Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

haveaharp

Quote from: AhNowRef on September 12, 2014, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 06:25:16 PM
I apologise for my absence, I was celebrating my wedding anniversary in a magnificent Co Leitrim castle,while thanking God for his providence.

I was struck reading the glowing tributes paid to Sean Brady in the Irish News yesterday by all the main Protestant Church leaders (all of whom have worked with him politically and pastorally over the years and know the measure of the man),and it struck me that there is today no one more vitriolic in Irleand than lapsed Catholics.

It is once again comforting to know that this is the majority view of Sean Brady's long pastoral mission and the views of warped individuals on this thread represent an insignificant but nonetheless sad minority who cannot see beyond blind and irrational hatred.

Sorry for poking my nose in here folks as I don't post very often but I just cant read anymore of this sickeningly pious, nauseating and repulsive garbage coming from the above poster without saying something!

T Fearon, some may think its commendable of you to stick up for a man who I presume you feel you know ... The fact that S Brady, by his actions of considering his future career within the Catholic church as of more importance than that of protecting the lives of innocent children, should have done better in a moralistic way at least (i.e. without even being a holy man) doesn't seem to set off alarm bells in you is one thing,
however, whats absolutely disgraceful is when you blatantly blame the victims and their parents ... This is a reprehensible act from you and you really should be totally ashamed of yourself for this .. I only hope that you're not getting your ideas from current members of the Catholic church.

Personally I believe Brady behaved exceptionally badly during the "interrogations" and later when he blocked information leaving the church about these and similar issues and also when he stubbornly refused to retire, unbelievably espousing the point again that he'd "done his duty"!

Basically he placed his career above all else including the lives of many many children ... and their parents' lives and their entire family units.
The fact that you can somehow feel its ok to in "any" way blame the actual victims and parents is one the most disgusting things I think Ive ever read on the internet.

And before you slate me as another "Anti-Catholic" which you seem to do to everyone else because it fits your agenda, I'd like to confirm Im very much a Catholic but like many many people, I am now a lot more wary of the institution itself.    You seem to refuse to accept the fact that a large percentage of Catholics are thoroughly sick to death of hearing how "our" religion is being trashed and tarnished by a combination of pedophiles, career hungry priests, pedophile apologists and people who are out to protect the church at all costs ... The problem with the latter type of people is that they end up doing much more harm than good.

I will give you the example of my own Mother .. Shes in her late 80s and very religious all her life ,.,.. A good woman as well !! ... She and her ilk have found the last few years very hard to take and she is disgusted in what has been brought to the fore .. but she is also disgusted by the fact that Brady hadn't the "obvious" decency to retire .... She also has the good sense to know that Brady has done more harm to the church she loves by "NOT" retiring (even after all his inaction) than many, including you, seem to realise.
Church attendances have went down directly due to his actions ... I personally know many people who say his "I done my duty" comment as the last straw ... Im not sure how his belated departure will affect thier status!

So the man you're blindly and in most normal peoples view "wrongly" saying did no harm has actually created a double whammy ... He's contributed to the detrimental harming of many many children & their families lives AND he has had a drastic affect on attendances at his own Church in Ireland.

At the end of the day its up to you in whether you want to continue thinking Brady did the right thing and deserves no blame .. However, the fact that you have repeatedly blamed Victims & Parents makes you the antithesis of what I believe the true meaning of a Catholic/Christian to really be!

You really are a very sick puppy ... May God help you !!

Sums it up perfectly

muppet

MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

I think we can lock this thread as well now

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2014, 01:52:10 PM
Lar, I have said Sean Brady should have stepped down, for his own good. (How his stepping down would have helped the abused I don't know) The fundamental question is this. Do you believe (as I do) that Sean Brady is a fundamentally good and decent man who made mistakes or do you believe he is the Devil incarnate (as most other contributor to this thread seem to believe)?
I wouldn't say either Tony.
I say he should have stepped down for the good of the church when his part in that infamous interview was discovered.
My local curate finds the going even tougher than it used to be because of Brady's refusal to accept responsibility for his actions back then and his failure to report it to the authorities when Brendan Smyth first came to their notice.
It's fair to say that his criticism isn't directed specifically at Sean Brady but all all who help cover up the activities of paedophiles in their midst.
I have yet to meet a priest who agrees with the stance Sean Brady took and I do know quite a few.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AhNowRef on September 12, 2014, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 06:25:16 PM
I apologise for my absence, I was celebrating my wedding anniversary in a magnificent Co Leitrim castle,while thanking God for his providence.

