Competitions that the GAA Could do without.

Started by From the Bunker, November 02, 2014, 11:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Plus it reinatates the Provincial strait jacket  meaning that all those decent teams in Ulster don't geta run at the A.I. while Kerry and Cork are guaranteed a place if only Provincial finalists are allowed to enter a back/side door system.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Down Follower

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2014, 02:51:40 PM
Quote from: Down Follower on November 18, 2014, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 18, 2014, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 15, 2014, 05:49:44 PM
Because you're using the league to decide and by using the league to decide you create a better league and one that will reflect the current standings of teams better over time.
Exactly.
Not only would it improve the championship but it would also improve the National league.
Any solution adressing teh fixtures issue has to include a reshuffle of the NL aswell
While it may not be perfect, its one of the better suggestions i have seen.

Agreed, it may not be perfect, but it is a better option than is currently in place. It increases the relevance of all the big prizes outside of AI, i.e. National League and Provincial Championship.
One down side would be that it will completely rule out the chance of the small team winning a Provincial Championship (Groups do that you will find), but in fairness, they dont have much of a chance at the moment either.

When is the last time a small team won a provincial championship?

I like the look of your man's system but I can't see it being passed as it would do away with the quarter finals.

You are probably talking Westmeath in 2004 being the last 'surprise' winner even if you may not call them small.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Down Follower on November 18, 2014, 04:27:44 PM
Because you're using the league to decide and by using the league to decide you create a better league and one that will reflect the current standings of teams better over time.
Exactly.
Not only would it improve the championship but it would also improve the National league.
Any solution adressing teh fixtures issue has to include a reshuffle of the NL aswell

Agreed, it may not be perfect, but it is a better option than is currently in place. It increases the relevance of all the big prizes outside of AI, i.e. National League and Provincial Championship.
One down side would be that it will completely rule out the chance of the small team winning a Provincial Championship (Groups do that you will find), but in fairness, they dont have much of a chance at the moment either.

I like the look of your man's system but I can't see it being passed as it would do away with the quarter finals.

You are probably talking Westmeath in 2004 being the last 'surprise' winner even if you may not call them small.

Of course I would disagree with "surprise" in that example, but in the context of teams who hadn't won a provincial in a hell of a long time (at least 20 years) since the back door came in in 01 there was Monaghan, Westmeath, Laois and Sligo (am I forgetting any?). In the previous decade there was Clare, Cavan, Kildare and Leitrim. So that would suggest a small or non-traditional county's chances are unaffected by the back door. Time for a change.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2014, 05:19:47 PM
Exactly.

Of course I would disagree with "surprise" in that example, but in the context of teams who hadn't won a provincial in a hell of a long time (at least 20 years) since the back door came in in 01 there was Monaghan, Westmeath, Laois and Sligo (am I forgetting any?). In the previous decade there was Clare, Cavan, Kildare and Leitrim. So that would suggest a small or non-traditional county's chances are unaffected by the back door. Time for a change.

It was interesting at the start, but you have to agree with the above reality.

The back door allows the loser of Kerry/Cork, Dublin if they are shocked in Leinster and the likes of Tyrone or Armagh to regroup when knocked out of their provincial championship. It gives a poorly attended extra game or two to most of the rest, which in fairness was the object of the exercise. But it doesn't seem worth it when some of the players head off for the summer anyway.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2014, 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2014, 05:19:47 PM
Exactly.

It was interesting at the start, but you have to agree with the above reality.

The back door allows the loser of Kerry/Cork, Dublin if they are shocked in Leinster and the likes of Tyrone or Armagh to regroup when knocked out of their provincial championship. It gives a poorly attended extra game or two to most of the rest, which in fairness was the object of the exercise. But it doesn't seem worth it when some of the players head off for the summer anyway.

The simple solution is to start the front door at the provincial final stage instead of the AI Quarter finals. Up to losing at the provincial semi you get a second chance after that it win or bust. It really would put the cat among the pigeons. Can you imagine a winner takes all Connacht/Leinster/Ulster and especially Munster final. It would take Cork/Kerry out of their last 12 comfort zone.

Looks like Mulligan from Leitrim has had his fill of football. Hard to blame him. Nothing to play for year in year out!

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=227824

Rossfan

Obviously he doesn't expect Laythrum to do a 3 in a row in the FBD  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister