Waterford
1 (3.7%)
Wicklow
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: January 29, 2015, 05:54:34 PM

Shamrock Shore

AZ

It all strarted to go wrong for Offaly when they were first up with the Neutron diet.

AZOffaly

they won a Leinster with that!

Shamrock Shore

Jazes - so they did! Apols. League title as well or was this before?

I think this was the first time I recall a professional approach being taken by a county team. Prior to that going off the gargle was probably the only lifestyle change coming up to Championship and that may have only kicked in a week before.

Sorry to diverge from the point .................Longford cuda won and cuda lost yesterday. Brian Kavanagh seems to have shook off the lethargy of the past 3-4 years and turned in a solid performace. I heard the full back line looks extremely dodgy so progression back up the charts is not looking good.

A draw in Carrick agin Laytrum is ok.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 02, 2015, 01:21:12 PM
Jazes - so they did! Apols. League title as well or was this before?

I think this was the first time I recall a professional approach being taken by a county team. Prior to that going off the gargle was probably the only lifestyle change coming up to Championship and that may have only kicked in a week before.

Sorry to diverge from the point .................Longford cuda won and cuda lost yesterday. Brian Kavanagh seems to have shook off the lethargy of the past 3-4 years and turned in a solid performace. I heard the full back line looks extremely dodgy so progression back up the charts is not looking good.

A draw in Carrick agin Laytrum is ok.

Division 1 League Title was the year after, 1998, v Anthony Tohill's Derry.

seafoid

The good thing about the National league d4 is that it only has 8 teams and 2 go up every year so it's possible to escape much more easily  than it is from the lower confines of English soccer. 

Billys Boots

Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2015, 02:09:48 PM
The good thing about the National league d4 is that it only has 8 teams and 2 go up every year so it's possible to escape much more easily  than it is from the lower confines of English soccer.

The corollary of that is that it's so easy to escape that there's no guarantee (in doing so) that you'll be good enough not to return immediately. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

imtommygunn

Good news for all of division 4 except longford... Paul Barden has hung up his boots.

Shamrock Shore

Barden was one of the best ever and will make the best ever Longford XV from the birth of Christ until doomsday.

imtommygunn

Yeah Longford every now and again have a habit of producing a real top drawer forward. Only saw him on tv but he looked like he could mix it with the best of them.

Good luck to him. Glad it came before they played antrim in the league!!

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Yeah Longford every now and again have a habit of producing a real top drawer forward. Only saw him on tv but he looked like he could mix it with the best of them.

Good luck to him. Glad it came before they played antrim in the league!!

He's been injured hasn't he. Good article on him in a Paper there recently. Was he the longest serving footballer in Ireland after someone else retired last year?

I've seen him a few times in person and he's always been effective. Pace and strength and ran in straight lines. Saw him v Fermanagh and at Pearse Park v Kerry in a back door game a few years ago.

Always struggled against the Saffrons though  ::)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Billys Boots

He was the last current inter-county footballer that played in the 20th century.  He was a hard-working footballer with serious talent, and a nice bloke.  Personal memories will be the championship point against Wexford in the pissing rain in New Ross, as well as the point of the century in the dying minutes of the qualifier against Derry in Pearse Park.  A gentleman and a true sporting hero - perhaps the best player ever to wear the blue and gold. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Barden was some player and was part of a Longford team that broke Derry hearts a few times. Barden had some career and walks away with the respect and admiration of everyone.

AZOffaly

Last unbeaten team in the country fell today in fortress Tullamore. Good win for Offaly, Waterford had got a nice little bit of momentum going.

Catch and Kick

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2015, 03:34:47 PM
Last unbeaten team in the country fell today in fortress Tullamore. Good win for Offaly, Waterford had got a nice little bit of momentum going.
How do you make that out?

AZOffaly

Waterford won the Mcgrath cup and their first league game 😃