Sinn Fien stance on Welfare Reform

Started by Keepthefaith93, September 24, 2014, 08:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keepthefaith93

Can someone explain to me why Sinn Fien are against welfare reform?

billabong

Could be wrong but I would say a mixture of not implementing Tory cuts and not to be seen opposing austerity in the South whilst implementing it in the North?

Zip Code

They are just useless beyond words, yet they will be voted in again and again.  Norn Ireland politics is a depressing cesspit.

Hereiam

They don't want to be seen doing the brits dirty work. They should have known that the establishment were going to make fools out of them at every opportunity.

NAG1

This is the price of government when they don't control the budget.

T Fearon

I disagree with this stance.We all know people who are living the life of luxury with little or nothing wrong and don't work.While I would never support removing benefits for those in genuine need the system is widely abused and in need of serious reform.The work option should always be a significantly attractive option.

screenexile

They were made fools of yesterday in the Dail for their stance on austerity they really need to start living in the real world!!!

NAG1

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
I disagree with this stance.We all know people who are living the life of luxury with little or nothing wrong and don't work.While I would never support removing benefits for those in genuine need the system is widely abused and in need of serious reform.The work option should always be a significantly attractive option.

That is the problem it is not.

Why would someone work in a grafting type job, when they then have to pay child care, pay their rent and have no benefits coming in and be worse off than if they did nothing.

While yes most would like to work, there are those who just want to work the system and have the rest of us pay for it.

If you need it yes the welfare systems should be there to help you get on your feet and back to work and if you cant then to help you as you go.

It should not be there to give people a better life on benefits than those who are actually out working their ass off just to get by.

armaghniac

They don't have to implement the cuts, provided they can find the revenue to pay for it. Now they've no tax raising powers but they could introduce water charges. Oddly, they are not willing to propose these charges and explain to the citizenry that this is justified.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

There is no doubt there are people who are on all the benefits of the day who still have more money than me at the end of the month. Who is the stupid one I ask you.

NAG1

Quote from: Hereiam on September 24, 2014, 10:41:33 AM
There is no doubt there are people who are on all the benefits of the day who still have more money than me at the end of the month. Who is the stupid one I ask you.

Exactly

naka

Quote from: Hereiam on September 24, 2014, 10:41:33 AM
couldn't believe it last night when people were complaining of the 26k a year cap on benefits( that's some cap) and beyond most people in general jobs.i think sinn fein have to get real as I know a fair few in my own gaa club who have no interest in working cos they are better off on the dole.