Club Gyms

Started by The Bearded One, October 19, 2014, 12:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bearded One

Show of hands please, something we are considering strongly at present;

Does your club have a gym?

Is it open to all members or just players? Are they charged to use it ?

Do you pay someone to manage/operate this?
It is what it is. Presumably.

thewobbler

I think you need to differentiate here.

A gym is a full fitness suite, and if a paid-for service needs to be managed as such, with hot water, equipment checks and maybe some staffing.

A weights room is a collection of free weights, benches and mats, which require next to no maintenance, and don't attract the sort of people who need personal trainers or supervision, or showers, or even heat.

I'd guess only a few percent of clubs have the former.

screenexile

Yeah we have a weights room more than a gym.

It does the job lads would use it outside of their main strength and conditioning training.

maxpower

We have a gym, club sublet it out to an independent operator and is open to anyone. Everyone pays the same membership.

What happens next????

Overthebar!

As previously stated there is a difference between a fitness suite (pretty much a waste of time & money for the vast majority of the population) and a proper gym.

We've kitted out gyms for pretty much every county in Ulster & many other counties / clubs across the country.

Couple of points:

Clubs need to see a gym as an investment and not an expense. A well run gym should pay for itself comfortably although it does require an initial outlay. 5-10k would comfortably outfit a gym which can be used by all codes & ages (and even other members of the club) and last for a long long time (Caveat: If quality equipment is invested in & it is looked after) - Some of our work can be viewed here:

http://efpgyms.com/info/facility-design

When working with clubs I work using a 'hierarchy of equipment system' to utilise the budget & space available most effectively.

I have seen alot of clubs invest heavily in physios yet invest nothing in terms of implementing a sound S&C system / Gym yet they wonder why they are spending thousands every year on physio bills and have a lot of injuries (this is not a dig at physios by any means, any physio worth their salt will know the importance of a sound S&C program to help reduce injuries & improve performance)

It should be mentioned equipment is only a small slice of the pie. Having someone who knows what they are doing is essential. Ideally to take supervised sessions & empower the users with the knowledge to utilise the gym effectively. There is nothing worse than having a gym which no one knows how to use it. 

Many clubs will do a joint venture with a PT / S&C coach which works well if there is someone in the club.

I suggest investing in a fob system to keep it secure and charge players a upfront fee or monthly basis. From experience a donation system doesn't work. It could be part of the players fee also or do a fundraiser...

Drop me a message if you need any more advice and good luck.

Gregory

manfromdelmonte

I'd be careful before throwing money into a gym

you need a culture among the playing members of the club to use such a facility, plus the proper instruction and skillset among coaches to put it to full use.

if the aim was to use the gym for pre season and through the playing season then a hall with some dumbbells, med balls and other simple equipment could do the same job.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 31, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

you need a culture among the playing members of the club to use such a facility, plus the proper instruction and skillset among coaches to put it to full use.

if the aim was to use the gym for pre season and through the playing season then a hall with some dumbbells, med balls and other simple equipment could do the same job.

this is what we have and what is used by our senior team, set up at minimum cost.
I would imagine it would be the way to go for most clubs
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Max Payne

In my opinion that is a waste of time. Any S&C coach I have ever had has told me if you are using Dumbbells you are training for the beach not for Gaelic games. I would have started doing weights the traditional way, lifting dumb bells and bench press, but over the course of time and through good advice I have moved to doing dynamic and functional S&C work which mirrors the movements we use in our games.

On another point our club this year had intended on redesigning our gym into something similar to what EPF use above but instead went with renting out a local gym and trainer and putting the money in there. Cue end of the year and 6/7k spent, the trainer isn't returnning to us next year, our gym is still in need of investment and we have little to show for the money previously spent.

screenexile

Quote from: Max Payne on October 31, 2014, 02:40:58 PM

In my opinion that is a waste of time. Any S&C coach I have ever had has told me if you are using Dumbbells you are training for the beach not for Gaelic games. I would have started doing weights the traditional way, lifting dumb bells and bench press, but over the course of time and through good advice I have moved to doing dynamic and functional S&C work which mirrors the movements we use in our games.

On another point our club this year had intended on redesigning our gym into something similar to what EPF use above but instead went with renting out a local gym and trainer and putting the money in there. Cue end of the year and 6/7k spent, the trainer isn't returnning to us next year, our gym is still in need of investment and we have little to show for the money previously spent.

