Author Topic: Wrightbus  (Read 19932 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Wrightbus
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
In a future United Ireland we will be taking on a ever increasing pool of unemployed and probably unemployable Loyalists who used to have it good but are now very disenfranchised.

Won't the protestant work-ethic be a factor too? Genuinely, when I was growing up there was a culture and a tradition of hard work that was sometimes joked about, but in reality was envied, by the catholic community.
I think David Irvine talked about this, a lot of ulster protestants in the past when they left school were able to get apprenticeships and jobs in the shipyards back etc. were as Catholics to get ahead were pushed to stay in school, get an education.  Now in a lot of professions e.g. law, a high percentage of the jobs have gone to Catholics from working class areas where as protestants from similar backgrounds are lagging behind without having been pushed at school now that there is no 'jobs for the boys' type professions left.
NI is post industrial.
The South was never really industrialised.
Now it's services based
Lookit

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »
In a future United Ireland we will be taking on a ever increasing pool of unemployed and probably unemployable Loyalists who used to have it good but are now very disenfranchised.

Won't the protestant work-ethic be a factor too? Genuinely, when I was growing up there was a culture and a tradition of hard work that was sometimes joked about, but in reality was envied, by the catholic community.
Not it the shipyard where most of them wouldn’t work on a battery
Careful now

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »

That's my experience as well, probably no different than anywhere else to be fair.

The protestant work ethic was generally used to convey that catholics were lazy.

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »
 At least we're going to heaven.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2019, 03:36:42 PM »
Protestants love to wash their cars. Catholics prefer to get them washed. A fundamental difference that says everything.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
Never understood how the whole double predestination thing lead to the protestant work ethic. If anything you'd think that they'd be a bunch of feckless hoors instead of the Catholics who have the freewill to do what they want and are judged on their performance.

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
Protestants love to wash their cars. Catholics prefer to get them washed. A fundamental difference that says everything.

Started a reply thought better of it.....

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »

That's my experience as well, probably no different than anywhere else to be fair.

The protestant work ethic was generally used to convey that catholics were lazy.
There are hard workers and lazy scrounging b**tards on all sides.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »
Can't ye just lave them out in the rain?
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
Protestants?

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »
 ;D :D
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
Statues...the Catholics prefer statues.

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
Preferably statues that do various 'tricks', so that you can make a few bob out of the spectacle.

Just when the poor buggers thought it couldn't get any worse, Ballymena United are going to let them in for free this Saturday.  Wonder if that's anything to do with fact that Cliftonville are the opposition?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:21:28 PM by playwiththewind1st »

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2019, 08:02:21 PM »
As if they havent suffered enough...  ;D

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
The workforce from Wright’s were mostly Protestants because they were offering silly money on apprenticeships to 16 years olds. It was expected if you left one of the local High Schools that you’d end up there. Wrights went hand in hand with the ethos of Protestant jobs for Protestant people.  I know of a catholic supplier who had a sales rep calling once a week. The rep ended up calling the police on one visit as he feared for his own safety. A few catholic lads I know ending up working in NuTrack which was based in Antrim Town, they were getting paid over £1700 for being store men. The bonus was off the scale, all because they were Catholics.