Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average Score

Quote from: befair on March 15, 2022, 01:55:26 PM
The absurd lengths that some counties go to mean that all counties have to do the same; it's running to stand still. Football is a hobby and only the tiniest minority will make any kind of living from it. So in their twenties, when they should be travelling the world, launching their real careers, they are instead locked into a spartan existence.
Football is a hobby.

It's the same in everything, parents start getting wee Jimmy tutored for 11+ then wee Micky is then its a must.  GAA has followed strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, sports phycologists (now that is a piss take) one doing it all doing it - some lads making a fortune doing sweet FA.   

trueblue1234

Quote from: Average Score on March 15, 2022, 02:01:10 PM
The absurd lengths that some counties go to mean that all counties have to do the same; it's running to stand still. Football is a hobby and only the tiniest minority will make any kind of living from it. So in their twenties, when they should be travelling the world, launching their real careers, they are instead locked into a spartan existence.
Football is a hobby.

It's the same in everything, parents start getting wee Jimmy tutored for 11+ then wee Micky is then its a must.  GAA has followed strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, sports phycologists (now that is a piss take) one doing it all doing it - some lads making a fortune doing sweet FA.

This is true. And the problem is in the GAA you can't take a step back from it, otherwise you slip back from the pack. The money that must be pumped into county teams to try and eek out that last .5% is unreal. If only all countries agreed to a framework that would be fair both on players time and individual county resources then the GAA would be in a much more positive position. Both with regards to public opinion and players welfares and life balances. Unfortunately that would mean stopping the gravy train and levelling the playing fields to a degree between counties. Will never happen.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Quote from: Louther on March 15, 2022, 01:57:11 PM
65c a mile is a great rate and be employees/Co directors not getting it. Not even sure if revenue approved civil servant rate is higher than this. I think certain GPA learning players would be all over this and love to be getting money out if it. I would think and from talking to some that they happy with what they get.

Those not talking to the media will be running back to them soon when the championship previews are on and they looking the handouts from that.

By the way Parsons is very weak I feel making any case. His point that GAA making millions and quoting the figure is not a good look to be throwing it out in public.
I agree. The GAA organised 4 sessions with anything extra to be negotiated with counties.
It's all addressed

marty34

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 15, 2022, 02:28:19 PM
Football is a hobby.

This is true. And the problem is in the GAA you can't take a step back from it, otherwise you slip back from the pack. The money that must be pumped into county teams to try and eek out that last .5% is unreal. If only all countries agreed to a framework that would be fair both on players time and individual county resources then the GAA would be in a much more positive position. Both with regards to public opinion and players welfares and life balances. Unfortunately that would mean stopping the gravy train and levelling the playing fields to a degree between counties. Will never happen.

Clubs shoulds be putting all their emphasis into the under age teams i.e. nusery and U7.5's etc. This is where all the coaching should be done. 

Currently it's the wrong way about - currently clubs are spending £'s on coaches and S&C etc for the senior team. The question needs to be asked why fund this? It's the wrong way about - a short fix...then in a year or two, they move on. Then it's repeat and do the same.....again and again.

Committee at club level muat change their policy and develop a proper underage coaching structure. Nursery needs about 1 coach to 1 child, U7.5 the exact same. Club committees, I think, just don't get it.  They always want a short fix solution.

trueblue1234

Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2022, 02:55:49 PM
Football is a hobby.

Clubs shoulds be putting all their emphasis into the under age teams i.e. nusery and U7.5's etc. This is where all the coaching should be done. 

Currently it's the wrong way about - currently clubs are spending £'s on coaches and S&C etc for the senior team. The question needs to be asked why fund this? It's the wrong way about - a short fix...then in a year or two, they move on. Then it's repeat and do the same.....again and again.

Committee at club level muat change their policy and develop a proper underage coaching structure. Nursery needs about 1 coach to 1 child, U7.5 the exact same. Club committees, I think, just don't get it.  They always want a short fix solution.

Yeah I agree. The underage should be the primary focus for any club with long term objectives. But the problem is the journey manager that is in the door and has 1-2 years to make an impact. It's not in their interest to worry bout 10 years down the line. And some clubs are unbelievably gullible when it comes to outside managers. Offering everything under the sun to try and get the big name.
Plus you'll have clubs who will have their underage in order, and then they turn to the senior team. Getting in trainers as well as managers, nutritionists, etc. there's always something new to be getting excited about and splashing a few pounds on from cryotherapy ice treatments to nutrition plans that won't be followed by half the players anyway.
It's the world we are in at the minute. Fast results required.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

marty34

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 15, 2022, 03:07:00 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2022, 02:55:49 PM
Football is a hobby.