Dumbells can be used for more than bicep curls!! I'm very sure they have their place in most gyms!

We'd use them every session and have yet to do a bicep/arm curl and they have plenty of functionality with them.

blewuporstuffed

QuoteDumbells can be used for more than bicep curls!! I'm very sure they have their place in most gyms!

We'd use them every session and have yet to do a bicep/arm curl and they have plenty of functionality with them.

Exactly, we would be the same, we have a small collection of 'free weights' and our gym program is based around that.
a few dumbells, weight plates, a squat bar , medicine balls, and some weighted vests.
A gaelic football specific session can be based around theer few peices of equipment alongside a few otehr exercises using just bodyweight etc.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

manfromdelmonte

the only exercise you cannot do with dumbbells that you can with a bar is an overhead squat, everything else that can be done with a bar can be done with a dumbbell or kettlebell

squat, deadlift, row, snatch, lunge, split squat, thruster, press, bench press, squat jump etc etc
then add in a bar to do pull ups, chin ups and horizontal rows
some med balls to do med ball push ups, trunk stability exercises and throwing exercises against a wall
add in some hurdles and basic timber plyo boxes and you've got the most complete gym you'll ever need for team sports.

And teams should be doing mainly one legged training (with dumbbells) as most movements in GAA are done off one leg - running, jumping, landing, side stepping, oh and kicking

screenexile

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 31, 2014, 05:06:05 PM
the only exercise you cannot do with dumbbells that you can with a bar is an overhead squat, everything else that can be done with a bar can be done with a dumbbell or kettlebell

squat, deadlift, row, snatch, lunge, split squat, thruster, press, bench press, squat jump etc etc
then add in a bar to do pull ups, chin ups and horizontal rows
some med balls to do med ball push ups, trunk stability exercises and throwing exercises against a wall
add in some hurdles and basic timber plyo boxes and you've got the most complete gym you'll ever need for team sports.

And teams should be doing mainly one legged training (with dumbbells) as most movements in GAA are done off one leg - running, jumping, landing, side stepping, oh and kicking

Rear foot elevated split squats are the spawn of the devil... worst exercise to do by a mile!!

INDIANA

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 31, 2014, 04:06:13 PM
QuoteDumbells can be used for more than bicep curls!! I'm very sure they have their place in most gyms!

Exactly, we would be the same, we have a small collection of 'free weights' and our gym program is based around that.
a few dumbells, weight plates, a squat bar , medicine balls, and some weighted vests.
A gaelic football specific session can be based around theer few peices of equipment alongside a few otehr exercises using just bodyweight etc.

Any S&C coach who says dumb-bells are "beach weights" isn't an S&C coach.

Gaelic Football gym programmes are straightforward. It's called push and pull.

If you're not pushing or pulling then it's utterly useless for Gaelic Football as an exercise.

I'd be very wary about Olympic lifts unless the execution is spot on. If you have the technique absolutely perform them.

If you don't - do something simple. Outside senior inter county football there is no absolute requirement to be doing Olympic Lifts.

Plenty of other exercises easily as good if you're not sure on the technique.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on October 31, 2014, 10:49:54 PM

If you're not pushing or pulling then it's utterly useless for Gaelic Football as an exercise.

I'd be very wary about Olympic lifts unless the execution is spot on. If you have the technique absolutely perform them.

If you don't - do something simple. Outside senior inter county football there is no absolute requirement to be doing Olympic Lifts.

to a certain extent you are right
however, most GAA players have serious issues with shoulder mobility, ankle mobility and deceleration control (landing) and other stuff that incorporating some olympic techniques is important - overhead squat, single leg corrective exercises, plyometric work on hurdles and boxes

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 31, 2014, 11:14:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 31, 2014, 10:49:54 PM

to a certain extent you are right
however, most GAA players have serious issues with shoulder mobility, ankle mobility and deceleration control (landing) and other stuff that incorporating some olympic techniques is important - overhead squat, single leg corrective exercises, plyometric work on hurdles and boxes

I think we are at cross purposes . I don't consider SL RDL or basic plyometrics to be Olympic lifts. They are standard exercises to me.

Things like performing barbell squats. The amount of GAA players I see in my gym many of them county players executing this exercise with poor technique is unreal. Many of them county players.

Power cleans , hang cleans etc. if your technique isn't right forget about them is my advice