Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

My point is the GPA aren't looking to get free stuff for IC players and to paint them as such is nonsense. Most of the things you've listed out have nothing to do with the GPA and as you correctly point out are fully justified.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2014, 01:30:39 PM
My point is the GPA aren't looking to get free stuff for IC players and to paint them as such is nonsense. Most of the things you've listed out have nothing to do with the GPA and as you correctly point out are fully justified.

I wouldn't say that. I remember a time when you got soup and sandwiches after training and bought your own socks and togs. I would think the current advances in the way players are cared for is a direct result of the GPA involvement. This I would see as a positive development.

Zulu

Don't know about that at all. I don't think we ever paid for our physio bills (club or county) and we got socks and togs at county level but no jerseys long before the GPA came along. It's only right and proper for the players to get what they are getting but I think things like gear and food were recognised as reasonable before the GPA were about. We're possibly going around in circles here but the point I was making was that the characterisation of the GPA by some here is way off the mark and unfair.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2014, 01:56:08 PM
Don't know about that at all. I don't think we ever paid for our physio bills (club or county) and we got socks and togs at county level but no jerseys long before the GPA came along. It's only right and proper for the players to get what they are getting but I think things like gear and food were recognised as reasonable before the GPA were about. We're possibly going around in circles here but the point I was making was that the characterisation of the GPA by some here is way off the mark and unfair.

You were obviously later than me. And we certainly didn't get training gear, tracksuits, etc etc. I think the GPA were largely formed because these basics were criminally not available to a lot of counties.

I think the GPA was set up to advance the 'rights' and benefits for inter county players. I actually don't have any issue with that. So if people are saying the GPA is only interested in getting stuff for county players, I say 'so what?'.

I only get exercised when the P word is brought up.

Rossfan

Does this mean all the Summer tourist players on the semi pro US circus will get better pay?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Padraig not happy with Colm -

To criticise the GPA for working too closely with the GAA is "ridiculous" according to GAA director general Páraic Duffy, because initiatives such as the Jim Madden Leadership programme are in both association's best interests.
Talking at the GPA's launch of the new programme yesterday Duffy responded to "criticism a few weeks ago" aimed towards the players' association, mainly via former Meath footballer Colm O'Rourke, because he asserts "anything that supports players is also important for us to be involved in".

orangeman

The weemen are in on the act now.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on December 19, 2014, 11:35:37 AM
Padraig not happy with Colm -

To criticise the GPA for working too closely with the GAA is "ridiculous" according to GAA director general Páraic Duffy, because initiatives such as the Jim Madden Leadership programme are in both association's best interests.
Talking at the GPA's launch of the new programme yesterday Duffy responded to "criticism a few weeks ago" aimed towards the players' association, mainly via former Meath footballer Colm O'Rourke, because he asserts "anything that supports players is also important for us to be involved in".

The GPA couldn't handle orourke obv!!

It's like a school kid not getting his own way so goes squealing to the teachers!!

;D

AZOffaly

Some of what he says is on the mark. If one of the biggest problems today is the preparation and dedication required to compete at Inter County, why is the GPA not trying to force the issue there? That is the ultimate player welfare topic.

I hate to say it, and I know I'll be accused of paranoia or whatever, but does it suit the GPA to have these crazy demands? If the demands continue to escalate, then the logical progression is that the GAA will have to pay players, which will lead to, in my opinion, a 'paid' A championship in Football and Hurling, of maybe 10-12 teams and 8 -10 teams respectively, and a feeder 'B' championship which will be unpaid.

If that is not the endgame as far as they are concerned, then why not attack these concerns of commitment. Even their proposal for the championship restructuring were aimed at increasing the number of games most teams played.

orangeman

People say the GPA have done great work in sorting out food after dinner, mileage rates, physio etc. Surely this is no big boast ?.

Surely there's plenty more things that need sorted out so that inter county players can lead some sort of normal existence and that club players can get a fair crack of the whip as well ?.

Croí na hÉireann

That's not paranoia, that's just common sense.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on January 18, 2016, 10:36:54 AM
People say the GPA have done great work in sorting out food after dinner, mileage rates, physio etc. Surely this is no big boast ?.

Surely there's plenty more things that need sorted out so that inter county players can lead some sort of normal existence and that club players can get a fair crack of the whip as well ?.

In fairness I think that is a boast. When I was knocking around, we had to buy our own socks and togs! The County Secretary took jerseys off us after we finished a championship year, and subs tracksuits were all shared and reused. Gear bags were a luxury. We got sandwiches in the GAA Centre if we were lucky, and a bowl of soup before a championship game.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 10:28:40 AM
Some of what he says is on the mark. If one of the biggest problems today is the preparation and dedication required to compete at Inter County, why is the GPA not trying to force the issue there? That is the ultimate player welfare topic.

I hate to say it, and I know I'll be accused of paranoia or whatever, but does it suit the GPA to have these crazy demands? If the demands continue to escalate, then the logical progression is that the GAA will have to pay players, which will lead to, in my opinion, a 'paid' A championship in Football and Hurling, of maybe 10-12 teams and 8 -10 teams respectively, and a feeder 'B' championship which will be unpaid.

If that is not the endgame as far as they are concerned, then why not attack these concerns of commitment. Even their proposal for the championship restructuring were aimed at increasing the number of games most teams played.

I think you're on the money.

At some point we need to press reset, have a fully enforced shorter season (if you're a county team found training in club jersies in the defined break in a diffierent county you get a meaningful fine), a cap put on spending, a cap put on how often you can train collectively, train individually etc.