Author Topic: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification  (Read 66743 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2021, 10:57:45 AM »
These are amateurs just like the players, players make more mistakes during a match than the referee.

The judgement calls are analysed as if they did this as their job,  the introduction of the Mark rules forward and defence marks, black cards, sin bins, now we have penalty calls outside the box.

Iím not talking about Championship football at Croke, Iím talking about some country pitch during a dive 4 league game, this is the reality, not the great lined out pitches with refs micíd up to linesmen and fourth officials and umpires.

Rugby and soccer referees don't do it for a living either. The Premiership is unique in having full time referees

And they still get it wrong even with VAR on board!

Well I'll look forward to the non discussion of the rules applied by the ref during the season, his interpretation of the rules will be fine, as its an easy call.

The referee's I've spoke to have said this will be a cluster f**k, no one of them have said brilliant this will make the game easier to manage. Like I said earlier, take this to a pitch with no lines, certainly a semi circle missing, and sidelines shouting for penalties..

County grounds during championship will have 8 officials helping out, 99% of the other matches played, won't.

Who plays on pitches without lines. Referees at all levels in football/rugby down to bottom of the barrel sunday league level are trusted to get make these decisions. They're playing on bang average pitches as well and they also have to deal with players/sidelines shouting for penalties, red cards as well.

The reason the rules are being brought in is to try to take cynical fouling out of the game and improve the game, not as a test for referees

I'm not saying the rules for cynical fouling is wrong, they have rules in place for it, for the past few seasons, its called a black card, sin bin.

This rule  is saying that the penalty area is now extended to the sidelines  of the 21 into the corner flag and in the D of the pitch, should the referee feel that that its a goal scoring opportunity, my problem is. and I'll have to administrate this in in every game, was that a goal scoring opportunity? I'm happy and in my knowledge I'll know, but I can see this turning into a farce.  Just my opinion

And yes, I've refereed hundreds of games at all levels and there are pitches that I go to every year around the county and indeed other counties and markings on the pitch are abysmal.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
These are amateurs just like the players, players make more mistakes during a match than the referee.

The judgement calls are analysed as if they did this as their job,  the introduction of the Mark rules forward and defence marks, black cards, sin bins, now we have penalty calls outside the box.

Iím not talking about Championship football at Croke, Iím talking about some country pitch during a dive 4 league game, this is the reality, not the great lined out pitches with refs micíd up to linesmen and fourth officials and umpires.

Rugby and soccer referees don't do it for a living either. The Premiership is unique in having full time referees

And they still get it wrong even with VAR on board!

Well I'll look forward to the non discussion of the rules applied by the ref during the season, his interpretation of the rules will be fine, as its an easy call.

The referee's I've spoke to have said this will be a cluster f**k, no one of them have said brilliant this will make the game easier to manage. Like I said earlier, take this to a pitch with no lines, certainly a semi circle missing, and sidelines shouting for penalties..

County grounds during championship will have 8 officials helping out, 99% of the other matches played, won't.

Who plays on pitches without lines. Referees at all levels in football/rugby down to bottom of the barrel sunday league level are trusted to get make these decisions. They're playing on bang average pitches as well and they also have to deal with players/sidelines shouting for penalties, red cards as well.

The reason the rules are being brought in is to try to take cynical fouling out of the game and improve the game, not as a test for referees

I'm not saying the rules for cynical fouling is wrong, they have rules in place for it, for the past few seasons, its called a black card, sin bin.

This rule  is saying that the penalty area is now extended to the sidelines  of the 21 into the corner flag and in the D of the pitch, should the referee feel that that its a goal scoring opportunity, my problem is. and I'll have to administrate this in in every game, was that a goal scoring opportunity? I'm happy and in my knowledge I'll know, but I can see this turning into a farce.  Just my opinion

And yes, I've refereed hundreds of games at all levels and there are pitches that I go to every year around the county and indeed other counties and markings on the pitch are abysmal.

Making the referees job impossible, refs are now asked to implement the same standard/ rules in club games that are being done in top inter county games, the suits need to realise that GAA is played outside the big stadiums. Also on the pitches without lines etc, nothing compares to Mitchellís old pitch up at poleglass, never mind lines ya were lucky to see posts!

