Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ard mhaca abu

QuoteRe: Donegal v Armagh Championship game
« Reply #285 on: Today at 10:24:06 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

of course duffy is no corner back, but someone has to do a job there. if moriarty starts, someone else will be coming in after 15 minutes.

thought finn done alright during the national league...

Uladh

He wasn't good enough for sigerson football so thats not a good indicator for starters. apart from a commendable performance during a thrashing in portlaois i thought he was very poor through the league.

ard mhaca abu

QuoteHe wasn't good enough for sigerson football so thats not a good indicator for starters. apart from a commendable performance during a thrashing in portlaois i thought he was very poor through the league.

sure he was marking micheal o'rourke in the sigerson final...

Uladh

That was my point. he got an absolute roasting in the semi final and then o'rourke had a virtual field day on him in the final. Neither men are establish county players and it's likely he'd have to mark mcfadden or mcmennamin on sunday week.

ard mhaca abu

to be fair to both of them...think micheal had an excellent game that day and wouldve probably giving most corner backs in the country a headache that day...

tackle

Quote from: Uladh on May 18, 2007, 10:32:47 AM

He wasn't good enough for sigerson football so thats not a good indicator for starters. apart from a commendable performance during a thrashing in portlaois i thought he was very poor through the league.
Finn mo had a bad day that day.  but alot of poly men had that day also!  Uladh think ure bein slightly harsh on finn there.  Although not an established county player yet, he done ok during the league while playin alot of football and carrying an injury also.  He was one of the main men on the u21 AI side in 2004!  Duffy could do a job in there yes especially on wazza but there is no guarantee hellc be playin so it up in the air!

Imposerous

Sorry, Jinky, I replied further yesterday but my message failed to post.  The match was held-up by 15 mins to allow McAnaeaney to get there from the Longford Westmeath game – you'd have thought that a local ref could have handled this.  The game itself was pretty free-flowing and there were some nice passages of play from both teams.  Obviously with your Champo game only a week away the challenges were not as full-blooded as they'll be on Sunday, but it was still  a robust.  Meath's movement and support play was very good indeed (but Armagh were able to intercept several moves) and they were finding it difficult to work to ball into the full forward line.  Meath then took some very nice scores from distance.  Your half back line were competent, but then were faced by Paddy McKeever and S Kernan (Martin O Rourke played in the hole and deeper).  Very tall mid-field.  Your No 8 wouldn't have looked out of place on 5th Avenue, so I was glad to see our two young lads compete aireally here.  Sorry I am unable to name your players as I was slightly late in and then there was a fire and a space ship.... Ah, feck it, I didn't want to pay €3!  The recognisable GG started at full forward but played in the half back line attacking with great purpose.  When was the last time he played in that position?

Uladh

The point i was making is that neither o'rourke nor andy moran are established intercounty forwards an he wasn't within an ass's roar of coping with either.

Spiritof98

It's obivious you guys are friends with Finnian and it blinds you 's in giving an opinion on his performances, he was poor in the Sigerson Final, you claim a lot of the Poly team was yet it went to extra time, agree that Duffy could do a job in CB but IMO a fully fit Duffy has to play further up the field and maybe there's a place for him in the half forwards in front of Kernan or maybe vice versa.

Tackle, AMA any chance of not using nicknames, Im getting confused on this dizzy friday.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

ard mhaca abu

QuoteIMO a fully fit Duffy has to play further up the field and maybe there's a place for him in the half forwards in front of Kernan or maybe vice versa.

to be honest i think arron is a better footballer than duffy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion..

Uladh

I think he meant the more obvious kernan...

Anyway, the corner back position is a major headache and we are all operating under the assumption that enda ill be on the top of his game too, which hasn't always been the case recently.

ard mhaca abu

Quotewe are all operating under the assumption that enda ill be on the top of his game too, which hasn't always been the case recently

enda usually rises his game against donegal, but he normally picks up devenney though he might not be fit for next week...

Imposerous

I have to agree with the scepticism on Moriarty's ability.  I'm afriad McFadden would dominate him.  I'd like to see Duffy in corner back.  He may not have the height to deal with McFadden (as in O'Sullivan last year) but I'd have more confidence in him than Finn Mo.  While he probably is better suited further up the field, Duffy is more versatile than any other of the starting half backs so why hamper them when Duffy can do the job effectively in the corner without having to compromising others.
By the way, Andy Mallon did not play on Sunday from what I can remember.  The full back line was Donaghy, McNulty and Moririty.
On Paul McCormack, good player, good defender, but felt his lack of pace often left him exposed.
the team I'd like to see against Donegal (considering known injuries):
Hearty
A Mallon Toner Duffy
McKeever Geezer A Kernan
McGrane/Lavery
Vernon Marsden O'Rourke
McDonnell Keenan McConville

O'Rourke to sit much deeper than usual with a more defend and break brief than usual.
Keenan to be given 20 mins to see if his hieght and pace can trouble Campbell.  Neither Loughran nor Mackin have convinced in FF - not that Keenan did against Galway, but he seems a more flexible and mobile.  I thought Loughran was very robotic in FF - at one point he couldn't contort his body to take a score with his left in front of the posts in the 2nd half against Westmeath.  At least Keenan can kick with either foot, and with space and quick thinking needed at Champo pace I'd like to see Keenan tried for this reason.  By the way, on Sunday  Ithought he had bulked up considerably.  

Armamike

Assuming that the likely starting line up will include S Kernan and P McKeever in the half fowards the prognosis for the Donegal game isn't looking good at this point imo - neither player in the recent past have shown that they are willing or capable of defending from the front. I have visions of the Donegal half back line attacking at will and setting up countless attacks.  We definetely need players like Vernon and Toal fit on the bench to come on when (rather than if!) needed. Playing Toner at midfield ahead of Lavery would be a bit of a surprise. Both are good options, but Lavery has had a bit more experience there this year. McGeeney at CHB is a more reliable presence than McKeever there. McGeeney's obviously keeping himself fit as always but i'd worry that he would be able to cope in terms of mobility still.  Forker could be a useful sub at corner forward if needed - the lad really improved as the year went on with the under 21s and his confidence levels should be high.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ard mhaca abu

QuoteHearty
A Mallon Toner Duffy
McKeever Geezer A Kernan
McGrane/Lavery
Vernon Marsden O'Rourke
McDonnell Keenan McConville

no room for enda?

QuoteBy the way, on Sunday  Ithought he had bulked up considerably. 

must be the weights comin out in him..lol