Author Topic: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification  (Read 37578 times)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
If a player receives a red card and a one match ban for the next championship game, but in that next game the opposition concede, does the players ban roll on to the next game?
Yes it rolls over! You canít escape the rules. Another example would be a player sent off in last eligible U 21 game ( over age the next year ) would have ban carried over to next senior game eligible to play in .

Iím not sure if you are banned from another grade the following year. So if a player in his last game at under 21 is sent off for a one match ban, Iím sure he can play the following year in first round of senior championship. But this is a CCC decision so it may be different to each county?

The rules are the same in every county. If you get sent off (match ban) but cannot serve the ban (if, for example you are overage next year and it's your team's last game in a competition) then the CCC should impose a two week ban for each match you should have served and can't serve.

Should or do? I believe you should miss the next round of the competition that you're intitled to play in, so in effect he could play a reserve championship game and that may get him off if the club does not grade him..

There are many loopholes I'm sure and there are as many theories people believe to be true..

Match bans are in the same competition. Always. If it is not possible to serve a match ban in the same competition (even if it's the following year) then a two week suspension should/must be imposed for each match ban that can't be served, e.g. if it's 2 matches, it's 4 weeks. It's clearly stated in the rulebook.

Like many things with rules there are theories and commonly held views that are not true.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
There are 48 GAA clubs in Tyrone that field at least one mens senior football team.

There are 16 teams in both Divisions 1 & 2, and 17 teams in Division 3 with the inclusion of Errigal Ciaran Thirds. As it is a single round robin league, then teams in Divisions 1 & 2 play 15 games, while in Division 3 it is 16.

During the course of the normal league system, there are a number of "starred" rounds whereby should the Tyrone senior football team still be in competitive action, starred club games are fixed where county players are not expected to line out for their club in that round of fixtures. Not 100% sure how many starred rounds there are in Tyrone in 2019, I think it's six, leaving nine rounds where county players are free to play for their clubs. Not an issue in Division 3 this year with no one on the county panel being from a junior ranked club.

As much as possible, the Tyrone CCC will make starred rounds as such so that teams facing each other will both have players on the county panel and that they have an equal penalisation in such players not being available to them. However should a player leave the county panel after all the rounds have been announced, they are not prevented from playing in those starred rounds.

In my vastly overpaid opinion, I think it's an utter hodge podge of a system, but there seems to be little will within the county for any significant change to the present structures for senior & reserve football in Tyrone.

In the past there used to be some subsidiary & preseason competitions - these have not been run now for some years due to poor reception and interest by many clubs.

It's a little complicated but I can understand the reluctance to change it. The CCC in Tyrone have a tough job! I think leagues in some counties where they're not linked to championship have really had their value diluted. However I understand breaking that link due to unavailability of county players hampering some clubs. There's a fair balance there in Tyrone. Interesting. Thanks for the explanations from yourself and the others who contributed.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2019, 03:30:23 PM »
Jases it's no wonder Tyronies have chips on their shoulders with that complicated League/Championship hodge podge ;D
In Ros the Leagues are totally separate and have no bearing on Championship status.
5 Divisions in the AFLs with D4 and D 5 being mainly B teams.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
If a player receives a red card and a one match ban for the next championship game, but in that next game the opposition concede, does the players ban roll on to the next game?
Yes it rolls over! You canít escape the rules. Another example would be a player sent off in last eligible U 21 game ( over age the next year ) would have ban carried over to next senior game eligible to play in .

Iím not sure if you are banned from another grade the following year. So if a player in his last game at under 21 is sent off for a one match ban, Iím sure he can play the following year in first round of senior championship. But this is a CCC decision so it may be different to each county?

The rules are the same in every county. If you get sent off (match ban) but cannot serve the ban (if, for example you are overage next year and it's your team's last game in a competition) then the CCC should impose a two week ban for each match you should have served and can't serve.

That is my take on it as well.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
Jases it's no wonder Tyronies have chips on their shoulders with that complicated League/Championship hodge podge ;D
It's not that complicated. I just enjoy giving explanations that are (mostly) clear and explanatory to those whom are smart or intelligent enough in wanting to really understand something, yet look complicated to buck eejits.  ;D ;D ;D
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »
It's a little complicated but I can understand the reluctance to change it. The CCC in Tyrone have a tough job! I think leagues in some counties where they're not linked to championship have really had their value diluted. However I understand breaking that link due to unavailability of county players hampering some clubs. There's a fair balance there in Tyrone. Interesting. Thanks for the explanations from yourself and the others who contributed.

