AI Club hurling

Started by johnneycool, November 10, 2014, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Canalman on January 13, 2015, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: Roashter on January 13, 2015, 05:01:38 PM
Looks like both semi-finals are fixed for a double header in Thurles.

Seems a bit unfair that Portaferry (unless they actually want to play in Thurles) have to travel so far. Google maps tells me it is 4 hours versus 1 hour for Killmallock.

Surely Parnell park would have been fairer.

Read in the paper today that Portaferry have no problem with venue and actually welcomed playing in Thurles. No whinging or scrutinizing maps of Ireland and AA websites for distances.
To say the least it was refreshing to read.

Classy on their part and to be commended.

With respect, I think that is missing the point slightly. Portaferry ( the team) were always going to turn up and play wherever the game was fixed. Portaferry (the team) were never going to get involved in that sort of distraction.  They'll go down the night before, stay somewhere nice and try and get their heads right for the game the next day.

On the other hand, I have no difficulty with someone pointing out (and indeed complaining of the apparent unfairness) that, on the one hand, the supporters of one of the two teams are looking at an 8 hour round trip while the opposition have a 2 hour round trip to a venue that has never before (to my knowledge) staged a double header for the semi finals. If that is "whinging", so be it, but there is no harm in pointing it out. Anyway, the (GAA) world knows there is no prospect whatsoever in the venue being changed whatever is said by whomever.

Moreover, I always find a good gurn to be therapeutic!

Milltown Row2

Rossa from Belfast are playing the Munster Intermediate champions tomorrow, Cappoquin. Are they a decent team? Rossa traditionally have always been a great hurling teams but have declined in the last few years, bit of a resurgence lately but maybe lack that killer blow to finish off teams. How would Cappoquin fair ?

Rossa are a decent price at 2/1, was 3/1 last week, obviously a lot of McCooeys have visited the bookies
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Semis moved to mullingar.

johnneycool

A lot of hotel bookings being cancelled if possible in Portaferry! Frozen pitch in Thurles allegedly.

Wondering why they split the semi finals now though

AZOffaly

johnneycool

Sadly for the Ports on Saturday, the game was over before it got going, conceding 1-1 in the first few minutes is the last thing they wanted or needed!
Not entirely sure what Karol Keating thought he was doing for the goal, yes the Kilmallock man had rounded the defender, but he was off to the left of the goals and still a bit to do, Karol came out, caught in no mans land, was easily rounded leaving an open net..
After that, the power and size of a big Kilmallock team dominated all proceedings with Portaferry living off scraps. I'd say there were at least two Portaferry forwards who never got to touch leather.
The speed of hurling was all too evident, Ports getting caught in possession, taking too long to strike the ball and their first touch which had been good up to this point, was a huge let down. Thought their two corner backs battled away gamely, but were turning a tide before the inevitable collapse at the end.

Whilst its hard to judge how Kilmallock will fare against Ballyhale, with Ballyhale rightly being instilled as hot favourites, I think Kilmallock with catch their fare share of ball in their forwards to cause Ballyhale a few problems at the back. Gort like Kilcormac didn't take the goal chances that came their way and were punished for it.
Whilst Henry is as cute as ever, and can work himself into positions to take scores, TJ Reid is now the main man and was fantastic on Saturday, popping up all over the place and his touch is unreal. If Kilmallock can reduce his influence on the game, I think they've a real chance.

Was impressed with the Gort centre back, but no doubt there's some reason or other he'll not feature for Galway in that position any time soon!

mouview

Quote from: johnneycool on February 09, 2015, 09:14:04 AM

Was impressed with the Gort centre back, but no doubt there's some reason or other he'll not feature for Galway in that position any time soon!

If he doesn't, it's because he won't be good enough. Galway hurling gets castigated for a lot of things, but lads showing form do get a chance.

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on February 09, 2015, 09:02:27 PM

If he doesn't, it's because he won't be good enough. Galway hurling gets castigated for a lot of things, but lads showing form do get a chance.

Getting a chance, in what way? One run out in the national league and if it doesn't go your way, then consigned to the rubbish heap.

mouview

Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2015, 09:39:15 AM

Getting a chance, in what way? One run out in the national league and if it doesn't go your way, then consigned to the rubbish heap.

But who?

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 10, 2015, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2015, 09:39:15 AM

But who?
the team has been fairly stable since Cunningham took over. His job is to bring the various successful u21s along and he has been given another stint for better or worse. If your man is good enough he'll get a chance. CHB is one of the problem areas as well.

seafoid

the big mystery of the club hurling is why Tipp clubs have only won 3 finals, the last one in the 80s.
Munster clubs have been fairly poor for over 10 years but Tipp clubs are even worse

johnneycool

Greg Lally gets his chance against Kilkenny, hopefully he'll make a go of it..

johnneycool

What's the feeling, have Kilmallock a chance or Ballyhale rightly hot favourites?

I do think Kilmallock have a real chance as the Ballyhale fullback line have been living by the seat of their pants against both Kilcormac and Gort and were lucky not to concede goals.
They'll need to impede the influence of TJ Reid and the havoc he'll cause at the other end, very doable but should be an interesting contest.

Lecale2

I have to agree JC. Killmallock are certainly worth a small punt at 9/4. They were outsiders in the Limerick final and all through Munster so they won't mind the underdogs tag.

Milltown Row2

Killmallock play on the edge, they could lose a player in this game, as already said if TJ is on his game then he'll score all over the pitch, but he's prone to having bad days, if marked correctly he could be taken out of the game.. either or I still fancy Ballyhale, they have the tradition and the previous of winning at Croke Park +5 points
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea