Why do the Brits not give up the north of Ireland

Started by Hereiam, November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.
savages, savages the lot of them ::)

Rossfan

Quote from: mickey80 on November 13, 2014, 02:08:30 PM
Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.

Awwww please mister, will you not allow me to be Irish just like you?
Be careful what you wish for Mickeen - it's no bed of roses bein a Rhubarb ya know. :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: JoG2 on November 13, 2014, 02:40:15 PM

this shot went out for a throw in

We call them 'sidelines' round our manor. I mean parish. Man, this is hard!

seafoid

I wouldn't say that. They are all Irish up there.
Big deal if there is a border.

I think there is a huge difference between talking to a Unionist and talking to someone from England. Innit

Hereiam

You could see why they would want to hold on to Scotland as most of the oil/gas in within Scotland's limits. What have we over here....... nothing.
It costs the British people a fortune in grants that are given out here, mostly to the paramilitaries if the truth were told.
What sort of event would it take now for the north to be handed back to the south. As you seen from the Scottish referendum all the dirt of the day was threw up and it was pure scaremongering by Britain that won the day and as sure as hell the same would happen here if it ever does come to it.

deiseach

Whatever the truth is about Scotland's net contribution to the UK economy, there are definitely large swathes of England and Wales that are a net drain on the public purse, and provide offence to the establishment with their uncouth bitter-swilling, football-loving, church-avoiding, anthem/poppy-disrespecting, Queen's-English-mangling ways. And yet there is no desire on the part of the establishment to get rid of them. Rationally it made no sense for David Cameron et al to campaign so vigorously against Scottish independence. Ditching all those Labour-supporting Jocks would have boosted the chances of a thousand-year Tory Reich. But what's the point of being an imperialist if you have no one to look down on?

armaghniac

QuoteAs you seen from the Scottish referendum all the dirt of the day was threw up and it was pure scaremongering by Britain that won the day and as sure as hell the same would happen here if it ever does come to it.

I don't think so, if there is a deal at our end I think the British government (whaever about the loopers) will play ball.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 02:35:40 PM

That may be your experience. It would not be mine.

Nor mine.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orior

A lot of unionist commentators claim (with a smirk on their face) that the south doesnt want the north.

Who are these people from the south that don't want us northerners?

Are you one of them? If so, what is your address so that I can go round and kick your crap in.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Myles Na G.

It doesn't matter at all whether northerners are 'like' southerners, or Scots, or anybody else. We're born and bred on the island of Ireland for hundreds or thousands of years: that means we're Irish. It's not a franchise held by people from the south of the island, to be dispensed by them to citizens who pass the 'just like us' test.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
Whatever the truth is about Scotland's net contribution to the UK economy, there are definitely large swathes of England and Wales that are a net drain on the public purse, and provide offence to the establishment with their uncouth bitter-swilling, football-loving, church-avoiding, anthem/poppy-disrespecting, Queen's-English-mangling ways. And yet there is no desire on the part of the establishment to get rid of them. Rationally it made no sense for David Cameron et al to campaign so vigorously against Scottish independence. Ditching all those Labour-supporting Jocks would have boosted the chances of a thousand-year Tory Reich. But what's the point of being an imperialist if you have no one to look down on?
Northern England is a lot poorer than London.

http://www.cityam.com/1413313486/where-is-the-richest-place-in-europe-inner-london-came-out-top

Eamonnca1

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
As the title suggests why do people think the British establishment hold on to the rights of the north when economically it has no real value to them.
Have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

The British imposed negotiated the Good Friday Agreement. It's the expression of their desire, not the desire itself.

The parties in the north negotiated the Good Friday Agreement and the people of Ireland voted for it.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2014, 03:43:49 PM
I wouldn't say that. They are all Irish up there.
Big deal if there is a border.

I think there is a huge difference between talking to a Unionist and talking to someone from England. Innit

It was never much of a border even when they wanted it to be one.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

So nationalists go marching on the 12th Bunker? Loyalists wear Easter lilies? How are they indistinguishable?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

I obviously don't know you but if, like mine, your family is hundreds of years in Mayo, you may find that before the 1600s & 1700s many of them were in Ulster.
MWWSI 2017