Food Banks in England

Started by seafoid, December 08, 2014, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2014/dec/08/archbishop-justin-welby-help-hungry-uk-video

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30323682

You're so hungry," says 25-year-old Matt. "But you're that sick of it you can't even put it to your mouth. It's horrible."
The aspiring electrician's prospects had been looking up. He was on a college course but was instructed by the job centre to take a two-week placement at Boots. By the time the placement was over, he had fallen behind and couldn't meet the college's required 97% attendance rate.
And then he had his jobseeker's allowance stopped.
Matt and the other residents of the YMCA say that going door-to-door with their CVs, or ringing around employers no longer seems to satisfy officials at the job centre.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) sanctions regime, made tougher in 2012, means that those out of work can have their payments withdrawn for between a week and three years if they are deemed not to have been doing enough to find a job.

seafoid

Are there any in OWC or do you need Tory MPs for them?

Saffrongael

Was the college course part time? I find it hard to believe that he would be sent on a two week placement to Boots if it was interfering with his course.

In fact I  don't think I have never heard anyone being sent on a two week placement.

As regards sanctions I have never seen someone sanctioned for not trying hard enough to get a job, for being directed to apply for a job and not applying yes. Looking for work is fulfilling your job seekers agreement, you could write on it that you were partying for two weeks and nobody in the Jobs & Benefits office would bat an eyelid.

I have seen some bollocks about this subject in the Guardian in the last few years.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

T Fearon

Plenty up here in the 6 counties.That fcukwit David Vance was on Radio Uladh today claiming food banks were invented by the left for propaganda reasons and cited the high level of General obesity to prove his delusion :(

Saw one on Glasgow Green during the summer.All of the users seemed poverty stricken to me .I have to say it was a heartbreaking sight to witness.

deiseach