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 01, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
Aye, listen I did a Ulster league game in County Down last year, just before we lockdown, there wasn't a line on the pitch. this was a div 1 game!

These are getting less in fairness, but it does happen and 99% of our games are played by clubs, not interecounty
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 01, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
There's a problem with the definition of cynical foul in general, it's totally arbitrary

Like, a trip is classed as cynical but a pull back isn't

Philly McMahon did a pull back on Cillian O'Connor after about 60 minutes of the 2017 All-Ireland which was as cynical as they come - the ref allowed the advantage, O'Connor did end up getting a point from play, but had he not been pulled back he probably would have stuck the ball in the net

Fouls high up the pitch are deeply cynical, they prevent the opposition from moving the ball quickly from one end of the pitch to the other

Manchester City are experts at this in association football, Dublin did it in 2013 and 2017 against Mayo, Tyrone were expert at it, Kerry too

This new rule about a penalty for a "cynical" foul is in because of that trip by Eoghan McLaughlin on Sean Kelly at the end of the Connacht final

But what exactly is a goalscoring opportunity, what is it in football, what is it in hurling?

In the Kelly/McLaughlin one, there was a covering defender, if you didn't need a goal you'd probably fist a point, at two points down three minutes into injury time you'd go for goal - if you can get a shot in, and Kelly might not have done

If Kevin McManamon had been hacked down 40 yards out against Kerry in 2013, would that not have been a goalscoring opportunity?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:14:27 PM by sid waddell »

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #589 on: March 01, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »
Aye, listen I did a Ulster league game in County Down last year, just before we lockdown, there wasn't a line on the pitch. this was a div 1 game!

Lazy "Nordies" need to up their pitch preparations rather than not introducing a rule because some clubs don't mark their pitches.
Division 2 Champions and Connacht Champions (Minor)

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:08 PM »
So if heís dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?

2 on 1 - 2 attackers and 1 defender, he pulls the first forward down and stops the play, is this a penalty? Is it a clear goal scoring chance?

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 01, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
So if heís dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?

2 on 1 - 2 attackers and 1 defender, he pulls the first forward down and stops the play, is this a penalty? Is it a clear goal scoring chance?

That's very vague and impossible to answer. Is it at the corner flag, 45m line or edge of the penalty area?

If its at the corner flag then probably no, but if its on the edge of the penalty area then yes

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 01, 2021, 01:58:36 PM »

That's very vague and impossible to answer. Is it at the corner flag, 45m line or edge of the penalty area?

If its at the corner flag then probably no, but if its on the edge of the penalty area then yes

I've seen many a goal opportunity when the attacker beats a man along the end line (mainly hurling) and is in on goal, should the defender bring him down at the end line by the corner flag or by the side line at the 21, will I give a penalty?

I'll probably not and call it as I see it, but there will be cries of "he was clean in on goal ya muppet"

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 01, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
As Sid said earlier, cynical foul can happen without it being a black card offense.

So your man is past the last defender just last the 21m out and defender manages to pull him back.

Under rules now

- Itís a free and a tick to player who done it.

Imagine this at a club game. The supports will be calling for the defender to be lynched but under the rules the referee could give just give a free in.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 01, 2021, 05:02:35 PM »

I've seen many a goal opportunity when the attacker beats a man along the end line (mainly hurling) and is in on goal, should the defender bring him down at the end line by the corner flag or by the side line at the 21, will I give a penalty?

I'll probably not and call it as I see it, but there will be cries of "he was clean in on goal ya muppet"

Depends on a few factors. The speed of the player, is there any defenders who can get back to tackle him before he reaches the goal. Distance to the goal etc. You can't just simply say in theory that is/isn't a penalty until you see it happen live 

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 01, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »

Iíd expect referees to get training which will cover what types of situations will be a penalty. Itís a positive rule change, like all changes there wil be mistakes and talking points but it should cut some cynicism out.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 01, 2021, 05:32:12 PM »

Iíd expect referees to get training which will cover what types of situations will be a penalty. Itís a positive rule change, like all changes there wil be mistakes and talking points but it should cut some cynicism out.

Would have to be a zoom training session with smaller groups, but not impossible. Listen Iím just gurning now as Iíll be getting it in my ear all summer