I was struck reading the glowing tributes paid to Sean Brady in the Irish News yesterday by all the main Protestant Church leaders (all of whom have worked with him politically and pastorally over the years and know the measure of the man),and it struck me that there is today no one more vitriolic in Irleand than lapsed Catholics.

It is once again comforting to know that this is the majority view of Sean Brady's long pastoral mission and the views of warped individuals on this thread represent an insignificant but nonetheless sad minority who cannot see beyond blind and irrational hatred.

Sorry for poking my nose in here folks as I don't post very often but I just cant read anymore of this sickeningly pious, nauseating and repulsive garbage coming from the above poster without saying something!

T Fearon, some may think its commendable of you to stick up for a man who I presume you feel you know ... The fact that S Brady, by his actions of considering his future career within the Catholic church as of more importance than that of protecting the lives of innocent children, should have done better in a moralistic way at least (i.e. without even being a holy man) doesn't seem to set off alarm bells in you is one thing,
however, whats absolutely disgraceful is when you blatantly blame the victims and their parents ... This is a reprehensible act from you and you really should be totally ashamed of yourself for this .. I only hope that you're not getting your ideas from current members of the Catholic church.

Personally I believe Brady behaved exceptionally badly during the "interrogations" and later when he blocked information leaving the church about these and similar issues and also when he stubbornly refused to retire, unbelievably espousing the point again that he'd "done his duty"!

Basically he placed his career above all else including the lives of many many children ... and their parents' lives and their entire family units.
The fact that you can somehow feel its ok to in "any" way blame the actual victims and parents is one the most disgusting things I think Ive ever read on the internet.

And before you slate me as another "Anti-Catholic" which you seem to do to everyone else because it fits your agenda, I'd like to confirm Im very much a Catholic but like many many people, I am now a lot more wary of the institution itself.    You seem to refuse to accept the fact that a large percentage of Catholics are thoroughly sick to death of hearing how "our" religion is being trashed and tarnished by a combination of pedophiles, career hungry priests, pedophile apologists and people who are out to protect the church at all costs ... The problem with the latter type of people is that they end up doing much more harm than good.

I will give you the example of my own Mother .. Shes in her late 80s and very religious all her life ,.,.. A good woman as well !! ... She and her ilk have found the last few years very hard to take and she is disgusted in what has been brought to the fore .. but she is also disgusted by the fact that Brady hadn't the "obvious" decency to retire .... She also has the good sense to know that Brady has done more harm to the church she loves by "NOT" retiring (even after all his inaction) than many, including you, seem to realise.
Church attendances have went down directly due to his actions ... I personally know many people who say his "I done my duty" comment as the last straw ... Im not sure how his belated departure will affect thier status!

So the man you're blindly and in most normal peoples view "wrongly" saying did no harm has actually created a double whammy ... He's contributed to the detrimental harming of many many children & their families lives AND he has had a drastic affect on attendances at his own Church in Ireland.

At the end of the day its up to you in whether you want to continue thinking Brady did the right thing and deserves no blame .. However, the fact that you have repeatedly blamed Victims & Parents makes you the antithesis of what I believe the true meaning of a Catholic/Christian to really be!

You really are a very sick puppy ... May God help you !!
+10
That is an amazingly insightful post!
I sure hope you will post more often in the future.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 12, 2014, 01:23:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2014, 11:36:12 AM
What is the society average for paedophile percentages?
Hard to say Tony. It depends on the source you takes your figures from.
According to a study carried out by Scotland Yard,
"A QUARTER of a million Britons - more than one in every 200 adults - are paedophiles."
However, I've come across other surveys and the results vary a lot.
I found this in a Wikipedia article.
"According to some studies, about 1% of all adult males may be pedophiles. Another study estimated the percentage of pedophiles to be between twelve and twenty percent."
Some studies in the USA indicated that the Catholic Church does not have/had any more active pedophiles than other institutions.
What inflates the damage the church did  was the prolificacy of the  abusers facilitated by the cover ups, the active cover up policy handed down from the vatican and the moral position the church claimed in society.
I see Brady has apologised and asked for forgiveness,  but he does not state for what.
Previously he admitted the church  got it badly wrong and asked for forgiveness for the church while claiming his role was very minor a pen pusher of sorts. Does he now admit that he was an integral active cog of the cover up? I doubt it.

T Fearon

Ah NowRef,I was waiting for the anticipated response from the "proverbial stalker who never posts". What kept you? Jump off the bandwagon for a while and read my posts and you will see that far from blindly exonerating Brady, I point out he made mistakes and that the issue of child abuse was woefully mishandled by the Church.

My objection all along has been the absolute demonisation of a man that I,and the vast majority of others know to be fundamentally decent.

I'm sorry if you think responsible parents should not have been far more inquisitive as to find out why their children were summoned to meetings then wilfully agreeing to exclusion from these meetings.I do not see this as responsible parenting.

If Sean Brady has caused people to abandon the church then their faith is fragile already.True believers would never self disenfranchise and effectively consign themselves to eternal damnation.

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2014, 06:38:26 PM

If Sean Brady has caused people to abandon the church then their faith is fragile already.True believers would never self disenfranchise and effectively consign themselves to eternal damnation.

Not a million miles from the ISIS position ;D

muppet

Ah NowRef,I was waiting for the anticipated response from the "proverbial stalker who never posts". What kept you? Jump off the bandwagon for a while and read my posts and you will see that far from blindly exonerating Brady, I point out he made mistakes and that the issue of child abuse was woefully mishandled by the Church.

My objection all along has been the absolute demonisation of a man that I,and the vast majority of others know to be fundamentally decent.

I'm sorry if you think responsible parents should not have been far more inquisitive as to find out why their children were summoned to meetings then wilfully agreeing to exclusion from these meetings.I do not see this as responsible parenting.

You are blaming the uninformed people outside the room for not doing more.

Then you blindly defend the people who were in the room, for doing nothing,

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

If those outside had been inside they might have helped those inside to come to a better decision.Hence my belief that there was a catalogue of failure,clerical,parental.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2014, 07:49:30 PM
If those outside had been inside they might have helped those inside to come to a better decision.Hence my belief that there was a catalogue of failure,clerical,parental.

They weren't allowed in by Brady, were they Tony? And do you understand that the children were silenced with excommunication probably being the stick? That was an abuse of the poor children in itself.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Tony on the point of fragile faith your description of faith was more or less that it was a case of hedging your bets because you don't know what happens when you die.To me that is fragile faith.

P.s. I come from a devout family, am not deeply religious myself, but respect their non fragile faith.

easytiger95

QuoteIf Sean Brady has caused people to abandon the church then their faith is fragile already.True believers would never self disenfranchise and effectively consign themselves to eternal damnation.

To quote Ron Burgundy, you are truly bizarre Tony. You seem to have more in common with the late Dr. Brimstone than you would care to admit.

playwiththewind1st

Nah, having being through 7 years in a Christian Brothers' primary school & 7 years in St. Malachy's College, Belfast [with a headmaster who was promoted to Bishop of Down & Connor & which had 2 so-called "priests" in the role of Deans of Discipline i.e. beating the crap outta young boys on a daily basis, so that the Bishop didn't have to dirty his hands doing it himself, is enough to make you take a punt on "eternal damnation".

T Fearon

Muppet,the parents shouldnt have allowed the meeting to proceed without them.Watch how this child abuse dies down by the way after compo payments.Amazing how lives destroyed are quickly normalised by moolah.