Previous topic - Next topic

Is this a goal??

Yes
69 (76.7%)
No
21 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Club Rossa

Big call from the umpire,and as others have said perhaps the ball had already travelled the extra few inches over the line.Still,from those pics I wouldn't have awarded it.

BennyHarp

Did the goalmouth even still have the line painted on? Most are worn away in the mud especially this time of year.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

That's a goal,  i wanted Ballinderry to win but unlike the ballinderry lads i wouldn't even had the heart to argue about that goal,Slaughtneil Had done enough to win the game and if they had put over the free the missed they been ahead at this stage. plus is seems we too many people watching soccer on here. How many people outside of a referee actually know the rules without referring to the computer or the rulebook. The supporters calls to sent people off, what is a yellow card and a black card seems to be lost on the crowd, plus the ref sometimes himself

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 22, 2014, 07:00:04 PM
That's a goal,  i wanted Ballinderry to win but unlike the ballinderry lads i wouldn't even had the heart to argue about that goal,Slaughtneil Had done enough to win the game and if they had put over the free the missed they been ahead at this stage. plus is seems we too many people watching soccer on here. How many people outside of a referee actually know the rules without referring to the computer or the rulebook. The supporters calls to sent people off, what is a yellow card and a black card seems to be lost on the crowd, plus the ref sometimes himself
[/b]

So in conclusion the supporters and sometimes the refs don't know the rules. As seen on this thread, even checking the rules doesn't provide clarity. I don't think this is down to too many people watching soccer.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

'Ugly Scenes At Derry Final' - and that was just the Ballinderry wemen arriving.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

God14

that pic tickle ends the debate. Certain goal.

johnneycool

Quote from: God14 on October 23, 2014, 10:36:38 AM

Umpire thought it was a goal, signaled as such, ref put it down as a goal.

Its a goal.

End off.

theticklemister

Photo taken down.

This looks like it goes all the way to the top!

orangeman

Quote from: God14 on October 23, 2014, 10:36:38 AM

This picture was taken at the warm up and in any case the ball wasn't over the line.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: PAULD123 on October 22, 2014, 10:27:07 AM
The marking for the line could be any thickness. So for a ball to cross the line meaning it has to travel the thickness of the would be quite variable. The line referred to in the rules and all other field sports is an imaginary line of virtually no thickness. So the inside edge of the marking is in fact the line. The field dimensions are marked to the inside face of the white marking line. The marking should coincide so that no matter how thick it is the inside face lines up exactly with the inside (in-field) face of the posts.

In the picture the whole ball has come inside the face of the posts, thus it has crossed the line at the face of the posts and so it is definitely a goal

Is it not one of those unwritten rules that it should be the same width as the base of the post?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

PAULD123

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 23, 2014, 04:18:27 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on October 22, 2014, 10:27:07 AM
The marking for the line could be any thickness. So for a ball to cross the line meaning it has to travel the thickness of the would be quite variable. The line referred to in the rules and all other field sports is an imaginary line of virtually no thickness. So the inside edge of the marking is in fact the line. The field dimensions are marked to the inside face of the white marking line. The marking should coincide so that no matter how thick it is the inside face lines up exactly with the inside (in-field) face of the posts.

In the picture the whole ball has come inside the face of the posts, thus it has crossed the line at the face of the posts and so it is definitely a goal

Is it not one of those unwritten rules that it should be the same width as the base of the post?

When you are wrong it is best to admit you are wrong. It turns out that the thickness of the marked line is in fact a specific size. And from what I could see in the rules, the pitch dimensions are actually measured to the middle of that marking. So a goal would be if the ball crosses the middle of the marked goal line. Much more confusing than just the inside or outside edge of the marking. Then again the wording is a little unclear so I may be wrong. But in some instances it is definitely taken as the middle of the marking so I guess for goals too.

Maguire01

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 21, 2014, 10:56:29 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 21, 2014, 08:29:30 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 21, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
So some posters hold the belief that  If "any of the ball" crosses the goal-line,then it's a goal???  :o

Not 'any' per sé, but let's say 80%...Is it a goal then?

Not for me, no, the goal-line should surely be the same as any other part of the boundary line. The ball has to be fully over it.

1.1 The ball is in play once it has been thrown in
or kicked after the referee has given a signal to
start or restart play, and it remains in play until:
(a) the referee signals a stop;
(b) the ball has passed completely over any
boundary line
or strikes any flag marking
the boundary lines;

Would that as taken from cornerback's post not cover it?
Is the ball always "fully" over the sideline before a sideline ball is given? Not sure how consistently that rule is understood or applied.

TransitVanMan

Definitely a goal.

Ballinderry up to their antics again against our u21s on Wednesday night, they're a nasty outfit!
Get in the Van!