NFL Round 1: Monaghan v Tyrone

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 26, 2015, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

I believe it warrants its own thread, given the local derby aspect!

Should be a good game. Monaghan definitely spluttered in the McKenna Cup group games and could do with getting their regulars back from injury (i.e. McManus, the Hughes brothers, Vinny Corey and Eoin Lennon if possible) back asap..

Tyrone looked comfortable in the second half on Saturday and never seem to panic. There's no doubt that Mattie Donnelly, McCurry etc. turned in the game in their favour..

There'll not be a lot in it I'd say, and hope..

Club Rossa

The loser of this one will be under pressure straight away with tougher games to come.

Redhand Santa

Tyrone fans will probably expect to win this one given the McKenna Cup campaign and home advantage. On paper it is one of the less difficult ties ahead in the campaign. But we did find out last year that the McKenna cup counts for little come league. I think we beat Derry twice in the McKenna Cup but it was a different game come the league with our new players struggling in the 2nd half with a much higher intensity and it ending in a draw. Monaghan beat us in the championship last year and won ulster the year before so definitely nothing easy about it.

Having said that we seem to be entering the season in decent shape. Our defence looks in good form boosted by the continued improvement of McNamee, Justy looking in his best shape in years and the return of McCarron. McNulty looks like a good option in the middle freeing Sean to push up front to give us a much needed presence there. The forward line would still be my biggest concern so hopefully we can get that sorted during the league.

Can be difficult to pick Harte's teams particularly at this time of the year. Based on the McKenna Cup I'd guess something like the following:
Morgan
McCarron
McNamee
McRory
McNabb
Donnelly
Justy
Colm
McNulty
Harte
McCurry
Hughes
McKenna
Sean
McAliskey

Though knowing Harte he could well go back to Emmet McKenna or even start big Joe. I've left out Ronan O'Neill and Shay McGuigan as I didn't think they did enough in the McKenna Cup but Harte could well have thought otherwise. Based on the Armagh game PJ Lavery might not be far away either.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 26, 2015, 04:13:11 PM
The loser of this one will be under pressure straight away with tougher games to come.

Division 1 looks like it will be an absolute knife-fight as regards relegation with every point mattering so all the teams will be under pressure from the get-go.

Saw some stats elsewhere on how teams who get relegated from Division 1 tend to do in that year's championship and the short answer was appallingly badly. Basically if a team gets demoted from Division 1 in the league, the odds of that team still being in action in August are very small.

skeog

if weather forecast is accurate doubt game will take place

omagh_gael

Heavy snow forecast Wednesday through to Thursday evening. Could be more on Friday with ice cold northerly winds coming in Saturday. Doesn't look good for this game.

armaghniac

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 26, 2015, 09:15:20 PM
Heavy snow forecast Wednesday through to Thursday evening. Could be more on Friday with ice cold northerly winds coming in Saturday. Doesn't look good for this game.

Have you no shovels in Tyrone?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Arrogance dripping of the Tyrone ones already, Jeez

Quarterback

If reports are correct, Ducky, Dermy, Coney, Plunkett Kane and big Joe may not feature after not making the NFL panel

NaomhBridAbĂș

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

timmyot501

Dick is fit surely

Interesting game this one.  Will depend on how many first team players monaghan have back for sat night that didn't play in many mckenna cup games.  I expect Darren Hughes, Conor McManus and Rory Beggan to come back in this weekend but I'd assume Kieran Hughes & Eoin Lennon will miss out and Colin Walsh & Jack McCarron are long term absenttees.  The doubts are Vinney Corey, Chris McGuinness and Paudie McKenna who haven't been mentioned this year yet.  Not sure if Gavin Doogan is still in the squad either.  Monaghan need a few of the younger newcomers to step up and push the old gaurd for places this year.  John McCarron, Danial McKenna and Paul Meegan did alright in the McKenna cup and it will be interesting to see if they feature much in the league.

Wildweasel74

You Tyrone Lads decide to have a last minute clear out for the start of the league?