2014 Mayo GAA Convention

Started by Mayo Club 51, December 07, 2014, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo Club 51

The 2014 Mayo GAA convention took place today in the Park Hotel Kiltimagh.

The following officers were elected as follows;

Jim Fleming re-elected as Mayo GAA President for 2014.

Mike Connolly has been elected as the new Mayo GAA chairman.
Seamus Tuohy has been elected as the new Mayo GAA vice chairman.

JP Lambe has been re-elected as the Mayo GAA treasurer.
Ger McHugh has been elected as assistant treasurer.

Aiden McLoughlin has been re-elected unopposed as the Mayo GAA PRO.

Sean MacEil has been elected as the Mayo GAA delegate to Central Council.

Paddy McNicholas and Gerry Burke have been elected as Connacht Council Delegates.

Full convention report and the Mayo GAA financial report for 2014 can be viewed here;

http://mayoclub51.com/members/downloads/

Rossfan

Stick this in Local section please Mods.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

rrhf

mayo.mick

Quote from: rrhf on December 08, 2014, 09:01:40 PM
Any fall out from mc stay gate.

There're still trying to locate "the package"  ;D They found a load of sand I think though!  :)
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Jinxy

Which jersey did ye go with in the end?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

rrhf

Mayo would have beat the dubs with conor mortimer playing. It might have been the right decision at the wrong time. But as a new start for all approaches. Can mayo ignore the cries of their best striker.

ck

Quote from: rrhf on December 09, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
Mayo would have beat the dubs with conor mortimer playing. It might have been the right decision at the wrong time. But as a new start for all approaches. Can mayo ignore the cries of their best striker.

Would disagree. A player like Mort can be poison in a squad. He was dropped for reasons along these lines. If the game was all about talent, skill, flamboyance and individualism then he'd still be there. The game is about much more than that, so Mort writes books and speaks on the radio instead.

Bensars

Quote from: ck on December 10, 2014, 10:17:28 AM
Quote from: rrhf on December 09, 2014, 11:25:40 PM

Would disagree. A player like Mort can be poison in a squad. He was dropped for reasons along these lines. If the game was all about talent, skill, flamboyance and individualism then he'd still be there. The game is about much more than that, so Mort writes books and speaks on the radio instead.

That is exactly what Mayo needed and needs when the old predictable, robotic  gameplay reaches stalemate. It is the  talent, Skill,Flamboyance and individualism acknowledged above, that seperates teams to see them over the line.

rrhf

The Mulligans etc wouldnt have been easy managed but by God they good kick ball when it mattered.  Man management is everything in this game. 

sans pessimism

Quote from: rrhf on December 10, 2014, 11:14:48 PM
The Mulligans etc wouldnt have been easy managed but by God they good kick ball when it mattered.  Man management is everything in this game.
Mulligan et al wouldn't be drilled through as if they weren't there,in an AIF-Man (or boy)management would be f**k all good for that
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: rrhf on December 10, 2014, 11:14:48 PM

The thing is, Conoreen wasn t hard managed in the usual sense of that idea. He lived for football. Didn t drink. And for a cipĂ­n of a fella, in a big, thick man's game, he punched well above his weight and was as game as f*ck.
But I'd say he would be mental to coach or get to even listen to tactics. From the first time I saw him ( he was about 15) he was outrageously talented, spoiled and very small. After that nothing really changed.
By the time Horan came along it was way too late to do anything to change him.
So, there still is a ? about his departure.
Did Horan want to keep him and use him when games went down the stretch, but Conoreen's ego meant it was ' I start or I walk?'
or, did Horan deliberately provoke him so that he would hump and f**k off for himself, because he s too high maintenance?

maigheo

We can speculate all we want about what went on but the bottom line is that Mort chose to walk away himself right before the connacht final,thus causing the most disruption to the team and getting the most publicity for himself.I am sure he thought there would be lots of people calling for him to be taken back but he badly miscalculated and was pretty much forgotten about until he decided to write the book.At the time I wish he decided not to leave ,as you can never have enough good players in a squad,but once he made that decision Horan was never going to take him back and rightly so.He is definitely trying his best to force his way back into the squad but I am not sure that is going to happen

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on December 11, 2014, 01:00:40 AM
We can speculate all we want about what went on but the bottom line is that Mort chose to walk away himself right before the connacht final,thus causing the most disruption to the team and getting the most publicity for himself.I am sure he thought there would be lots of people calling for him to be taken back but he badly miscalculated and was pretty much forgotten about until he decided to write the book.At the time I wish he decided not to leave ,as you can never have enough good players in a squad,but once he made that decision Horan was never going to take him back and rightly so.He is definitely trying his best to force his way back into the squad but I am not sure that is going to happen

It was as close to being fucked out the door as a manager can do without telling a player to leave. That Enda Varley, a player Horan would drop from the panel in mid-season two years later, was seen as a better corner forward option than Mort tells you a lot about Horan's weaknesses as a manager. He moulds a mentality and attitude and then picks the obviously-wrong team.

Moy said it was too late to change Mort, but the biggest question for me is it too late for Horan to change his ways? He's sure to be back in the big-time in the future, Mort isn't.