Looks like another Fundamentalist Muslim attack, this time in Paris.

Started by AZOffaly, January 07, 2015, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 09:09:47 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2015, 10:11:22 PM
Islam is not a violent religion, but are Islamic leaders doing enough to stop the violence done in their name?

We should know plenty of this from our own history. Both religions here officially took the high moral ground on violence, but many a blind eye was turned to atrocities in the name of those same religions.

To my mind this type of fundamentalism is like fire.

Fuel - Oxygen - Heat = Fire

Ignorance - Dogma - Injustice = Atrocities

Remove one and chances are it stops. If I had to chose one to target it would be ignorance.

What is this in reference to.... the Cromwellian conquest?

Sadly that is but one good example.

The Limerick Pogrom is another lesser known example.

I never knew of that Limerick pogrom, interesting Muppet. It was hardly done in the name of religion tho, more just general ethnic fear mongering and hatred. Any other examples apart from Cromwell were religion was the driving factor? I would have thought nationalism has alot  more to answer for in this regard. On another note I see the Arthur Griffith supported it, funny considering FF and the Shinners berating of FG's fascist youth movement. Seems like all have some have skeletons in the cupboard if you search deep enough.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2015, 06:31:09 PM
Concern for 2 more Irish citizens.

Denis Naughten on twitter has said a local couple lost their lives also in the attack.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 09:09:47 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2015, 10:11:22 PM
Islam is not a violent religion, but are Islamic leaders doing enough to stop the violence done in their name?

We should know plenty of this from our own history. Both religions here officially took the high moral ground on violence, but many a blind eye was turned to atrocities in the name of those same religions.

To my mind this type of fundamentalism is like fire.

Fuel - Oxygen - Heat = Fire

Ignorance - Dogma - Injustice = Atrocities

Remove one and chances are it stops. If I had to chose one to target it would be ignorance.

What is this in reference to.... the Cromwellian conquest?

Sadly that is but one good example.

The Limerick Pogrom is another lesser known example.

I never knew of that Limerick pogrom, interesting Muppet. It was hardly done in the name of religion tho, more just general ethnic fear mongering and hatred. Any other examples apart from Cromwell were religion was the driving factor? I would have thought nationalism has alot  more to answer for in this regard. On another note I see the Arthur Griffith supported it, funny considering FF and the Shinners berating of FG's fascist youth movement. Seems like all have some have skeletons in the cupboard if you search deep enough.

Without digging a trench, please look at the language I used.

Here is what happened the main organiser: Father Creagh was moved by his superiors initially to Belfast and then to an island in the Pacific Ocean. In 1914 he was promoted by the Pope to be Vicar Apostolic of Kimberley, Western Australia, a position he held until 1922.[24] He died in Wellington, New Zealand in 1947.

But I agree with the gist of the rest of your post.

Have a look (on Google etc) at the proselytising in the 1800s in Ireland (Dingle, Connemara, Achill etc). Paisley's rhetoric was amateur in comparison to those boys, but the Catholic Church were every bit as vicious in response.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Just found out from my Navan born sister in law,that the deceased nurse is a niece of her aunt by marriage and that the deceased attended my own brother's funeral up here.Deepest sympathies to the family.

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on June 27, 2015, 10:18:03 PM
Just found out from my Navan born sister in law,that the deceased nurse is a niece of her aunt by marriage and that the deceased attended my own brother's funeral up here.Deepest sympathies to the family.

Awful news Tony, my condolences.

omaghjoe

Fair nuff Muppet, but TBF in the context it could be easily confused with drawing a parallel with actually committing atrocities in the name of religion.....

I keep getting "the Protestant Crusade" through google but it appears to be a book but no real info

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 28, 2015, 01:17:46 AM
Fair nuff Muppet, but TBF in the context it could be easily confused with drawing a parallel with actually committing atrocities in the name of religion.....

I keep getting "the Protestant Crusade" through google but it appears to be a book but no real info

It certainly was an atrocity committed in the name of religion. It was led by a priest and it was classic anti-semitism. Protestants and Catholics in Ireland in the 19th century preached a level of anti-semitism that we would find shocking today.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

An atrocity? Sometimes you exaggerate for effect muppet, and it weakens your original point. The boycott of the Jews in Limerick was a shameful, anti semitic act, led by a Catholic priest and carried out by people who knew no better. However there were people who stood against it, the Jews were not targetted for physical violence or death, and the Catholic church said it was not done in their name, and the priest was a rogue agent.

I think it falls short of an atrocity to be honest, shameful and embarassing as it was.

Rossfan

My condolences to their daughter and relatives. RIP.
Terrible ordeal for that young lady.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Turns out the two two killed from Athlone were there the brother and sister-in-law of the Music World owners. Took down the last post out of respect to the family, don't need incorrect information out there at a time like this. The usual game of Chinese whispers I guess. The woman is from Kiltoom. Absolutely shocking stuff.

omaghjoe

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2015, 10:17:51 AM
An atrocity? Sometimes you exaggerate for effect muppet, and it weakens your original point. The boycott of the Jews in Limerick was a shameful, anti semitic act, led by a Catholic priest and carried out by people who knew no better. However there were people who stood against it, the Jews were not targetted for physical violence or death, and the Catholic church said it was not done in their name, and the priest was a rogue agent.

I think it falls short of an atrocity to be honest, shameful and embarassing as it was.

Agreed AZ.

Muppet, it may have been instigated by a religious figure but it certainly wasnt done in the name of religion. I feel that you limit your own view point and understanding by constantly having an anti-religious start-point to everything. In fact to re-quote your favourite term its almost like dogma for yourself.

ziggy90

Joel Richards the young lad killed along with his uncle and grandfather was a playing member of James Connollys club here in Birmingham. RIP.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Jeepers Creepers

Witness reports surfacing in the papers this morning that there were 3 gunmen and not 'lone wolf'

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2015, 10:17:51 AM

The atrocity was the whole anti-Semitic stance taken.

I take back calling the Limerick Pogrom an atrocity in itself. It wasn't thankfully,  but it was part of a greater ongoing atrocity perpetuated against Jews for centuries in the name of religion.

MWWSI 2017