in this case of colleges? Given the importance of this competition, will this be pursued?

I'm not on a witchhunt but is it a case that college teams have no accountability and therefore they take the risks. If it was the case that players and officials had the threat of bans hanging over them, you'd see a lot of it cleaning itself up very quickly.

The same rules and sanctions under the official guide apply to all third level colleges, competitions, players and officials.
We will have to wait and see the detail of the Higher Education Council decision.

ck

Stronghold, I repeat my direct question to you. Were all the Jordanstown players yesterday all full time students at Jordanstown?
Yes/No

ck

Agree with this, and perhaps they still will. It should certainly be an option for council.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Well this is great for the image of third level GAA.  ::)

I think it was very sloppy by whoever the GAA officer in IT Sligo is NOT to realise the rules regarding Sabbaticals...BUT, that being said, to be elected to the Students Union you do have to be a Full time student, which Doak clearly was, so in the scheme of things I feel it's a tad harsh on IT Sligo.
Queens on the other hand, look like right fools..kicking up a fuss when they had 3 illegal players themselves. Should get a 1 year ban from the competition IMO.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: angermanagement on February 05, 2015, 05:15:41 PM

Stranmillis is a stand alone club competiting in Div 3 football and in ladies competitions. It has the same rights and independence as St Mary's .
Queens lost this case before Christmas at the Higher Education Committee, then lost again at the Central Appeals Committee. Then went to the DRA and lost again. (Must have more money than sense)
Surely you are not suggesting that Queens can pick St Mary's students. Actually in the past before they had their own team Stranmillis students played for St Mary's, Stepen O Neill a good example.

I can't get my head round why did Queens play the three players if as Stronghold says they'd already appealed the decision and lost on three occasions, surely they didn't think they'd get away with it.
[/quote]

And if that is not stupid enough, the draw more attention to themselves by reporting Sligo IT's transgressions!!!

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: ck on February 05, 2015, 08:02:44 PM

Agree with this, and perhaps they still will. It should certainly be an option for council.

Why? If Queen's hadn't been deemed to be in breech of the rules, they would have been re-instated. They have been punished for their transgression by not being allowed back in.

Taking the emotion out of it CK, I can't see why you think Queen's should get an extended ban when Sligo shouldn't. If the adjudication is upheld (assuming there will be appeals), the transgressions from both are equally stupid in my view.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 05, 2015, 08:09:10 PM
I think it was very sloppy by whoever the GAA officer in IT Sligo is NOT to realise the rules regarding Sabbaticals...BUT, that being said, to be elected to the Students Union you do have to be a Full time student, which Doak clearly was, so in the scheme of things I feel it's a tad harsh on IT Sligo.

Do you realise how contradictory and stupid that statement is? Are you training to be a C of E vicar?

OverThePostsAWide

Serious question Stronghold. How does player registration at UU work? Do students who get accepted to UU at Magee or UU at Coleraine get to play for UUJ if they want?