NP Seanie. The main criticisms I'd point towards are that as a system, it does not allow a team to at least face every team in their division at the fullest strength available at least once. It's for this reason that promotion & relegation play-offs happen, but it is still a penalty on clubs whom are fortunate enough to have several county players yet have a relatively small playing base.

Secondly, reserve football is struggling with the amount of games being forfeited - since their fixtures are tied to the corresponding senior game (usually league games held on a Sunday have the reserve game at 2.15 and the senior game at 3.45) then the reserve league fixture schedules rely on the progress of the county team, which to someone outside would appear illogical. Since many reserve players often don't know what fixtures are down for what dates, especially after May or early June, and that there's no promotion/relegation or play-offs, many just get frustrated, especially those with families or just a SO whom want to do something together on a Sunday afternoon, yet that Sunday he might not know if there is going to be a game next weekend, what day & time it is and whom it's against. It might involve an 80+ mile round trip.

Finally, the prestige of the league itself has been slowly diminishing over the years itself it Tyrone. These days it is generally a vehicle (at least among the bigger clubs) to ensure that "senior" or "intermediate" status is preserved, with winning the league being a bonus. A few years ago when Errigal Ciaran were Tyrone SFC champions and competing in the Ulster Club championship, they were scheduled to play in a Division 1 league semi-final a week after their first round Ulster win and a week before the subsequent semi-final. Errigal were not happy about this, but the Tyrone CCC wanted to wrap up the league and the other teams involved had already been sitting on their hands for several weeks and didn't budge on the fixtures, so Errigal simply told the board that they wouldn't field for the league semi-final. That doesn't help the standing the league title should have. In turn, this means the vast amount of focus is on the championship, which is Tyrone is still a straight knockout competition. The merits of straight knockout vs. backdoor vs. group stages are best left to another time. The diminishing standing of the league titles only follows on from cup competitions of yesteryear. Back in the 90's each division had a cup competition, split into four groups of four teams, with all group games pencilled down to be played before the league started, so you had two or three games before you began the league. The top team in each section qualified for the semi-finals, where it and the final would be played before the league started or during gaps in the early league rounds - now if you won your cup competition it wasn't a major celebration, but it was still enough for many clubs to at least have a celebration drink up at a local pub after winning the final. Nowadays, I doubt many would care. I reckon the increasing use of outside managers and coaches is a factor - the Ulster club leagues also used to be a factor but these have plummeted in popularity in the last few years.
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
It's not that complicated. I just enjoy giving explanations that are (mostly) clear and explanatory to those whom are smart or intelligent enough in wanting to really understand something, yet look complicated to buck eejits.  ;D ;D ;D
I Suppose it all depends on what your used to, I always switched off when other counties started explained their system thinking it was over complicated and stupid.

Anyway I like Kerry's divisional system as it would give the best players a chance at playing against each other. There are clubs of various sizes and hence abilities in Tyrone and its obviously not fair that a decent player from a wee place like Fintona will never have a chance of playing senior championship unlike his neighbours in over crowded Tattyreagh.

Nanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 12, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
I Suppose it all depends on what your used to, I always switched off when other counties started explained their system thinking it was over complicated and stupid.

Anyway I like Kerry's divisional system as it would give the best players a chance at playing against each other. There are clubs of various sizes and hence abilities in Tyrone and its obviously not fair that a decent player from a wee place like Fintona will never have a chance of playing senior championship unlike his neighbours in over crowded Tattyreagh.
They could always transfer to Dromore!

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1183087525679845376?s=20

The steps rule really needs sorting out.

Or just applied by referees . . .

It should just be four seconds regardless. Tall players four steps will take you further than someone of my height! Itís not fair  ;)
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »
Not much talk here about the new football Rules proposed for the Special Congress coming up on Saturday!!

Kick outs from the 20. The sideways kick out will come back into vogue again I fear.
"Offensive" mark. Expect some very vague measurements of 20m by Referees.
Sin Bin for black cards. Probably lead to more use of the black.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Titanic and deckchairs come to mind.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Titanic and deckchairs come to mind.

There's more to GAA than the Senior Football Intercounty competitions.

Link

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
Does anyone know the rules about postponing a game due to injury? Is it up to the referee?

In the last week we've had 2 underage championship games in Derry with 2 lads stretchered off.

U16 semi final, 6 mins left, 1 point in it. Game called off. Post game the word is Jaw injury - not confirmed.
Minor final, 27 mins left, 3 points in it. Game continued after a 15 minute break. Post game the word is back/spine injury.

No updates on the condition of either player but I'd hope they make a full recovery obviously.

The cancellation of one and continuation of the other confuses me given the circumstances.