Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 14, 2014, 03:43:09 PM
No.I am always amazed how money can wash away or "settle" every grievance.

On another point you seem to spend every waking hour researching facts or more correctly unsubstantiated allegations re clerical child abuse.Why? What's the fascination?

The use of money is unsatisfactory, but at the moment there isn't a better way to inflict the appropriate punishment on an abusive organisation. The article above estimates €50m paid out on cases involving Brady alone.

Wow! He must be the worst notary in the distinguished history of note-taking.

As for the second derogatory question. How is 'researching facts' 'more correctly unsubstantiated allegations'?

Anyway, I read books and am very interesting in Ireland and in particular Irish history. This scandal is the biggest Irish story since partition imho. Some people spout off the first 'unsubstantiated' thing that comes into their heads, others prefer to do some homework first and substantiate their arguments.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Er I would have thought the violence from the late 60s to the early 90s was the biggest story since partition.

Hardy

Muppet - you only have facts that you've gone to the bother of researching. As you've just been clearly told, facts not only don't count against dogma and zeal but to pursue and ascertain them is eccentric foolishness.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on September 14, 2014, 04:13:09 PM
Muppet - you only have facts that you've gone to the bother of researching. As you've just been clearly told, facts not only don't count against dogma and zeal but to pursue and ascertain them is eccentric foolishness.

Evidently it is also anti-Catholic.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Apologies Muppet. That post was in two parts. The first line aimed at you. The rest at those who use the argument to pile on the personal abuse. Not you. I was being economical with the oul environment and all by not posting twice.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 14, 2014, 03:04:38 PM
I would believe the Protestant Telegraph before the anti Catholic Sindo.But thanks for confirming what I suspected all along.This is largely about the Compo.

Ah, FFS,Tone, here was me, trying to get you and your hero off the hook and this is my thanks!
Cripes! I'd be better off getting my handball and go looking for a haystack. ;D ;D
Just when I thought we were reaching common ground of some sort, you take off again n several directions at once!
I told you that at the time of that interview, I thought Brady was only a small fish in a very big pond. There were others, superior to him, that were covering far more up for a great many more abusers.
Maybe you will answer a few quickies for me.
Now the proverbial chickens are coming home to roost in a big, big way.
Why knock the Sindo?
Are you suggesting that it's printing lies?
If the editor hadn't double-checked his facts, he'd never post anything that would land him in a big, big trouble, wouldn't he?
Do you think the Church would pay out 50 cent, never mind €50 million if it could get away without doing so?
Why does the Church settle so many cases out of court?
Would you settle a case in this way if you didn't know you were guilty a shell?

These are the easy ones, I'll have a dozen more for you when you answer the ones above. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Apologies Muppet. That post was in two parts. The first line aimed at you. The rest at those who use the argument to pile on the personal abuse. Not you. I was being economical with the oul environment and all by not posting twice.

Fair enough. I knew there was something I wasn't getting.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Lar I have never ever attempted even to deny child abuse by clerics.My sole argument was merely the defence of Sean Brady against sustained demonisation and the attempts to lay practically the entire blame upon his shoulders.

Most organisations (I've even benefitted from this myself thought not as a victim of anything remotely approaching child abuse) tend to settle out of court to avoid bad publicity.Surely you wouldn't fault anyone for doing this.

The Church badly mishandled child abuse in the past,is dealing with it (in terms of compensation) and what's more,is fully admitting its culpability,unlike a lot of other organisations who while settling out of court qualify this action with the  statement "Our decision to do this in no way reflects any acceptance of wrongdoing on our part".

Meanwhile the day is surely not far away before all citizens get bombarded with letters emails from legal firms , in a manner resembling the PPI fiasco, asking "Are you catholic? Were you abused by clergy without your consent? We can help" That's how farcical it has become.

Senior clerics like Sean Brady and the two living Popes deserve sympathy and assistance with sorting this mess out ( which was not of their making) instead of ridicule and insult.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 14, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
Lar I have never ever attempted even to deny child abuse by clerics.My sole argument was merely the defence of Sean Brady against sustained demonisation and the attempts to lay practically the entire blame upon his shoulders.

Most organisations (I've even benefitted from this myself thought not as a victim of anything remotely approaching child abuse) tend to settle out of court to avoid bad publicity.Surely you wouldn't fault anyone for doing this.

The Church badly mishandled child abuse in the past,is dealing with it (in terms of compensation) and what's more,is fully admitting its culpability,unlike a lot of other organisations who while settling out of court qualify this action with the  statement "Our decision to do this in no way reflects any acceptance of wrongdoing on our part".

Meanwhile the day is surely not far away before all citizens get bombarded with letters emails from legal firms , in a manner resembling the PPI fiasco, asking "Are you catholic? Were you abused by clergy without your consent? We can help" That's how farcical it has become.

Senior clerics like Sean Brady and the two living Popes deserve sympathy and assistance with sorting this mess out ( which was not of their making) instead of ridicule and insult.

Do you seriously believe that Benedict and Sean Brady deserve sympathy, while you crassly lob blame at the victims themselves and their parents?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Yes,after all they weren't involved but are charged with sorting it out.I attach no blame to the child victims themselves.

HiMucker

Quote from: T Fearon on September 14, 2014, 07:35:40 PM
Yes,after all they weren't involved but are charged with sorting it out.I attach no blame to the child victims themselves.
Thats mighty decent of you

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on August 24, 2014, 11:53:08 AM
The children were wrong not to tell their parents, the parents were wrong to not bring their children up in an ethos of not sharing their concerns or peculiar experiences, the whole ethos of the catholic church in terms of dealing with child abuse was wrong.Sean Brady was a victim of circumstances which inevitably led him to make mistakes for whivh he has apologised.

muppet

They most certainly were involved.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Not involved in the crime commission.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 14, 2014, 09:15:20 PM
Not involved in the crime commission.

They were not involved in the abuse.

However they were certainly involved in covering it up.
MWWSI 2017