International Rules

Started by Jim Vaughan, October 13, 2014, 10:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2014, 12:09:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2014, 12:00:13 PM
Good to see all the Meath lads are boycotting this.
Obviously the O'Rourkes aren't long enough in Meath to qualify  ;D

Goalkeepers don't count.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aristo 60

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 28, 2014, 12:05:22 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on October 28, 2014, 11:46:59 AM
Seems like if you get on the team once you get to go again as I can't see how Kevin McKernan deserves a spot amongst the elite this year.

Would Marty Clarke have made the panel if he wasn't on honeymoon?

You may ask the bride  :P

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
Most players love it. Only a few absentees that don't have pressing club concerns that prevent them from featuring.

Pull the other one.

It's an open secret that a significant amount of players have little to no interest in the international rules games.

I wouldnt be surprised if Early got somewhere in the region of 50+ "thanks, but no thanks" replies from players.

Jinxy

Like I said before, it's a good opportunity for players from weaker counties like Tipperary and Roscommon to get a bit of exposure.
The absence of top players from Kerry, Dublin and Meath tells its own story.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

I think we'll get a horrible tanking this year. Can't believe they've sent out 4 Mayo men.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 28, 2014, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
Most players love it. Only a few absentees that don't have pressing club concerns that prevent them from featuring.

Pull the other one.

It's an open secret that a significant amount of players have little to no interest in the international rules games.

I wouldnt be surprised if Early got somewhere in the region of 50+ "thanks, but no thanks" replies from players.

If you think there's 50 players or even 25 better than those there you're having a serious laugh.

It's an 'open secret' that the players have much more interest in the series than the GAABoard mafia do. Don't mistake your own feelings for that of players.

ck

Ross Munnelly on the Irish squad, you feckin serious?!! :o

Syferus

Quote from: ck on October 28, 2014, 01:52:30 PM

Still a class player. I remember last year in Carrick when Laois were putrid against Donegal and Munnelly was the only Laois player who had a clue where the posts were or the desire to take the game to the Ulster lads.

Sure he played in both tests last year and has featured on at least three series now, iirc.

Chimley

Quote from: ONeill on October 28, 2014, 01:14:05 PM
I think we'll get a horrible tanking this year. Can't believe they've sent out 4 Mayo men.

Don't forget Pearse Hanley makes 5!

oakleaflad

Quote from: Schkite on October 28, 2014, 12:23:00 PM
What's the story with players still involved with the club, are they waiting to see if they get knocked out before they leave? McManus and Murphy both playing this weekend, are there many others?
Ciaran McDonald and Chrissy McKaigue are still involved in club championship as well.

Rossfan

Quote from: Chimley on October 29, 2014, 10:35:00 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 28, 2014, 01:14:05 PM

Don't forget Pearse Hanley makes 5!

No he doesnt. He's not a Mayo man  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

billabong

Michael Murphy still involved in what could well be a long drawn out Ulster Club championship given Donegal's run this year

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: ck on October 28, 2014, 01:52:30 PM

I always get slated when I say this but I would have had Munnelly close to an All Star this year and most of the past few years. Solid league and absolutely outstanding against Wicklow and Dublin. Tailed off a bit after that. To me there's nothing more heroic than a player who's getting on that still gives his all and shines in a struggling team. Munnelly does that year in and year out. He's the classic example of what's so wrong with handing out All Stars only to teams that make the AI semis.

Anyway no getting away from the fact this is a weak panel. Only five All Stars against a team made up entirely of All Australians. Tonking on the way. I don't care that much but even if I did I'd pretend not to.

Syferus

The players there are in many cases better players than the ones who one All-Stars this year. I wouldn't fancy many of those that are missing for this series that were available, except maybe O'Donaghue and Flynn (didn't Fingallians only lose the Dub Inter final in the last two weeks?). COC is out with the Brigids-Tubber game coming up the weekend after next. Connolly, Higgins the same. Star too but I really wouldn't fancy throwing him out against the Aussies because he could be seriously found out because he wouldn't be able to bully them like he does gaelic FBs. We may well lose, but it certainly isn't a weak panel.