John Galvin - THE MAIN MAN - Has retired

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2015, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

I know this was mentioned in another thread but the big man has packed it in. He deserves a thread of his own.

Eamonn Coleman once said that he if he had to pick a player in Ireland to be in the Derry team it would be him.

Due to terrible coverage throughout the years of Limerick football I have only watched him on small I occasion but I have read enough of him to understand the Player he was. 

Itchy

He was class and a great servant to limerick. Shame he had nothing much to show for it. He'd have made any team in the country.

Wildweasel74

Now we taking about a footballer, maybe in the top 3 midfielders in the country over a 10yrs period but nobody really got to see him which was unforunate, if his father had stayed in kerry he been partnered to Dara O`Se, ooops!!

macdanger2

Very good player, pity that limerick team never made it over the line for a munster title

5 Sams

I have commented on this already on twitter. He gave Darragh a few problems in his time but hadn't the back up in the other 14 to make an impact.....superb footballer.
The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

A class act. The tributes paid to him are richly deserved.

BennyHarp

Proper top class footballer. I believe Thomas O'Se tweeted that he was one of the few players that he wished had been born in Kerry. We would have loved him in Tyrone too. I hope this link works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJkVYRYGqc
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 10, 2015, 12:56:06 AM
Proper top class footballer. I believe Thomas O'Se tweeted that he was one of the few players that he wished had been born in Kerry. We would have loved him in Tyrone too. I hope this link works.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJkVYYGqc

It doesnt Benny could you try again, would love to see some footage of him. Only time I seen him play was on the box against Cork? I think, but from what I remember he pretty much plucked everything out of the sky.

Great player shame that Limerick never got over the line for the Munster title.
I always name the two best midfielders I seen as Tohill and Daragh but by right it prob should be Tohill and Galvin going by the amount of roastings that he gave Daragh.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 10, 2015, 03:47:52 AM

It doesnt Benny could you try again, would love to see some footage of him. Only time I seen him play was on the box against Cork? I think, but from what I remember he pretty much plucked everything out of the sky.

I always name the two best midfielders I seen as Tohill and Daragh but by right it prob should be Tohill and Galvin going by the amount of roastings that he gave Daragh.

I think this works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJkVYRYGqc
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 10, 2015, 08:22:26 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 10, 2015, 03:47:52 AM

I think this works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJkVYRYGqc

Thanks Benny done the trick  :) great footage

Hardy

I always considered Brian Mullins as the first name I'd put on my team sheet for the best team ever. Galvin was a better footballer and at least as effective as a warrior, leader and driver of his team. So he takes over as my No. 1.

INDIANA

Fantastic player but not as good as Mullins in my view - no shame in that though.

Just a pity Limerick didn't win a Munster from that team . 2004 was the year I think they missed the boat.

Still playing well at club level is Galvin and could probably play into his 40's with his fitness levels

theticklemister

Every time he caught the ball clean he got fouled there.

When Ye think about it , it is on only very few occasions Ye actually see a big midfielder grab the ball and plunder on with it b

blanketattack

I must have seen him play a dozen times over the years and thought he was a class act. Himself and Quane must have been the best midfield partnership of recent decades. Pity they never played together at their peak. They did do one thing no other Limerick team has managed in over 100 years, beat Kerry. For me Darragh Ó Sé, Jack O'Shea and Brian Mullins were the standout midfielders since I've been around but John Galvin would be in the next tier with some exalted company.

muppet

Quote from: blanketattack on January 11, 2015, 03:59:40 PM
I must have seen him play a dozen times over the years and thought he was a class act. Himself and Quane must have been the best midfield partnership of recent decades. Pity they never played together at their peak. They did do one thing no other Limerick team has managed in over 100 years, beat Kerry. For me Darragh Ó Sé, Jack O'Shea and Brian Mullins were the standout midfielders since I've been around but John Galvin would be in the next tier with some exalted company.

I always thought Muiris Gavin was a class act as well.
MWWSI 2017