24 (19.4%)
Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 23, 2015, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 12:38:27 PM
you would worry for any side who goes up to division 1. leix had some turn around giving roscommon a lesson, beating meath and a cruel Galway who couldn't score in the second half again laois Walshs p45 should have been on the table this morning.

its a funny league as i can see kildare getting something out of the laois game  and maybe Galway and westmeath to go down who i think both won their first two games
Worry??
Whats the worst that can happen? A few hammerings and you get relegated to Div 2. No big deal
By staying in division 2 (and it will be  stronger division 2 next year) with Armagh and maybe Donegal in it you have a chance to drop to division 3.
This could be the best chance for these division 2 teams to go up to the top tier for years

You loose all your games by a large margin. Lads start playing pool in the nip again at all hours. Drains everything from management and they call it a day. Confidence of a young panel takes an unmerciful battering. You struggle to get a decent manager appointed and have to settle for some journeyman shyster. He stifles whatever enthusiasm is left and you lose all your games again. All of a sudden you find yourself right back where you started.

Well you did ask. (Any similarities to teams living or dead is purely coincidental).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Down Follower

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 23, 2015, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 12:38:27 PM
you would worry for any side who goes up to division 1. leix had some turn around giving roscommon a lesson, beating meath and a cruel Galway who couldn't score in the second half again laois Walshs p45 should have been on the table this morning.

its a funny league as i can see kildare getting something out of the laois game  and maybe Galway and westmeath to go down who i think both won their first two games
Worry??
Whats the worst that can happen? A few hammerings and you get relegated to Div 2. No big deal
By staying in division 2 (and it will be  stronger division 2 next year) with Armagh and maybe Donegal in it you have a chance to drop to division 3.
This could be the best chance for these division 2 teams to go up to the top tier for years

Very true when you look at it like that.  The big guns arent as scary as you would imagine either. We went up from 3 to 1 in consecutive years (2009 & 2010) and then had 3 consecutive years in Div 1.  Its great being able to play Cork/Dublin/Kerry etc on a weekly basis no matter the outcome.

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 23, 2015, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 23, 2015, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2015, 10:01:05 AM
My estimate would be about 3,000 but I'm not the best at estimating.

That's more than ye brought to mc hale park in 2009.
And certainly more than they had left in the crowd at HT that day.
My memory only goes back to 2010.
A lot of us were there till very late that day Owen more although you were no doubt back home by then ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Weren't we being praised for staying and shouting the U21s after they got roasted in the first half of the AI final? You just can't please the haters 8)

Shrewdness

For the most part, Roscommon have a young panel. Stepping up from Div 3 to Div 2 was going to be a step up in class for them. I think it's fair to say that we have exceeded expectations so far.. Barring a particular set of results, we have secured Division 2 football for next year, which was management's target at the outset.. But now, we find ourselves in the position where there is the chance of a bigger prize, promotion to Division 1.. Galway and Westmeath are both desperate for points, so two tough games are assured.. Even though John Evans and now Eugene McGee have expressed reservations, i think it would be a great learning experience for our young team. Imagine playing the likes of Dublin, Kerry and Cork every week.

Itchy

You will learn more losing in div 1 than winning in div 2 in my opinion.

giveballaghback

you are right there itchy, playing top teams will either make or break you, if your team is good enough well its good enough, if not then back down you go.

County Man

In my view, a team should always aim to play at the highest level possible.

Why would a team not want to get promoted to division 1??

My county, Laois got promoted to division 1 from division 2 in 2011 along with Donegal.

The following year, 2012, while Laois fell short and got relegated, we still got to the quater finals of the championship while Donegal went on to win the All Ireland.

Higher standards of football egual higher standards of player.

gibbs32

Here here. We have to play the best to reach long term goal of summit. Madness from posters to suggest we will learn more by staying in div2. That is bs. We should grasp this and kick on which im confident we will.

Aristo 60

There is another damn good reason for wanting to get up to Div 1 next year. In 2016 div 2 will be a nearly all Ulster affair.  Fermanagh, Armagh, Cavan, Derry, and one from Tyrone or Donegal are potentially in the melting pot - and maybe even Down  :o  What county manager in their right mind would want to be in with that lot?

armaghniac

Quote from: Aristo 60 on March 24, 2015, 08:39:44 PM
There is another damn good reason for wanting to get up to Div 1 next year. In 2016 div 2 will be a nearly all Ulster affair.  Fermanagh, Armagh, Cavan, Derry, and one from Tyrone or Donegal are potentially in the melting pot - and maybe even Down  :o  What county manager in their right mind would want to be in with that lot?

Handy for fuel costs though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Sure you barely pay for fuel as it is.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Now that you mention it that sounds horrible.

seafoid

Quote from: gibbs32 on March 23, 2015, 11:10:19 PM
Here here. We have to play the best to reach long term goal of summit. Madness from posters to suggest we will learn more by staying in div2. That is bs. We should grasp this and kick on which im confident we will.
Depends. Ros have a lot of potential but they need to do the iterations. It takes time to build a sustainable winning formula.
Supporters need to be patient. Maybe d2 would be better for the moment ? 

Croí na hÉireann

Jaysus, relegation mightn't be such a bad option after all.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...