BEING GAY IN IRISH SPORT

Started by barryqwalsh, November 06, 2014, 09:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryqwalsh

On our last programme on 29th October, the panel discussion focussed on gay sportspeople and the difficulties faced when coming out in the sporting world. Dónal Óg Cusack, Nikki Symmons and Shane Horgan were our guests and as well as discussing the personal experiences and challenges faced by Nikki and Dónal Óg in coming out, they looked forward to a time when being gay in the sporting world just won't matter.

We had a really positive reaction to the piece, so here it is for you to watch. You can also catch the full programme (featuring the amazing Paul McGrath) here

http://www.secondcaptains.com/latest-news/being-gay-in-sport/

AZOffaly

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 06, 2014, 09:17:54 AM
'our' last programme?

The Genie's out of the bottle...(I I'm not talking about a diminutive Whest Kerry forward!)

rosnarun

that's what every one need is an interview with Paul Mcgrath I'm sure he has loads of Storys of his time with All Thises english Soccer Giants he played with , why didn' Someone think of interviewing him before now?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

theticklemister

rrhf

Farrandeelin

Quote from: theticklemister on November 07, 2014, 03:14:48 PM
Barry 'the question' Walsh back

Yeah, let's hope he gives his own opinions anymore when he starts topics.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Valerie Mulcahy now. What a waste. I found her damned attractive.

seafoid

Soccer seems to to be very resistant to players coming out. I was reading an article about Germany . Some German ex international came out but only after he retired.

AZOffaly

Thomas Hitzelsperger. Used play with Villa.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2015, 07:48:36 PM

Did a wee google there and Glen Hysen's son Anton is a gay professional soccer player, albeit at a shit level.  Justin Fashanu would be the most high profile I would imagine as he was the first main stream one.  I suppose then you have the likes of Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas being high profile as well.  Not big news nowadays I suppose. 

rrhf

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2015, 07:48:36 PM
Der Hammer was his nickname - super left foot. 

muppet

The headline got me thinking.

What is 'Gay' in Irish?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

The condition did not exist in Ireland when then the old language was spoken :D

The mothers granny was a woman without a word of Béarla and my mother inherited some saying from her - many of whom I m not sure she understood. Anyway she used to sissy types 'leathbhuachaill'