Enda McNulty-Admits Armagh were failures!

Started by Bensars, December 17, 2014, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2014, 08:55:06 AM
Think how many All-Irelands we could nearly have won if Enda had played for Mayo!!

Ah, he was to busy trying to become Taoiseach! :P

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 19, 2014, 04:10:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2014, 08:55:06 AM
Think how many All-Irelands we could nearly have won if Enda had played for Mayo!!

Ah, he was to busy trying to become Taoiseach! :P

Touché!
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

In fairness it's easy to see where Enda is coming from here. Statistically speaking they underachieved in converting success to All Irelands.

But you know what, the majority of teams in football  underachieve, at least in their own minds anyway. Its the natural outcome when there are 32 or 16 teams, but only one winner per year.

rrhf

I felt they hadn't yet grown the balls to beat meath in 99. They lay down. Against kerry they played them well in was it 2000, but kerry took out their in for player cathal of rourke and that was that. In 03 they were never going to beat a Tyrone team in full control and they can point all they want to marsdens moment of madness but Tyrone would have controlled out that game as they did. 2004 was a big chance for them _ fair enough but they messed up as many teams do. 2005 they were handed an ulster title and Tyrone returned the favour in the semi and I felt they were gone by 06.

Itchy

In 2004 they beat Cavan in the last 2 minutes having played 80 minutes of football with an extra man. McNulty is embarrassing himself talking such nonsense.

screenexile

Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2014, 07:42:01 AM
In 2004 they beat Cavan in the last 2 minutes having played 80 minutes of football with an extra man. McNulty is embarrassing himself talking such nonsense.

Indeed!!

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on December 20, 2014, 04:02:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 20, 2014, 07:42:01 AM

Indeed!!

Had Cavan beaten them they may have won the All Ireland, as they would have been on a different path and might never have met Fermanagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Enda should be happy he has one.

Many don't and only 35 in Armagh since 1884 do.

rrhf

Aye even the greatest team in the history of gaelic football kerry wouldn't claim they should have got 9 in a row.... defies belief but the armagh efforts to rewrite history know no bounds.

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on December 20, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
Aye even the greatest team in the history of gaelic football kerry wouldn't claim they should have got 9 in a row.... defies belief but the armagh efforts to rewrite history know no bounds.

Did Enda claim they should have got 9 in a row or is it you that is talking bollix?

BennyHarp

You Armagh lads heads are wrecked with ifs and buts from those years. Tyrone really could /should have won 3 or even 5 in a row but for horrendous bad fortune off the pitch and injuries to key players. Funnily enough, we don't complain too much about it. Content with three I suppose.
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

I've never seen a county go on so much about ifs and buts. If they weren't good enough to beat Fermanagh in 04 they weren't good enough to win that all Ireland. If you had to a pick a combined team between tyrone and Armagh from 99 to 08 it would look something like this:
McConnell
Mcmenamin
Mcanallan
Mcnulty
Gormley
Mcgeeney
Jordan
Cavanagh
McGrane
Dooher
Mcguigan
McConville
Oneill
Canavan
McDonnell

That's 10 tyrone and 5 Armagh. Even if you were to pick the next best 15 there'd still be more tyrone men on it:
Devine
Bellew
Lawn
Justy McMahon
McCann
Orourke
Harte
Mcginley
Hub hughes
McMahon
McEntee
Cavlan
Mugsy
Clarke
Marsden

I'm sure I forgot a few but that would be a fair reflection. Armagh were a good team and worked very hard which kept them consistent. But they weren't quite good enough and that's why never got over the line more.

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 21, 2014, 12:04:32 AM
I've never seen a county go on so much about ifs and buts. If they weren't good enough to beat Fermanagh in 04 they weren't good enough to win that all Ireland. If you had to a pick a combined team between tyrone and Armagh from 99 to 08 it would look something like this:
McConnell
Mcmenamin
Mcanallan
Mcnulty
Gormley
Mcgeeney
Jordan
Cavanagh
McGrane
Dooher
Mcguigan
McConville
Oneill
Canavan
McDonnell

That's 10 tyrone and 5 Armagh. Even if you were to pick the next best 15 there'd still be more tyrone men on it:
Devine
Bellew
Lawn
Justy McMahon
McCann
Orourke
Harte
Mcginley
Hub hughes
McMahon
McEntee
Cavlan
Mugsy
Clarke
Marsden

I'm sure I forgot a few but that would be a fair reflection. Armagh were a good team and worked very hard which kept them consistent. But they weren't quite good enough and that's why never got over the line more.
Best post 2014

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on December 21, 2014, 01:56:44 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 21, 2014, 12:04:32 AM
McConnell
Mcmenamin
Mcanallan
Mcnulty
Gormley
Mcgeeney
Jordan
Cavanagh
McGrane
Dooher
Mcguigan
McConville
Oneill
Canavan
McDonnell

Devine
Bellew
Lawn
Justy McMahon
McCann
Orourke
Harte
Mcginley
Hub hughes
McMahon
McEntee
Cavlan
Mugsy
Clarke
Marsden

Best post 2014

Santa is always is good form at this time of year.

Carmen Stateside