Likeable Politicians......

Started by 5 Sams, October 27, 2014, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2014, 01:48:56 PM
I think unlikeable politicians would be fairly rare, so maybe that's a more interesting topic.

Alan Shatter. Jim Allister.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mikehunt

What do you mean by likeable? By their nature, most politicians are likeable, in a superficial way at least. That's how they get votes a lot of the time, especially in small constituencies. Brian Cowan is a nice fella, but his record as member of government means he mightn't end up on a list like this :) Enda Kenny is also supposed to be a nice enough fella. I think unlikeable politicians would be fairly rare, so maybe that's a more interesting topic. I dislike Joan Burton and Leo Varadker's public personas. I'm lukewarm on Mary Lou.

Jeez, u like Cowan but dislike Burton and Varakdkar? Voters like you are the reason we're fcuked (if u didn't vote for his brother i'll give u the benefit of the doubt) I'm sure Cowan is a nice man but he was part of the reason this country is in a heap. Burton and Varakar seem to have some sort of backbone and have gone against their own party line on numerous occasions on various matters. We need more of their type and less parish pump politicains like Cowan. Depends on your definition of likeable too i suppose. I like a politician who isn't afraid to speak up, I'm sure Leo is a smug man but we need people like him to change things.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mikehunt on October 28, 2014, 03:45:42 PM
What do you mean by likeable? By their nature, most politicians are likeable, in a superficial way at least. That's how they get votes a lot of the time, especially in small constituencies. Brian Cowan is a nice fella, but his record as member of government means he mightn't end up on a list like this :) Enda Kenny is also supposed to be a nice enough fella. I think unlikeable politicians would be fairly rare, so maybe that's a more interesting topic. I dislike Joan Burton and Leo Varadker's public personas. I'm lukewarm on Mary Lou.

Jeez, u like Cowan but dislike Burton and Varakdkar? Voters like you are the reason we're fcuked (if u didn't vote for his brother i'll give u the benefit of the doubt) I'm sure Cowan is a nice man but he was part of the reason this country is in a heap. Burton and Varakar seem to have some sort of backbone and have gone against their own party line on numerous occasions on various matters. We need more of their type and less parish pump politicains like Cowan. Depends on your definition of likeable too i suppose. I like a politician who isn't afraid to speak up, I'm sure Leo is a smug man but we need people like him to change things.

The question was about likeable, not about capable. I didn't vote for his brother, nor did I vote for any Fianna Fail candidate in the last General or Local elections. However, the question was about likeable, and Cowan was and is a likeable man in a personal capacity. Varadker, Burton and Shatter don't seem to be likeable to me, at least in their public persona.

lynchbhoy

when canvassing only Varadkar has impressed me in recent years/campaigns.
joan is horrendous - tries to be sincere but fails miserably !!

Leo took his time to converse and didn't appear to be looking to spout the rhetoric, smile falsely and run off like joan!

ziggysego

I met Diane Dodds a few times. Politically we're poles apart, but she is a very likeable person and I enjoyed her company.
Testing Accessibility

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2014, 03:47:59 PM

The question was about likeable, not about capable. I didn't vote for his brother, nor did I vote for any Fianna Fail candidate in the last General or Local elections. However, the question was about likeable, and Cowan was and is a likeable man in a personal capacity. Varadker, Burton and Shatter don't seem to be likeable to me, at least in their public persona.

but this question of likeablility is the reason this country is screwed. People were voting for Bertie cos they thought he was like them. They liked him cos they were gullible fools. I like a politican who will do their job. Burton and Varakar seem better equipped to do this than the likes of Lowry and the Healy Raes. People in Kerry and Tipp vote for these cos they'er gullible fools also. Despite overwhelming evidence that none of them do anything unless it is good for them personally the electorate still vote for them. I can never fathom it.

seafoid

-Marian Harkin, very decent, great representative , no robot
I think she and Ming show that 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Ming is a bit  immature still though...

- Some of the Greens because they are fadbhraithnitheach like m'asal beag dubh

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: mikehunt on October 28, 2014, 04:45:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2014, 03:47:59 PM

but this question of likeablility is the reason this country is screwed. People were voting for Bertie cos they thought he was like them. They liked him cos they were gullible fools. I like a politican who will do their job. Burton and Varakar seem better equipped to do this than the likes of Lowry and the Healy Raes. People in Kerry and Tipp vote for these cos they'er gullible fools also. Despite overwhelming evidence that none of them do anything unless it is good for them personally the electorate still vote for them. I can never fathom it.

Maybe so, but that wasn't the question. You're arguing a straw man argument. If you're talking about good politicians that's a different point, and a much shorter list :)

seafoid

I would have a good bit of time for Michael Noonan. He spent a good few years caring for his wife, he is smart, he does a fairly good job.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mike Sheehy

Politicians are fine. It is the unelected mouthpieces that really grate on the nerves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqsFp0J22Hc

angermanagement

Quote from: Hereiam on October 28, 2014, 01:49:18 PM
Barry McElduff

Good hard working local politician.

Haven't seen or heard of Barry in the media in a long time. Has he been put on a media ban by Sinn Fein? Was he embarrassing the party too much on the Nolan show.

Maybe Nally Stand has been put on a ban too.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 29, 2014, 01:45:12 AM
Politicians are fine. It is the unelected mouthpieces that really grate on the nerves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqsFp0J22Hc

Jesus I couldn't get all the way through that! Brand is tough to listen to at the best of times but that was just excruciating!

Carmen Stateside

Russell Brand is very good. . He would get my vote before any republican standing for election in US would.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2014, 05:36:10 PM
I would have a good bit of time for Michael Noonan. He spent a good few years caring for his wife, he is smart, he does a fairly good job.

Ask the people whose blood got poisoned by the State about him. After the torture he put them through some of them eventually got some measure of justice but he got a bit of revenge the other week with the leak about the posh dinners for their support group.