Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Which teams are you referring to as "better back door teams"?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ONeill

Quote from: heganboy on May 27, 2007, 06:55:57 PM
Which teams are you referring to as "better back door teams"?

Cavan, Clare and London.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Armagh were really unlucky today. Just one of those things - you cannot legislate for a complete clusterfuck like that from Hearty. Never thought Armagh would lose this until the goal. Armagh will still have a bit to say in this championship and teams will do well to avoid them.

CiKe

O'Rourke shouldn't have reacted but I wonder what McIvor said. Managers are just as responsible as the players on the pitch and I'd hope that action would be taken against the manager as well if it was proven that he did say something. A push wasn't much, it's not the end of the world but he should be disciplined as an example.

Due to living in London I haven't seen any league football but when I saw Armagh's first fifteen I was very surprised at all the pessimism floating around, and fully expected them to win (that said I'm still amazed that Paddy Mckeever gets his game, as he contributed very little any time I have watched Armagh over the last number of years - maybe I'm missing something). They were the better team today and I don't see anyone looking forward to playing them.

dec

Disappointing result for Armagh. The misses in the first half I just put down to rustiness. I was more annoyed with the latter part of the second. Only one point in the last 20 minutes was a poor return given how much possession we had.

Tyrones own

Quote from: stew on May 27, 2007, 06:50:47 PM
Donegal to win the Ulsterin a canter, we will hopefully meet them again at the business end of the season, i hope to feck they hammer their next opponent.

Now Now Stew, no call for that, we are your neighbours ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Smokin Joe

Just back from Ballybofey.  Disappointing to lose in that fashion.

Brendan Donaghy had a stormer as did McGrane.

No comment on Bannon's failure ti give Kavanagh a second yellow card in the first half for his clotheslining of Padd McKeever.

Stevie was off the pace the first half, did better the second but we always knew we'd struggle for scores given our 6 forwards.

SK, hardly won a ball, but as usual Martin O'Rourke is always the first man called ashore.

J70

Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 27, 2007, 07:26:31 PM
Ju
No comment on Bannon's failure ti give Kavanagh a second yellow card in the first half for his clotheslining of Padd McKeever.

Kavanagh deserved a second yellow, but youse have got away with similar situations plenty of times against us in the past.

pintsofguinness

QuoteSK, hardly won a ball, but as usual Martin O'Rourke is always the first man called ashore.

That was a joke, O'Rourke was playing well I thought, certainly the best of the half fowards.  Replaced by Mal Mackin who actually had the ball lifted out of his hands at the very end.  I think that was his first touch as well?
I think I've made my feelings known on Stephen Kernan.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

aodhruadh

I'm still wondering how we came away with a win today - but we've had so much disappointment v Armagh in recent years that I think we were due a break.

Donegal's forwards will need big improvement for the next day, but I doubt we will come up against as committed and tough defending for the rest of the year (unless we meet Armagh again!). So I think we have plenty of reasons to be optimistic over the next few mths. At least we had some great options to spring from the bench today (Devenney, Sweeney, Wappa) which will always lift the fans and the players.

Best for Donegal today I thought were McFadden (for the frees), Neil Gallagher, Durcan, and the defence as a whole played quite well I thought.  Awful were M Hegarty (not worth his place against the big teams), and not much better was Toye.

Thought the ref was a shambles, but bad for both teams. Armagh could complain particularly about McConagley not getting sent off, and the "free from where the ball lands" debacle.

I'm sure the Armagh team and supporters are sick tnt, they didnt deserve to lose, but if they keep playing like that they will have plenty to say in the latter stages.

ONeill

Quote from: stew on May 27, 2007, 06:50:47 PM
Donegal to win the Ulsterin a canter, we will hopefully meet them again at the business end of the season, i hope to feck they hammer their next opponent.

Jeez Stew that's a bit harsh. After all we've been through since 2001?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: aodhruadh on May 27, 2007, 07:35:38 PM
I'm still wondering how we came away with a win today - but we've had so much disappointment v Armagh in recent years that I think we were due a break.

Donegal's forwards will need big improvement for the next day, but I doubt we will come up against as committed and tough defending for the rest of the year (unless we meet Armagh again!). So I think we have plenty of reasons to be optimistic over the next few mths. At least we had some great options to spring from the bench today (Devenney, Sweeney, Wappa) which will always lift the fans and the players.

Best for Donegal today I thought were McFadden (for the frees), Neil Gallagher, Durcan, and the defence as a whole played quite well I thought.  Awful were M Hegarty (not worth his place against the big teams), and not much better was Toye.

Thought the ref was a shambles, but bad for both teams. Armagh could complain particularly about McConagley not getting sent off, and the "free from where the ball lands" debacle.

I'm sure the Armagh team and supporters are sick tnt, they didnt deserve to lose, but if they keep playing like that they will have plenty to say in the latter stages.

Definitely agree about the Armagh defense - the passage of defensive play that lead to their goal was astonishing.

Apart from the win, the silver lining from today is that the hype will cool a little. For the next few weeks, we will be written off as serious contenders, and if Tyrone get Mulligan, O'Neill and so on back, we will go into the next match as definite underdogs. Devenney should be fit by then as well. Speaking of Hegarty, I'd say there is a good chance Adrian Sweeney might start at centre forward instead of him.

aodhruadh

Adrian definitely deserves a start J70.  He seems to have put in a lot of effort last winter and judging by his point today and in the league final, he's itching to get back in the team.

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 27, 2007, 07:31:08 PM

I think I've made my feelings known on Stephen Kernan.

stephen kernan = not up to it
aaron kernan = best in ireland
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Over the Bar

QuoteWhich teams are you referring to as "better back door teams"?

?