Irish in San Francisco rush to repair damage after J-1 students destroy house

Started by barryqwalsh, September 25, 2014, 09:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryqwalsh

The Irish community in San Francisco has rushed to offer help and support to Ritu Vohra, the landlady whose house was severely damaged by a group of Irish students in San Francisco for the summer on the J-1 visa.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-in-San-Francisco-rush-to-repair-damage-after-J-1-students-destroy-house.html

barryqwalsh

Foreign Students Trash SF Rental House Then Leave Country
San Francisco landlord Ritu Vohra thought she would give exchange students from Ireland a break on rent for staying in her home. But a break doesn't begin to describe what she discovered when they moved out. Christin Ayers reports. (9/19/14)

See the video below and share it so we can expose these bastards

VIDEO
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/10606223-foreign-students-trash-sf-rental-house-then-leave-country/

Gabriel_Hurl

I see one of the students is having a go at the landlord for having his name "defamed" during the interview  ::)

Along with the usual excuses "my name wasn't on the lease / the damage was created by a bunch of outsiders who were invited back to a wild party at the house"

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Named-and-shamed-Irish-student-says-he-was-defamed-by-San-Fran-landlord.html

armaghniac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 25, 2014, 03:22:01 PM
I see one of the students is having a go at the landlord for having his name "defamed" during the interview  ::)

Along with the usual excuses "my name wasn't on the lease / the damage was created by a bunch of outsiders who were invited back to a wild party at the house"

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Named-and-shamed-Irish-student-says-he-was-defamed-by-San-Fran-landlord.html

Nothing to do with people in the house at all!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Asal Mor

This reminds of a thing they have in China called Cyber manhunts, where someone posts a video of someone doing something awful, and internet users try to figure out the identity of the person and post his/her contact details online and the person is subjected to horrific abuse and has their life ruined. The problem is that sometimes it's the wrong person and even if it's not, who are we to judge? We all have moments in our lives we're not proud of. Imagine if these moments were caught on video and posted on youtube for the world to judge us. Personally, I've done  a lot worse in my life than what these students did. They might deserve to face criminal charges, but I don't think anyone deserves to face internet vigilante justice.

armaghniac

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 25, 2014, 03:37:35 PM
They might deserve to face criminal charges, but I don't think anyone deserves to face internet vigilante justice.

I imagine if the damage is paid for, then nobody will be hunting them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Asal Mor

vertigonights

This reminds of a thing they have in China called Cyber manhunts, where someone posts a video of someone doing something awful, and internet users try to figure out the identity of the person and post his/her contact details online and the person is subjected to horrific abuse and has their life ruined. The problem is that sometimes it's the wrong person and even if it's not, who are we to judge? We all have moments in our lives we're not proud of. Imagine if these moments were caught on video and posted on youtube for the world to judge us. Personally, I've done  a lot worse in my life than what these students did. They might deserve to face criminal charges, but I don't think anyone deserves to face internet vigilante justice.

yes we may have done worse in the moment, but these dicks have done this over a period of months and then got out of the country. Its someones home they have wrecked and dont have the balls to even face the woman about their actions. Doing something in a drunken moment can be forgiven but these clowns werent drunk their entire stay, to hell with them.

StGallsGAA

QuoteI see one of the students is having a go at the landlord for having his name "defamed" during the interview  ::)

Presumably he's a Liverpool supporter!  Always blaming some other people! ;)

barryqwalsh

Quote from: armaghniac on September 25, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
They might deserve to face criminal charges, but I don't think anyone deserves to face internet vigilante justice.

I imagine if the damage is paid for, then nobody will be hunting them.

They should be held to account. This will have knock on effects, Americans will be reluctant to rent to Irish students in the future if they are concerned the house will be trashed.

The major issue is not money, it is the reputational damage to the Irish community and to Ireland.

Aerlik

This is the kind of bullshit that similar little spoilt brat wankers got up to here in Perth, ruining the opportunities and reputations of those of us who live here on more than a holiday visa.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

cadhlancian

I've been living in San Diego for nearly 15 years. The irish students have been wrecking houses/ apartments for the whole time I've been here. Embarrassing . Tbh, it's only a matter of time before one or more of them finishes up with their heads chopped off in Tijuana . They are down there every night, hundreds of them. It will happen, trust me.....

Hardy

It is a cultural phenomenon that appears to be peculiar to us. I can't figure out where it comes from, but it's not new. I experienced it ( only slightly less destructively) in my J1 days a few decades ago.

barryqwalsh

The Irish passport office and US State Department should advise future J-1 students that they will be held accountable for the condition of their accommodation after they leave.

Let them know, if they do the wrong thing, video footage could end up on Facebook and YouTube.

They could also be prevented from entering the US again, even for a holiday.

barryqwalsh

Foreign Students Trash SF Rental House Then Leave Country
San Francisco landlord Ritu Vohra thought she would give exchange students from Ireland a break on rent for staying in her home. But a break doesn't begin to describe what she discovered when they moved out. Christin Ayers reports. (9/19/14)

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/10606223-foreign-students-trash-sf-rental-house-then-leave-country/

Maybe we could write to Ritu Vohra to express our embarrassment. I don't have her address, but I am sure the Irish consulate in San Francisco could pass on letters.

What do you think of that suggestion?
Barry