Wide open spaces of Croke Park

Started by illdecide, December 22, 2014, 11:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2014, 12:56:05 PM
If any journalist was any use he would have a list of pitch dimensions to hand and could make intelligent observations, but the use of data seems alien to the Irish media.

Does such a list exist online? Because while I've no doubt that journalists are overstating the effect of pitch sizes, not all pitch sizes are the same. Man City's pitch for example, is a good 10% larger than West Ham's.

Edit: there's a decent article on the subject, sensibly loaded with caveats about the reliability of Wikipedia, here.

illdecide

Quote from: deiseach on December 23, 2014, 09:33:33 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2014, 12:56:05 PM
If any journalist was any use he would have a list of pitch dimensions to hand and could make intelligent observations, but the use of data seems alien to the Irish media.

Does such a list exist online? Because while I've no doubt that journalists are overstating the effect of pitch sizes, not all pitch sizes are the same. Man City's pitch for example, is a good 10% larger than West Ham's.

Edit: there's a decent article on the subject, sensibly loaded with caveats about the reliability of Wikipedia, here.

Deiseach there is def a min and max size by the FA for pitches and there is a different size criteria for Champions League as I've seen Celtic having to make amendments to their pitch markings prior to CL games...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Forgot to say its the same for GAA. Croke Park states GAA pitch sizes should be 130m x 80m (min, think that's the min) and 145m x 90m (max)

deiseach

Quote from: illdecide on December 23, 2014, 10:48:14 AM
Deiseach there is def a min and max size by the FA for pitches and there is a different size criteria for Champions League as I've seen Celtic having to make amendments to their pitch markings prior to CL games...

Sure, but there has to be a maximum size that a pitch is capable of taking. I've been pottering around online about the subject this morning and seen suggestions that some pitches are the full 90m wide while others are nudging 80m. If that's the case, having an additional five-metre-wide strip running down each sideline is a lot of extra real estate.

As an aside, I seem to recall that when Rangers (RIP) narrowed the pitch at Ibrox for a European game against Dynamo Kiev, they assumed that SFA regs were applicable and were relieved to find out after the event that they were inches away from having set it up too narrow for Uefa's regs!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on December 23, 2014, 10:49:43 AM
Forgot to say its the same for GAA. Croke Park states GAA pitch sizes should be 130m x 80m (min, think that's the min) and 145m x 90m (max)

I could never understand why Davitt was as long as it was, surely with all your wee men and bastardised game that you lot ran over the years of handball a small, tight pitch would have suited you better to swamp around all the bigger men from other clubs!

illdecide

Quote from: deiseach on December 23, 2014, 12:31:29 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 23, 2014, 12:10:57 PM
http://www.gaa.ie/coaching-and-games-development/rules-and-specifications/rules-of-specifications/

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play

Knock yourself out ;)

I actually did have it, not sure what I've done with them but I think they're on my PC at home...i'll have a look for them over Christmas holidays and post them up if I can find them...If I remember from reading them a lot of them a lot of guys on the Board were surprised at some of the pitches dimensions...they thought some were a lot tighter than they actually were.

Very nice. Now does anyone have a list of the dimensions of inter-county grounds?

deiseach

Quote from: illdecide on December 23, 2014, 12:37:58 PM
I actually did have it, not sure what I've done with them but I think they're on my PC at home...i'll have a look for them over Christmas holidays and post them up if I can find them...If I remember from reading them a lot of them a lot of guys on the Board were surprised at some of the pitches dimensions...they thought some were a lot tighter than they actually were.

Bless your geeky heart!

illdecide

Quote from: deiseach on December 23, 2014, 12:44:19 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 23, 2014, 12:37:58 PM

Bless your geeky heart!

Ahh tanks...think I saved it along with the Mucksavage thread ;)