Sigerson 2015

Started by Any craic, January 27, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: ck on January 28, 2015, 11:55:34 PM
Quote from: Sidney on January 28, 2015, 11:20:39 PM
The definition of idiocy: Making players risk serious injury by playing for 80 minutes in treacherous conditions, which to any sane person were unplayable, in a competition which nobody gives a toss about.

Would agree on the pitch. I was shocked the game went ahead.
Whilst I think you are being harsh on nobody giving a toss I do think the wider GAA public tend to ignore this competition but I would guess that respect for it remains high

The wider GAA public is a tenuous concept anyway.
Schools, College's, Club and everything except a few intercounty championship games every year are poorly attended.
It is a players' game mostly. Like rugby used to be and probably still is for most players.  Those lads that won tonight will feel better they won in those conditions.
A local team of mine won by a point today in Colleges by 1 point aet., in hail and gales. The wider GAA public wouldn t be aware of these things.
Is the wider GAA public the people that watch the GA after the rugby and premiership finishes? Are they the punters that base their opinion on Roy Curtis and Eugene McGee? I dunno?

galwayman

QuoteWtf were the corofin lads playing for?? Would have thought they'd be prepping for the club sf  :o
I'm not sure exactly what the individual circumstances of the Corofin lads are - but I would imagine if they are on gaa scholarships in the college then they would have to play Sigerson unless injured?
All 3 played for Corofin in a challenge against a Galway selection last Friday night.

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 29, 2015, 12:32:44 AM
Can't understand the bad attitude in some quarters towards the Sigerson. A great competition, with high quality football and footballers involved.
Down here we'd see it as something of a barometer. If a guy can operate well at Sigerson level then he'd be considered a contender for Senior county squad. 8 of last years Kerry team are ex-UCC Sigerson players, 4 ex-CIT, 4 or 5 ex-UL (Jameso for example).

That game in Belfast should never have gone ahead in those conditions..crazy stuff!

Now that s what I m talking about. Apologies but a couple of posters on here (meaning Larry and Syferus) would have got my earlier sarcasm.
Regan should have been in Mayo 2013, let alone 2014.
His omission is like Don., Dub., and Kerry telling likes of McBrearty, Mannion and O Donoghue to FO. for themselves.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 29, 2015, 12:40:33 AM
Can't understand the bad attitude in some quarters towards the Sigerson. A great competition, with high quality football and footballers involved.
Down here we'd see it as something of a barometer. If a guy can operate well at Sigerson level then he'd be considered a contender for Senior county squad. 8 of last years Kerry team are ex-UCC Sigerson players, 4 ex-CIT, 4 or 5 ex-UL (Jameso for example).

That game in Belfast should never have gone ahead in those conditions..crazy stuff!

Now that s what I m talking about. Apologies but a couple of posters on here (meaning Larry and Syferus) would have got my earlier sarcasm.
His omission is like Don., Dub., and Kerry telling likes of McBrearty, Mannion and O Donoghue to FO. for themselves.

I'd certainly have more worries about Mayo's forward like were Regan there. Makes no sense to anyone in Sligo either. Thought this would be his year now Horan has took the rodeo out of town but it doesn't appear to be the case, or at least not yet?

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2015, 12:54:34 AM

I'd certainly have more worries about Mayo's forward like were Regan there. Makes no sense to anyone in Sligo either. Thought this would be his year now Horan has took the rodeo out of town but it doesn't appear to be the case, or at least not yet?
So, what are you saying Sy?

Any craic

Video: 'It was like rolling snow for a snowman!' - Mark McHugh on Sligo IT's Sigerson Cup win at Queens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7qZNCsJYMo&feature=youtu.be

Maroon Manc

If its not his ability that's an issue then it must be something else.............

Chimley

Quote from: moysider on January 28, 2015, 11:39:40 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 28, 2015, 08:09:19 PM
Quote from: bannside on January 28, 2015, 07:42:21 PM
QUB 0 -04 v 1-02 Sligo IT at half time.

Regan with 1-1

Jeez the lad seems to be able to handle bad ould conditions. Seems to put in a shift regularly for the Sligo team.
Pity he can t play county football though. James Horan ran him -twice.  Must be a different game. Obviously likes of Mikey Sweeney and Enda Varley would clean up in Sigerson so.

I know that you're from Ballina so would be closer to this than the rest of us, but to me, he has had two run-outs in the FBD (when he should have been playing for ITS?), so he is surely in plans at present. It seems though from this post and others, that he may not. I was looking forward to see him in a few meaningful games for Mayo during the league. You are usually on the ball with your analysis with Mayo players and you certainly seem to rate this lad.

moysider

I ll be amazed if he doesn't play v Kerry. He was very good in trial game at the weekend as well.

REDCOL

Speaking to someone at the match last night, Evan missed some very scoreable frees. Not playing to the same standards as this time last year. Hopefully, he regains that form because we need new blood in the FF line. Brian Gallagher took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second period of Extra Time and won the game for Sligo, albeit he was poor up to then.

twohands!!!

Anyone hear any talk about both Queens and Sligo IT fielding ineligible players in their game?

Could lead to UCC getting a walkover to the finals weekend.

Sidney

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 30, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Anyone hear any talk about both Queens and Sligo IT fielding ineligible players in their game?

Sligo IT are frantically registering players for the Evening Diploma in Fish Gutting (Practical) and the National Certificate in Leisure Management (Theory) as we speak.

johnneycool

How dare you suggest that such a bastion of integrity and honesty would ever get involved in such things!
Its only the polytechs and such that are at that!

Wash your mouth out with bleach.

Syferus

I highly doubt that.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2015, 03:34:45 PM

I highly doubt that.

I only heard about it very 2nd hand and very roundabout.

I've no idea what the new restrictions that were brought in recently are like on who is a legitimate Sigerson player and who isn't, but given there were new rules brought in, I could easily see some 3rd levels getting caught out by fielding ineligible players. Instinctively I would say it would be far more likely to be a genuine oversight/ error as regards the rules as opposed to trying to pull a fast one.