Yeah I agree. The underage should be the primary focus for any club with long term objectives. But the problem is the journey manager that is in the door and has 1-2 years to make an impact. It's not in their interest to worry bout 10 years down the line. And some clubs are unbelievably gullible when it comes to outside managers. Offering everything under the sun to try and get the big name.
Plus you'll have clubs who will have their underage in order, and then they turn to the senior team. Getting in trainers as well as managers, nutritionists, etc. there's always something new to be getting excited about and splashing a few pounds on from cryotherapy ice treatments to nutrition plans that won't be followed by half the players anyway.
It's the world we are in at the minute. Fast results required.

Clearly this isn't working for clubs.  There is no fast results.
But that's what I'm saying Trueblue - the issue, via my last message, is with the club committee. It's them who apooint the journey man, the short fix before he rolls on to his next gig.

They're the ones who should be shouting STOP - lwt's focus on the underage and by that the nursery and pump the coaches in there. It's them who should be getting all the resources that then need. It's the committee who should be putting a 15 year plan in place to develop the underage system and that everyone in the club buys into.

There's not many club have their underage system in place - there might be the odd good team who'll win U13, then win the U15's etc. but their very litlle who dominate every age group or at least be competitive.  Even at that can they keep them on board and being them through to senior.

Captain Scarlet

Donal O'Neill was on Off the Ball saying tge GAA need to be put back in their box...
Also everyone who works for the GAA is a suit. But the GPA suits aee not suits...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

rosnarun

the GPA cannot go back o the tabl until evey concession they made for covidis restore . if Croke park run rough shot over them they are finished.
it must have been galling for them to hear the Suit boasting about how much money  they made last year.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnnycool

Quote from: rosnarun on March 16, 2022, 12:30:40 PM
the GPA cannot go back o the tabl until evey concession they made for covidis restore . if Croke park run rough shot over them they are finished.
it must have been galling for them to hear the Suit boasting about how much money  they made last year.

GPA are neutered once they accepted the Croke Park €uro's..

They might gurn a bit but they won't bite the hand that feeds it.

They've picked the wrong hill to die on this time IMO.

Captain Scarlet

Is Tom Parsons not a suit on around 100k or more a year?
I don't see any individual hard cases being pout forward either. Surely if a story is to be told you need a personal viewpoint of how bad they have it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Taylor

Surely if a proper audit was carried out players wouldnt get mileage for car sharing?

Wildweasel74

No reason a team can't train just 2 times a, week then 1 with their club teams. It's a money racket all at the top level, more sessions more money, more backroom support teams. Every top level club fball went the same, way, yet only 1 team will win respective championships.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2022, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 15, 2022, 12:31:13 PM
There is a straightforward solution to it all, but no-one wants to talk about it never mind actually grasp the nettle.

1. All championships (both county and inter-county) revert to straight knockout. Less fixtures.
2. No inter-county squads are allowed more than 1 training session per week. If players want to go and run up hills or lift weights to their 'personalised training programs', that's their call. The "work-life" balance option is there if they choose it.
3. Inter-county managers are not allowed to prevent their players playing for their club unless the inter-county game is less than 7 days after the club game.
And the Bishop throws in the ball....

Like I said, no-one wants to talk about it.

The largest problem with inter-county football (and hurling too I suspect) right now is that the time commitment is too much.

Too much for players (who don't have a cushy job) to have much of a life outside it, too much for coaches to take on the job for any extended duration without expectations of pay.

i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

Problem now is the standard of the game.  If you look at now vs 80s or 90s the standards have improved so much and that is due to the preparation and tactics etc. Reduce the training and you reduce the standard. Reduce the standard and you probably reduce the money coming in too.

It has created a massive divide between the better and lesser counties because lesser counties have no chance of winning so then large numbers don't commit. How many threads do you read on this board with players quitting teams? Even Dublin and Tyrone have it.

Too much preparation as people say but how does it get reined in. I doubt it does.  Even lockdown it was clear as day teams were breaching the rules left, right and centre. How could they police sessions in a week.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2022, 08:57:07 PMReduce the standard and you probably reduce the money coming in too.

... and?
i usse an speelchekor