Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

imtommygunn

Tony can you point us to an example of where you have engaged in reasonable debate on this thread?

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 02:49:20 PM
Once again insults replace reasonable debate.End the vendetta against this 75 year old now.He made mistakes,has apologised,what more do you want at this stage.

You can only debate reasonably with if you're debating with reasonable people.. Unfortunately you don't fit into his category Im afraid.

Its all been said here before many times but again , Brady didnt even have the moral decency to apologise properly ... He said he wished to apologise to those who felt he had let them down ... thus still believing himself that he didnt .....

Also, why should his age have anything to do with this .. So now he's too old to castigate but you also state many times how at 36 he was somehow too young to know what he was doing ...... What age would have been the right time for him then ??

I genuinely wish that this topic was closed as your disgusting views are sickening to the core and I doubt you have the moral decency to ever change your ridiculous opinions ... Please dont ever join the priesthood !!

Franko

I don't understand how this thread has got this far.  Tony's not gonna change his views no matter how many reasoned arguments are put forward.  I think it's time to accept this and leave it at that!

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 02:49:20 PM
Once again insults replace reasonable debate.End the vendetta against this 75 year old now.He made mistakes,has apologised,what more do you want at this stage.

There wouldn't be 10 pages on this thread if it wasn't for you and your ludicrous posts.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: Franko on October 13, 2014, 04:36:44 PM
I don't understand how this thread has got this far.  Tony's not gonna change his views no matter how many reasoned arguments are put forward.  I think it's time to accept this and leave it at that!

Some of the stuff posted here by fearon is genuinely very offensive and is clearly getting people's back up. If victims or families of victims read this it would be very upsetting for them to be honest :(

T Fearon

It would be genuinely offensive to the family of Sean Brady a 75 year old who never abused anyone,but was but a small cog in an archaic system nearly 40 years ago and I now facing a vendetta from people with nothing but hatred for all things Catholic >:(

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
It would be genuinely offensive to the family of Sean Brady a 75 year old who never abused anyone,but was but a small cog in an archaic system nearly 40 years ago and I now facing a vendetta from people with nothing but hatred for all things Catholic >:(

The victims didn't abuse anyone either Tony. But you don't give a toss about them and actually insult their families. In fact you are the only one attacking anyone's family.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I am not attacking anyone,the victims and their families and Sean Brady were all victims of the time,each deserves the utmost sympathy and not vitriol on an a la carte basis,as you indulge in.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
I am not attacking anyone,the victims and their families and Sean Brady were all victims of the time,each deserves the utmost sympathy and not vitriol on an a la carte basis,as you indulge in.

Sean Brady is not a victim in any eyes except yours. He was very much part of a system that kept people like Brendan Smyth from being accountable for their crimes. He silenced children that were sexually abused. Brave man.

I should be grateful to your persisting with this topic as it reminds me how disgusted I am with Brady as a human being, never mind as Primate of Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

You are waging a manic vendetta against the man.Time to end this unhealthy obsession

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 08:45:26 PM
You are waging a manic vendetta against the man.Time to end this unhealthy obsession

The behaviour of the church and individual members in the abuse saga in Ireland and beyond has been horrific. The scale of the abuse and the degree to which others egaged in cover ups, failures to report and out right facilitation means it remains a huge issue for the church unless and until it can prove that the abuse has ended, the victims have been addressed, the guilty (which extends beyond the actual abusers) have been punished and the records have been handed over.

That is the big issue.

That Brady was involved in morally reprehensible actions amd inactions and went on to be top dog is a magnet for scrutiny. That is all there is to the interest in this story. The fact that as the story has been regurgitated here some incredible and at time morally repugnant attempts have been made at defending Brady has brought an added interest to the discussion. All that stuff that you posted about the ovation Brady got at the Athletic grounds is pure fantasy. Surely you must have known at at least one other patron from that match would recollect the truth and gainsay your fabrications.

Brady was wrong at the time and his inaction afterwards cannot be excused. Those actions are morally repugnant and I suppose the fact that the church claims a higher standard opens it to ridicule.

T Fearon

Brady was wrong at the time,solely due to archaic procedures which constrained him and others.Do you honestly think that Popes John Paul and Benecict who appointed Brady Archbishop and Cardinal respectively had even heard of Brendan Smyth much less Brady 's minor involvement in the saga?

Time for perspective,the man made mistakes 40 years ago,time to get over it

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
Brady was wrong at the time,solely due to archaic procedures which constrained him and others.Do you honestly think that Popes John Paul and Benecict who appointed Brady Archbishop and Cardinal respectively had even heard of Brendan Smyth much less Brady 's minor involvement in the saga?

Time for perspective,the man made mistakes 40 years ago,time to get over it

If the Pole and the German knew about this and it didn't influence their judgement then I would question their judgement. If they didn't know about it then they have no relevance to this discussion and we can leave their judgement/morals to be assessed at another time.

Brady's actions at the time were simply wrong and fell below any standard of deceny.

That he did nothing to rectify/address the issue subsequently was by any sensible standard abhorrent. It was certainly criminal if it is ajudged to have happened in NI. The big legal question is can Brady be guilty of the "knowing but failing to act" crime when he originally found out the information in RoI. Lets be clear if he had of originally received the information in the north his own statements would be an admission of a crime. As it is its a grey area and one that is being assessed. His legality hinges on a technicality. But his morality on the issue is cut and dried.

T Fearon

Here we go again.He was unaware of a crime,instead he heard allegations made by young boys , unsubstantiated) and reported these to his superiors,who failed to act appropriately,though given that police were moving suspected bomb clerics over the border,it is a moot point to suggest reporting to the police would have made any difference.

Conscience clear,morals undiluted.

PS your reference to the Pole and German shows adequately your contempt for the Catholic faith which is undoubtedly behind the campaign of vitriol against Sean Brady

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 10:07:32 PM
Here we go again.He was unaware of a crime,instead he heard allegations made by young boys , unsubstantiated) and reported these to his superiors,who failed to act appropriately
If it wasn't so serious that would be a frankly hilarious rendition of events

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 10:07:32 PMthough given that police were moving suspected bomb clerics over the border,it is a moot point to suggest reporting to the police would have made any difference.
At best infantile thinking or possibly some hare-brained attempt at diverting the discussion form any form of logic. Poor, poor effort. Tell me, where were you educated?

Are you really suggested an educated man thought "er the police are a bit dodgy I'll do nothing about these abuse allegations". Surely Brady had the merest of intelligence required to discount that sort of hand washing?

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 10:07:32 PMConscience clear,morals undiluted.
Afraid not dear boy, afraid not
Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 10:07:32 PMPS your reference to the Pole and German shows adequately your contempt for the Catholic faith which is undoubtedly behind the campaign of vitriol against Sean Brady
Get over yourself. A great advert for humanity's capacity for faith and what faith in turn does to their humanity