Advice on NI prepaid mobile?

Started by wicked, October 10, 2014, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicked

Greetings. We're traveling to the North in a couple months, and I've lost the old T-Mobile prepaid I've use on past trips. In addition, it seems like T-Mobile is no longer available in NI (at least based on their webpage). Ideally want something with a NI number since that's where the family is and that's where we'll be spending the bulk of our time (Ardglass, Down, etc.).

Any suggestions for companies to go with? O2 is the only other provider I know of. Ideally I'd like to order something ahead of time and have it shipped Stateside so I have it when I land in Dublin.

Thanks in advance.

armaghniac

TMobile combined forces with Orange, I'd say you will still be able to use the SIM if it is still live, but someone from Down can comment on local conditions.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Under Lights

Vodafone eliminates the border ie- no roaming on either side of the map.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Under Lights on October 10, 2014, 10:05:44 AM

Yes but you pay for the privilege...but as a Vodafone customer it is the best coverage in most places,  moved from O2 as it is shocking. 

wicked

Really dumb question while we're on it: can you keep a phone number if you've lost the SIM? I lost the old phone and would love to keep that mobile number because everyone has it, but thinking that's not possible.

P.S. Thanks much for all your help.

Ulick

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2014, 10:11:03 AM

Yes but you pay for the privilege...but as a Vodafone customer it is the best coverage in most places,  moved from O2 as it is shocking.

Lads what way does that work? I'm about to move down south but presumably if I kept my (northern) number anyone calling me from the south would still have to make an international call?

Here wicked, I wouldn't bother if I was you  ;) - was in Ardglass and Ballyhornan the other week and couldn't get a signal for love nor money. Had a great feed in Curran's in Chapletown though. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ulick on October 10, 2014, 10:44:45 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2014, 10:11:03 AM

Lads what way does that work? I'm about to move down south but presumably if I kept my (northern) number anyone calling me from the south would still have to make an international call?

Here wicked, I wouldn't bother if I was you  ;) - was in Ardglass and Ballyhornan the other week and couldn't get a signal for love nor money. Had a great feed in Curran's in Chapletown though.

It would depend on their contract Ulick.  I know with mine I pay an extra £5 a month and I can call all numbers north and south and send texts and it all comes out of my minutes.  I also don't get charged any roaming charges for receiving calls.  It is brilliant given the service issues around the border.

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2014, 11:01:07 AM
It would depend on their contract Ulick.  I know with mine I pay an extra £5 a month and I can call all numbers north and south and send texts and it all comes out of my minutes.  I also don't get charged any roaming charges for receiving calls.  It is brilliant given the service issues around the border.

Brilliant in one sense, if you are happy to pay for something which should not be extra.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2014, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2014, 11:01:07 AM

Brilliant in one sense, if you are happy to pay for something which should not be extra.

Agreed but there is no option at the minute.

BenDover

did i not hear that Three have free calls and texts in over 16* EU countries, surely this would eliminate the border charges and paying extra for the privilege http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_hp_rbn1652#feel-at-home-destinations

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BenDover on October 10, 2014, 12:46:00 PM
did i not hear that Three have free calls and texts in over 16* EU countries, surely this would eliminate the border charges and paying extra for the privilege http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_hp_rbn1652#feel-at-home-destinations

Service wise it was not an option.