Paul Earley's Ireland International Rules Squad

Started by Rossfan, October 02, 2014, 05:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Some terrible shooting by the Irish, not even getting a 1 pointer with a few shots.

Murphy was very subdued for the captain of the team,  agree about Hanley did very little.. Australia were impressive, but not a surprise when it was one of their strongest ever teams .

INDIANA

Quote from: maigheo on November 22, 2014, 11:58:55 AM
Jeez Indiana but you are an ignorant oaf.I know you like to give the impression that you know something about sport but I doubt you ever kicked a ball in your life.I also know you do not like Mayo people but slagging off amateur players is the height of ignorance.And by the way there were still 3 Mayo players on when Ireland made there comeback

In contrast to the Mayo lads I've actually got a Celtic cross . If that constitutes being an oaf then I'm sure it's got to be a badge of honour.

My analysis was not based on them as gaelic footballers but as suited to international rules. Aidan o se , Keegan , colm o neill just aren't suited to it . You need players who are capable of playing in 3-4 positions who have the athleticism to go with it. Plus two shooters up front .

The vast majority of gaelic footballers including many dublin players aren't suited to that game. I believe it's a very finite crew and they are not always the most skilful players around

So before tiu go around calling people oafs make the emotion out of it and analyse the game properly.

Schkite

Had a look on the BigFooty forum out of interest to see the Aussie view and they linked to this thread!

They seem amused with the Mayo bashing:

"These "Mayo" players are getting a bit of a hiding"

"Get a seasoned Goalkeeper from a local semi pro soccer team and field an Irish team not full of these supposed 'Mayo' guys and it would be quite the spectacle."

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2014, 01:49:53 PM
Quote from: maigheo on November 22, 2014, 11:58:55 AM
Jeez Indiana but you are an ignorant oaf.I know you like to give the impression that you know something about sport but I doubt you ever kicked a ball in your life.I also know you do not like Mayo people but slagging off amateur players is the height of ignorance.And by the way there were still 3 Mayo players on when Ireland made there comeback

In contrast to the Mayo lads I've actually got a Celtic cross . If that constitutes being an oaf then I'm sure it's got to be a badge of honour.

My analysis was not based on them as gaelic footballers but as suited to international rules. Aidan o se , Keegan , colm o neill just aren't suited to it . You need players who are capable of playing in 3-4 positions who have the athleticism to go with it. Plus two shooters up front .

The vast majority of gaelic footballers including many dublin players aren't suited to that game. I believe it's a very finite crew and they are not always the most skilful players around

So before tiu go around calling people oafs make the emotion out of it and analyse the game properly.

Nicking one doesn't count.

And Boyle has one.
MWWSI 2017

Catch and Kick

I don't see how Colm Begley is picked for these games. He kicked a number of frees which were intercepted by a man standing in front of him...

rodney trotter

Quote from: Schkite on November 22, 2014, 12:16:33 PM
Feck it, just realised McManus was the top Irish scorer. Meant to stick a few quid on him, great odds even after his scoring last year. Well done to him for winning the Irish player of the series award too, showed up well in the second half. He had a hectic build up aswell with the late flight out etc.

He done very well for a fella that flew out on Monday, it's a pity the other Irish forwards weren't on form too.

Connolly, Paul Flynn, and Kieran Donaghy  would have been useful players to have in there only for Club commitments.

Aerlik

>:( >:(

Just home from the game with Mini-me and it is hard for a father to listen to the teasing of his 13 yo son after his team lost.   I've been away too long to know all the Irish players enough to comment/criticise but I will say that highlight was the Mexican wave.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Real Talk

Don't think our most suitable players want to or are unable to devote the time to prepare and travel for this stuff.  Not to mention those who are involved in Club/Provincial Championship games.   McManus was brilliant and is always consistently good

INDIANA

Quote from: Real Talk on November 22, 2014, 02:09:29 PM
Don't think our most suitable players want to or are unable to devote the time to prepare and travel for this stuff.  Not to mention those who are involved in Club/Provincial Championship games.   McManus was brilliant and is always consistently good

It's not Gaelic Football. A lot of rubbish in social media circles saying we should get the All stars etc out for this. We had several all-stars today including Michael murphy and they just aren't suited to it. A lot of them don't have the mobility for it.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2014, 01:22:58 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2014, 01:17:04 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 22, 2014, 12:48:26 PM
This picking Mayo players thingy has to stop. It's killing the series.

Have to agree. Disgrace these lads give their time to this Mickey Mouse game! The game is a nice 'pretend its important game' for some players who don't get to play in big games anymore!  ;D

Like Lee Keegan?

Give us your opinion on how the mighty Cregger did if you have something to say?  Whats that, ah the sound of silence, I suppose even for you its hard to hype up someone who I think touched the ball once or twice, just crawl back under your rock until the fbd starts again and then all these thorough bred rossies will be the greatest of the greatest again, what a tool you really are.

Rossfan

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 22, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
Some terrible shooting by the Irish, not even getting a 1 pointer with a few shots.

The orgies of handpassing and throwing the ball over the bar has left us with some leading inter Co players who simply have no kicking accuracy whatsoever.
I think O'Shea certainly deserves a medal for the widest shot ever ;D
Cathal Cregg totally unsuited to this game and unfortunately was as bad as i expected.
And would ye rhubarbs lave poor Syferushín alone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

It is a different type of game compared to Gaelic football and is more suited to big strong players who have speed, we have alot of big and strong players playing Gaelic but its the speed factor which makes the different, How many mobile big men are there in the country, would seamus O`Shea speed not be more suitbale than his brothers high fielding, would MD Macauley not be more suited than big Moran, again a big fielder but not as speedy. Its a horses for course type of game, the grimley twins used to run riot at this type of game as they where actually physically bigger than the Aussie but never stood out at the Gaelic football.

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on November 22, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 22, 2014, 01:44:47 PM

The orgies of handpassing and throwing the ball over the bar has left us with some leading inter Co players who simply have no kicking accuracy whatsoever.lti
I think O'Shea certainly deserves a medal for the widest shot ever ;D
Cathal Cregg totally unsuited to this game and unfortunately was as bad as i expected.
And would ye rhubarbs lave poor Syferushín alone.

I Wouldn't necessarily agree. Earley didn't pick a good squad. You have to forget about Gaelic Football.

Multi adaptable players who are comfortable in defence and attack should form the basis of the squad with a few shooters.

We picked a lot of skillful forwards and slow midfielders.

The dye was cast before they left Ireland

macdanger2

Quote from: lawnseed on November 22, 2014, 10:42:56 AM
All is going to plan i'd say. With a cup on the table the mayo players are doing exactly what they always do..
Worst irish team ever?

Sounds like someone's sister has been riding Mayo men all around her and poor lawnseed is jealous  ;D

macdanger2

Poor kick passing from Ireland all over the pitch. Improved massively in the second half, Donnelly was the best irish player I thought. McManus and O'Rourke good too. McLoughlin played better in the second half and was involved in a lot of good moves - like the rest of the irish players, he realised that you can't just pick up the ball when surrounded by Aussies. Would have expected a lot more from Hanley.