Attendances at county finals

Started by theticklemister, October 19, 2014, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

What were the attendances at county finals this year. In Derry there were 5000 which I believe was quite impressive.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Club Rossa

Tyrone final had slightly over 8,000 at it.

Plain of the Herbs

Offaly football had 5,314 (and was screened live on TG4)
Offaly hurling had 6,312.

In a county with a population of c70k.

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on October 19, 2014, 10:49:28 PM
5500, or thereabouts,  in Armagh.
Watched the online stream and the commentator mentioned a figure of around 4k, which still isn't bad considering

1. The Armagh SFC has been a formality for Crossmaglen for the past 20 years
2. The increase in price of tickets up to £13
3. The option to watch the games live online from home for £3

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on October 20, 2014, 11:15:32 AM
Watched the online stream and the commentator mentioned a figure of around 4k, which still isn't bad considering

The Stand (capacity 5600) was pretty full, more so than most county games, and there some hundreds, if not one thousand,  in the terrace. I thought it a creditable attendance in the light of the above. I wonder how many did they get on the Internet?

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on October 20, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

The Stand (capacity 5600) was pretty full, more so than most county games, and there some hundreds, if not one thousand,  in the terrace. I thought it a creditable attendance in the light of the above. I wonder how many did they get on the Internet?
That is a good attendance - maybe the CB will release the actual figures including for online.

As an aside, the online stream is a God-send and albeit temperamental at times - I would recommend anyone from other counties to maybe give it a try next year.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on October 20, 2014, 11:43:10 AM

That is a good attendance - maybe the CB will release the actual figures including for online.

As an aside, the online stream is a God-send and albeit temperamental at times - I would recommend anyone from other counties to maybe give it a try next year.

The money stream coming in for the CB at the minute must be pretty significant.  Say there were 4000 full price patrons and maybe another 4000 online watchers(I heard that was an approximate figure for some of the streamed games this year).  That is an income of approximately £65000.  That is a serious taking and should make a fair dent into the financial black hole that is the county finances!

twohands!!!

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 20, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 20, 2014, 11:43:10 AM

The money stream coming in for the CB at the minute must be pretty significant.  Say there were 4000 full price patrons and maybe another 4000 online watchers(I heard that was an approximate figure for some of the streamed games this year).  That is an income of approximately £65000.  That is a serious taking and should make a fair dent into the financial black hole that is the county finances!

Are Armagh's finances in a bad way? Hadnt heard anything about them being in a bad state.

You'd have to imagine playing in Division 3 isnt going to do much for the counties finances, especially given the teams.

RealSpiritof98

For such a small county we have always been able to raise a few quid. The fact of the matter is that money was being taken or spewed uncontrollably. Some of the rumours would have you believe that Hugh Morgan was at fault but he did more than many both in sponsorship and in raising money in certain fundraisers. That fault lies with the sticky fingers mentality that grew within the county board from the gate to the top brass. If there a full scale investigation i wouldn't like to see the outcome tbh.

AZOffaly

That's a fairly serious accusation there.

Shamrock Shore

Longford had 4,500.

As it was a double header with the hurling final the estimated split would be:

Football supporters 4,550
Hurling supporters -50

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 21, 2014, 01:10:46 PM
Longford had 4,500.

As it was a double header with the hurling final the estimated split would be:

Football supporters 4,550
Hurling supporters -50

Pretty impressive proportion of Longfordians there.

Shamrock Shore

QuotePretty impressive proportion of Longfordians there.

The figure would have been boosted by curious Cavan people who would have travelled to see Mullinalaghta.

Some would say Mullinalaghta people are ethnic Cavan folk caught on the wrong side of the county boundry............... :P

(I expect abuse now from Laureleye but I'm only slagging)