Attempt to scrap the hooter: typical GAA defeatism?

Started by Eamonnca1, January 22, 2015, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

I dont mind a clock being used on the proviso that the players cant see it. or else you have the ssame crap as we see in rugby  lads cheating all over the pklace going down for nothing ang taking about 2 minutes to  take a free kick . like madigan at the week end .
also if the timer comes in the game should be brought back to 60 minutes . it has added at least 10 minutes to rugby so you be talking about 40 minutes a side as opppode to the current 35  provided by the rules.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote below from Liam O'Neill. What sort of horseshite is this:

Quote"The difficulty is our game is technical and our games matter. People want things 100pc so we have no option," he said. "Most other sporting organisations around the world people can get things less than 100pc. We have to get things 100pc right and we are not going to take the chance."

He insults every other sporting organisation in the world saying their games don't matter, aren't as technical as GAA games (whatever that means), and that they're half-arsed about doing things. Good man Liam.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/we-cant-take-any-chance-on-clockhooter-insists-oneill-30939744.html
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

five points

If the hooter was a good idea, rugby & soccer would have introduced it years ago.

AZOffaly

Rugby effectively has a hooter, as in they have an independent timekeeper, who stops and starts the clock on referees signal, and the game ends when the clock hits 80, and the ball goes dead. I think that would be eminently doable in the GAA. Of course in rugby you can point to the team that's leading knowing that all they have to do is get a few scrums reset, pick and drive for 2 minutes and then kick for touch to end the game. That makes for some very frustrating finales in rugby, but it would be hard to do that in hurling or football.

Keane

Quote from: five points on January 27, 2015, 09:53:56 AM
If the hooter was a good idea, rugby & soccer would have introduced it years ago.

Yeah like goal line technology. How long has soccer had that again?

Eamonnca1

Sports that have a hooter or automated time-keeping system:

• American football
  • Canadian football
  • Basketball
  • Lacrosse
  • Rugby League
  • Australian Rules
  • ... and last but not least Ladies' Gaelic football
  • Want me to repeat that? Ladies' Gaelic football

Quoth a Wiki page about Ozzie Rules:

QuoteThe timekeeper's twenty-minute count-down clock is not displayed at a football game. Rather, a count-up clock is displayed, which is not stopped when the umpire blows time off. As such, patrons and players at a football game never know exactly when the siren is going to sound, which makes close games particularly tense. Typically, a twenty minute quarter will last between 27 and 33 minutes; the time period between the 20 minute mark and the siren is referred to as time on.

The coaches' boxes and television networks are provided with a feed to the timekeeper's count-down clock.

Jinxy

I have an automated time-keeping system.
It's called a watch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

This was trialled in the sigerson cup last year. Not sure what the overall consensus was but ucc definitely played out the last few minutes of the final against ucc holding possession and waiting on the clock to count down

PAULD123

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 28, 2015, 09:21:03 AM

This was trialled in the sigerson cup last year. Not sure what the overall consensus was but ucc definitely played out the last few minutes of the final against ucc holding possession and waiting on the clock to count down

I know it is childish so forgive me but have you noticed that according to your comment UCC were sure fire winners as they were playing themselves in the final!!!

AZOffaly

You can certainly try to hold possession, but it's harder in the GAA than in a game like rugby where it is a bit of an issue. The ability for the opposition to compete for the ball in the GAA means that it's hard to just control it for minutes on end. In rugby, because of the offside laws, and the laws for competing in a ruck situation, a massive pack could easily control the ball for 4 or 5 minutes. Munster v Toulouse in 2008 was a prime example.

Hound

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that. If a team has built up a lead they've every right to batten down the hatches and play keep-ball. But its easier said than done and can often backfire.

I think the people who praise the ladies football and their hooters don't watch much of it. The clock keeps ticking when a player is preparing to take a free, when the keeper is looking for a ball to take a kickout, when the ref calls aside a player to take his name, etc.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2015, 11:10:21 AM

You can certainly try to hold possession, but it's harder in the GAA than in a game like rugby where it is a bit of an issue. The ability for the opposition to compete for the ball in the GAA means that it's hard to just control it for minutes on end. In rugby, because of the offside laws, and the laws for competing in a ruck situation, a massive pack could easily control the ball for 4 or 5 minutes. Munster v Toulouse in 2008 was a prime example.

We learned that in the League in Croke Park against the Dubs last year.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2015, 11:10:21 AM

Rugby affords you the luxury of playing after the time is up until the ball goes dead which means that if you are chasing the game and have possession of the ball, no matter what illegal activities your opponents get up to, you can still play on.
I have to say I like this, but not sure how it would work in Gaelic football or hurling...