What's your earliest memory of the GAAboard?

Started by Under Lights, November 06, 2014, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

I was a non poster for years but the village idiot's hotel fiasco is probably the abiding memory.

I can't remember who it was but the response someone posted surmising his phone call to the hotel receptionist was legendary.

seafoid

Armagh fans taunting Tyrone for having no all Irelands in late 2002
Hardyarse the fiddler went awol for a good while way back in the day
Vicki who was an American very into GAA who was the driving force behind one of the earlier manifestations
The 98 offaly -clare match and talking about it afterwards on the site
Galtee Mountain Boy
Richard someone who was into GAA journalism and had a site of classic articles
Tyronies got interested in 2003

5 Sams

Quote from: TabClear on November 06, 2014, 07:17:01 PM
I was a non poster for years but the village idiot's hotel fiasco is probably the abiding memory.

I can't remember who it was but the response someone posted surmising his phone call to the hotel receptionist was legendary.

+1 That was genius. Come on lads dig it out and post it.
The Aristocrat Years

supersarsfields

Started in 2001 I think. Think there was just myself, O'Neill, red hand fan, bummer, norf and one or two other Tyrone ones at the time. There was more OWC involvement back then too. We had "Proud to be GAA" stirring things up.

ardchieftain

More of a reader than a poster, took me a year to finally post something.

I've read many snippets of the Fearon hotel fiasco but noone has yet put the thread up. Anyone?

Orior

I started browsing around 2003 and joined around 2005. I would have joined earlier but I didnt like the user interface.

Earliest memories was that board was quite serious but Hardyarse and Easytiger always posted interesting stuff. I made it my mission to lighten things up.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Just remember Fearon and myself arguing about 5 times a day back around 01/02. Real shit talk.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

I think I was here under a different guise in 2006 and current username since 2007. There are definitely less eejits about now. There were some f**king rockets about in 2007 - Syd The Sailor, Armagh 4 Sam, Gnevin & Tankie... Fearon is the constant in that category.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Shane,arguing 5 times a day? Don't be ridiculous,it was at least ten ;D

My first ever liaison with this board and indeed with the internet itself was the day after Crossmaglen won their first All Ireland in 1997.Plans are afoot to mark the 20th anniversary (mine,not Crossmaglen's) in a mere 2 and a half years in an all inclusive manner.

It was all a lot more lighthearted in those days,for long enough I was the sole Northern representative,and the only contemporary still around is Hardy who,due to his advanced years,I have always respectfully deferred to.He is truly deserving of the title "Father of the GAA Board" , a figure analogous to the late Ted Heath or Tony Benn in the British House of Commons.

Never beat the deeler

Joined in 2009, had been a lurker for a while before that. Reading those old threads bring back memories!

But, 6 years on, and the same aul shite from some

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2008, 10:50:11 PM
Could all Mayo posters be banned till the Ballagh Rossies can play with their native County?  ;D

Note the random reference to Mayo-Ballagh-Ros in a thread without even the most tenuous links to the subject!
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2014, 07:19:38 AM
Shane,arguing 5 times a day? Don't be ridiculous,it was at least ten ;D

My first ever liaison with this board and indeed with the internet itself was the day after Crossmaglen won their first All Ireland in 1997.Plans are afoot to mark the 20th anniversary (mine,not Crossmaglen's) in a mere 2 and a half years in an all inclusive manner.

It was all a lot more lighthearted in those days,for long enough I was the sole Northern representative,and the only contemporary still around is Hardy who,due to his advanced years,I have always respectfully deferred to.He is truly deserving of the title "Father of the GAA Board" , a figure analogous to the late Ted Heath or Tony Benn in the British House of Commons.

Bord na Mona man was around before you. You're not Abraham

"It was all a lot more lighthearted in those days". It was the same as now except Armagh have an all Ireland and Tyrone have more

Stall the Bailer

Here since 2001, another Tyrone lurker. I think the names were better then. Big dave pot noodle kid, hardyarse the fiddler etc. I posted under a different name then as well.

screenexile

Was checking the yuku board and it said I joined in 2005... I think I was on a previous version though probably for a few years before that. Is the first version of the site gone for good??

AZOffaly

Joined in the late 90s. I was in Arizona, hence the moniker. I arrived there in 1997, and left in 2001. I'd say it was about 1998 when I joined here.