Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Heard from a weebirdie that Devenney may make the bench, but still tight.
Tbc....

Imposerous

Took a race down to Senchalstown last Sunday evening.  Thankfully the rain held off allowing for a good workout.  A few observations:  I have been a critic of Martin O'Rourke in the past - and although only a challenge game - he was impressive: doing the things he is often feted for but really rarely delivers consistently. Where he was most impressive was in and around the half and full back lines where he showed excellent reading of the game and picked up a lot more ball that when sweeping round the middle.  I would love to see him sitting back in this role against Donegal and breaking forward only when he can – which on Sunday he did sporadically, but to great effect.  With Francie missing and Aaron's forays we a extra and constant presence in this area.
I'm afraid Fin Mo wasn't great and a bad handling error allowed Meath in for their first goal.  McKinney did nothing wrong in nets, but Hearty was the much bigger and vocal presence in the 2nd half.  He also pulled off a great reaction save from Sheridan towards the end.  Thought Ciaran McKeever did a good harrying job at wing-back and looked much more at home than in the centre.
Toner – wholly committed – and Lavery did well against a very big midfield.  I would have confidence in either partnering McGrane.  Neil Gallagher and Cassidy will be a tough test aerially and physically.
I'm afraid Stephen Kernan was poor.  At times he looked frightened and although he will start (the team has been named to the players) I fear he will be cruelly exposed by McGee.  Paddy McKeever was very poor indeed.  Our half forward problems remain the most stark.
Stevie was very good without stretching himself and Oisin showed glimpses of class when he was bothered.  Mal Mackin, who limped off, was totally ineffective.  I know it's unfair to compare most with Clarke in that role, but I can't recall when Mackin had a game where you could say he's county material (last year's McKenna Cup game for the Poly?).  He has all the attributes bar pace, perhaps, like Swift he's not up to it.

High Catch

Imposerous, excellent report. Did any of the subs make an impact? How did McGeeney play?

Jinxy

Imposerous, what did you think of Meath? Bearing in mind we're playing the Lilies on Sunday.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

When is the new Armagh jersey out. And can it be got in Belfaast city centre.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Donagh

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 17, 2007, 11:32:18 AM
When is the new Armagh jersey out. And can it be got in Belfaast city centre.

Next Thursday from O'Neill's on Kennedy Way. What's the word on tickets Fiodoir - have you put your name down yet?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I haven't had time to scratch me proverbials of late. Have to get down to the club - though I got an offer to sit in the commentary box with my contacts  ;D

You sort the jerseys (I'm still medium!) and I'll sort out a request for the tickets (x4) - apparently, some Donegal /Tyrone/Derry and South-east Antrim chaps want to travel on the Vengabus - soon, I hope, to be sponsored by 2 ex-county players................

Donagh - is your name down cos I just got thru to the club - tickets probably to be given out next Thursday night, 24th May.

Uladh

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 17, 2007, 11:37:42 AM
I got an offer to sit in the commentary box with my contacts  ;D

Will Jimmy let you sit on his knee?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

My contact is Tigger. Maybe I should sit on his mouth.

Err, that sounds worse than it was meant

Donagh

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 17, 2007, 11:37:42 AM
Donagh - is your name down cos I just got thru to the club - tickets probably to be given out next Thursday night, 24th May.

Cheers, have been up to my eyes here all week. Told the bro to put my name down for the bus as well, have a feeling he may have omitted my name ;)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I asked for 4 but if I get 2 that's a result - mind, one has to go to thon goose lad.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 17, 2007, 12:53:05 PM
I asked for 4 but if I get 2 that's a result - mind, one has to go to thon goose lad.

Ah lads don't be worrying about tickets now, sure it'll be a long way to travel just to be disappointed!  ;D
Tbc....

Orchard Warrior

It's not true that the armagh team has been named to the players but its easy enough to work out.

Hearty
Mallon
McNulty
Moriarty
kernan
McGeeney
McKeever
McGrane
Toner
o'rourke
S Kernan
McKeever
McDonnell
Marsden
McConville

With the obvious exception, the personnel may be as strong as whats currently available for selection.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 17, 2007, 01:04:01 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on May 17, 2007, 12:53:05 PM

Ah lads don't be worrying about tickets now, sure it'll be a long way to travel just to be disappointed!  ;D

further for you, 3-counties

Uladh

Quote from: Orchard Warrior on May 17, 2007, 01:09:56 PM
With the obvious exception, the personnel may be as strong as whats currently available for selection.

What might the obvious exception be ?

???