The should-we-or-shouldn't-we have a border poll thread

Started by Eamonnca1, September 20, 2014, 11:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Should we? Can't say I see the point of one. We'd be doing well if we got more than 30% yes in the north. The place is nowhere near ready for reunification. The north is still too divided, institutions are still unstable because the unionists keep threatening to throw the rattle out of the pram over stupid issues, and democracy hasn't put down deep enough roots yet.

The south is still sorting out a clusterf**k of a financial mess because of the bank bailout, its political system is corrupted by big-shots and parish pump special interests, and the rule of law isn't exactly strong.

It's going to take a while to sort all that out, and I'm not seeing much signs of progress on a lot of it, particularly divisions in the north.

BennyCake

No need for one. Sure we'll all be Europeans soon enough.

screenexile

Nah there is too much apathy around 'Nationalists' to reunite Ireland. They're too happy with the NHS/Free Education and the economy as it is to leave the Union.

Mostly due to lack of leadership from both Nationalist parties I must say. I think we are much further behind Scotland in terms of will to leave the Union.

Allied to that there isn't a hope in hell the Free State would let us join!

ONeill

You'd need a poll before we get that far - do you want to break from the Union. If there's a yes, then there'd be 10 years of a NI independent state before you could even think about a border poll.

A one-off border poll now would alienate a third of the population who don't want Britain nor Ireland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zip Code

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 20, 2014, 11:51:11 PM
Should we? Can't say I see the point of one. We'd be doing well if we got more than 30% yes in the north. The place is nowhere near ready for reunification. The north is still too divided, institutions are still unstable because the unionists keep threatening to throw the rattle out of the pram over stupid issues, and democracy hasn't put down deep enough roots yet.

The south is still sorting out a clusterf**k of a financial mess because of the bank bailout, its political system is corrupted by big-shots and parish pump special interests, and the rule of law isn't exactly strong.

It's going to take a while to sort all that out, and I'm not seeing much signs of progress on a lot of it, particularly divisions in the north.

And Sinn Féin is such an amazing party!!!!  ::)

T Fearon

The really relevant question here is why the British Government let the whole of Scotland decide by means of a vote,whether or not they wish to maintain the union,but has never allowed the whole of Ireland the same basic democratic right,and worse than that,no politician North or South has pointed out this anomaly.

charlieTully

Nail on head Mr Fearon. Any poll should include the 32 counties.

T Fearon

Interestingly the Welsh are joining the Scots in asserting their national interests , unlike the Dublin Govt who lump the Northern part of this island under "Foreign Affairs" and bleat on about how relationships between the "Republic" and UK have never been better. >:(

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2014, 09:32:32 AM
The really relevant question here is why the British Government let the whole of Scotland decide by means of a vote,whether or not they wish to maintain the union,but has never allowed the whole of Ireland the same basic democratic right,

The difference in attitude from 1914 to 2014 perhaps.
We've decided to accept the Good Friday Agreement which lets the 6 Cos decide firstly  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

According to Private Eye 80% of NHS spending goes to the treatment of chronic disease for the over 80s.
Gordon Brown promised free treatment at point of need forever under the UK but it all depends on how unwell the next generation of old people is. It is the same issue as funding pensions.

The NHS will more than likely be bankrupted by obesity within 30 years.
Obesity is a political issue.

Wildweasel74

A poll be interesting to see how far off the pace the search for unity is, personally at the minute its not a good idea, we could get as little as 30% for, which would kill any future poll off for maybe another 20yrs. Best to let it lie to the economic things both sides of the border pick up. But the same scare mongering that went on in Scotland, reduced pension, higher living costs, no nhs would go badly against any proposed yes vote.

T Fearon

A poll showing the population of the six counties is as divided as the people of Scotland (which we all know they are) would force significant change with the pressure all on unionism to modernise and act on behalf of everyone not just their own tribe

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2014, 07:20:43 PM
A poll showing the population of the six counties is as divided as the people of Scotland (which we all know they are) would force significant change with the pressure all on unionism to modernise and act on behalf of everyone not just their own tribe
Unionism is a total mess at the moment. They lose so many talented young graduates and are left with the rest. Is there even 1 decent unionist politician ?