Aaron Kernan Retires From County Duty

Started by stpauls, October 07, 2014, 05:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Saddened by the news and I wish them both all the best.

Opportunity for new blood to get a run, we will be fine.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

JP

Concerned about the loss of their experience,however still feeling optimistic for next year. Plenty of cover in their positions.

drici

orangeman

Given that the county teams make most of the money for the GAA I can't see them stepping in to curtail this 5/6 nights a week stuff that is ongoing in most counties at the minute. But how long will men stick with this sort of stuff ?. The amateur ethos is severely under pressure.

Captain Obvious

That training schedule... to quote Fr Ted are we going into space!? i can't feel my legs!

Gold

That training schedule is a disgrace. How could anyone with a job do that? Madness
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

brokencrossbar1

I stated 3-4 weeks ago that this was happening on another thread and I was told it wasn't happening. Nonsense isn't the word for it and it is taking an amateur sport to a complete ridiculous level.

supersub

It isn't usually until after a team wins the Provincial/All Ireland that you hear of these early morning sacrifices etc. The fact it is being publicised in the likes of the IN so soon isn't something I'm sure the management are too happy with.

Zulu

Why is it ridiculous to train like that? Amateur swimmers train around 5.30 in the morning, triathletes, marathon runners, some combat sport athletes etc. train 5-8 times a week while holding down jobs. I used to train mornings and evenings and never found it difficult. It isn't a burden for lads who are trying to be the best they can and I'm sure these extra sessions are just for pre-season and will be reduced after 2 months or so. I'm sure the morning sessions are gym ones done by the players themselves in local gyms and the evening seeing are group conditioning sessions.

imtommygunn

How close to home were you training though? Travel big factor too i imagine.

rrhf

Would most decent hardworking men not be in work at that time.  Free loading county players getting it handy putting their hobby before profit.

;)

Zulu

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2014, 12:38:00 PM

Absolutely, travel is the key factor but I'm presuming the morning gym sessions are done by players at their local gym. The evening sessions would involve travelling for many players but would it be excessive in a county the size of Armagh? I'd also imagine Sigerson players may not have to attend all sessions as they wouldn't need them. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a degree of flexibility involved in the programme.

LCohen

Quote from: Zulu on December 14, 2014, 12:53:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2014, 12:38:00 PM

Absolutely, travel is the key factor but I'm presuming the morning gym sessions are done by players at their local gym. The evening sessions would involve travelling for many players but would it be excessive in a county the size of Armagh? I'd also imagine Sigerson players may not have to attend all sessions as they wouldn't need them. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a degree of flexibility involved in the programme.

Nah. Armagh have a new super-duper gym facility in Armagh. Apparently you have to use it. A hell of a trek from somewhere like cross or if you were working/studying in say Belfast.

If players of the quality of Carragher are dropping out I would be worried. Geezer is taking the gamble that the players super-fit players who are prepared to live this life who ultimately form a better quality proposition than just taking the best players in the county and training them along conventional lines and maybe losing that final 2-3% of fitness.

The worry for Armagh is not only the players that these lads could be in 2015 but the players they go on to be in the 5 year mega-term that Geezer has been given

Donnellys Hollow

McGeeney had a similarly demanding training regime in Kildare. It produced an upturn in fortunes for a number of years but it is very hard to sustain that progress for too long. Players are not machines and it takes its toll after a few years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Milltown Row2

Cracking stylish player and seemed to be the type of person who looked after himself properly both on the pitch and off it, massive loss for Armagh and massive boost for Cross, watched him against us twice in the Ulster club games and by feck did he grab the game by the scruff when it was needed..... fecker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea