The Ryder Cup 2014 - Gleneagles

Started by laoislad, September 02, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

I wasn't aware that McGinley and Darren Clarke had a strained relationship??  What did they fall out about...flegs??

Sidney

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 30, 2014, 05:00:35 AM
Great article from the Indo about the genius of Paul McGinley.

VICTORIOUS Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley has revealed how he left nothing to chance - going as far as colour-appropriate fish.

"Everything in the room was planned," McGinley said yesterday, "from the carpet to the wallpapers to the images on the wall, to a big fish tank with [European] blue and gold fish. It was the colours I was interested in rather than the breed. It was just a little, small touch.

"We had two rooms, a dining area and a lounge area. There was a big picture in the corner of John Jacobs, the first European captain, a big picture of the first Britain and Ireland team in 1927 and big pictures of Seve Ballesteros and Jose Maria Olazabal.

"We had a lot of different images around the team room. It was my idea for the fish tank and it worked great."

The Dublin man admitted the level of detail in the room had caused quite a stir. And while the fish had joined in on the celebrations they have recovered admirably.

"The fish are still there, swimming away, very happy, but they might have a few hangovers. A bit of wine may have been spilled into them.

"There have been a number of requests for images from the room and maybe we'll do a little portfolio and exhibit it," he said.

Is McGinley actually leading a double life as Dublin's Feng Shui expert Dr. Diarmuid Couch?

AZOffaly

He reminded me of someone like Jimmy McGuinness when he was speaking, and I bet his background in the GAA helped him in that sort of preparation. The way he was talking and all the minutiae sounded exactly like the sort of approach that has come into the GAA in the last 15 years or so.

Sidney

He reminded me much more of Alan Partridge than Jim McGuinness.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 30, 2014, 09:25:30 AM
He reminded me of someone like Jimmy McGuinness when he was speaking, and I bet his background in the GAA helped him in that sort of preparation. The way he was talking and all the minutiae sounded exactly like the sort of approach that has come into the GAA in the last 15 years or so.

No harm AZ but I suspect that the GAA are hardly leading the way when it comes to sports psychology or for attention to detail.

Mikhailov

Quote from: AQMP on September 30, 2014, 08:54:30 AM
I wasn't aware that McGinley and Darren Clarke had a strained relationship??  What did they fall out about...flegs??

Reportedly they were formerly best mates on tour and even roomed together in their early days on tour. They ended up living on same private golf estate with their families in Sunningdale outside London and children and partners were all best mates and this continued up until recently. I think even PMcG and wife were invited to Heather Clarkes funeral which was a strictly private affair so that goes to show how close the 2 lads and their respective families were.

However, I think I am fairly sure that DC originally declared public support for the PMcG captaincy bid but back tracked when Watson was appointed USA captain and then stated that Europe needed a big profile major winner or personality to take on Watson ie: himself or Monty. This obviously did not go down well with PMcG but I think DC realised that this playing days were no more and that this may be his only chance to get the job and pushed his name forward but after a few months he withdrew from the process allowing McGinley to get the role. Now it appears that the European tour are possibly reluctant to give it to 2 Irishmen in a row and this could all back fire on DC in the next few months.

Recently Thomas Bjorn has said he wants to continue playing, Padraig has said likewise and didn't realise the job the captaincy entailed so it looks like a straight shootout between DC and Jimenez and it could be close. Jimenez grasp of the English language is reportedly not the best and will possibly go against him in the USA whilst DC is a massively popular figure in the USA but the fly in the ointment is that the 3 previous captains will have a major say in who gets it therefore PMcG could sway it if he wishes but I think and believe he is much too professional to let personal emotion get involved in such a big decision like that. PMcG appears a very likeable bloke and he has a legacy now so cant see how he would let personal issues affect this decision but I maybe wrong.

I hope that this is an accurate explanation to the above query by AQMP but if not then can someone else explain please their version of the events as I may not be totally correct.

Sidney appears to be our Mr Ryder Cup so hopefully he can add his opinion on this affair

mick999

It was because Darren was backing Monty for Ryder cup Captain instead of Paul ..
It is covered in interview with Kimmage here :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/paul-kimmage-interview-ryder-cup-captain-paul-mcginley-forged-in-gaa-furnace-30584751.html

AZOffaly

Ah yeah, I don't mean the GAA are cutting edge in that, but it has developed a lot in the past 20 years. Remember Armagh's 'symbols' and all the other things you hear about these days. I just thought when he spoke he sounded like countless GAA managers over recent years, and not like a Golf 'captain'. I don't remember any previous Ryder Cup captains talking about stuff like that. I know he's big into the GAA and I just thought it sounded familiar.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mick999 on September 30, 2014, 09:41:34 AM

It was because Darren was backing Monty for Ryder cup Captain instead of Paul ..
It is covered in interview with Kimmage here :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/paul-kimmage-interview-ryder-cup-captain-paul-mcginley-forged-in-gaa-furnace-30584751.html

Yes, that's it. Apparently Clarke was initially behind McGinley's bid, and then changed horses to Monty. I saw a mention of that on Sky Sports News a while ago.

AZOffaly

AHA!!!!!!

"Paul McGinley: Well, I don't know, I can't speak for other captains. I don't know what work they've put in, that's just a view. To be honest, it's not something I'm doing because I'm besotted about it, it's something I'm doing that I really enjoy. You know me, I love sport; I'm going to the hurling final on Sunday; I love listening to what people have to say about Kilkenny and Tipp; I love listening to what they've been saying about Dublin (and Donegal). I spoke to Jim Gavin during the week.

PK: Did you really?

PMcG: I wanted to hear where he was at, four days after the event: 'How do you feel, Jim? Was there something you didn't get right?' I was on the phone to him for maybe half an hour trying to pick up something that might help me. I didn't call (Jim) McGuinness.

PK: You didn't?

PMcG: No, he's winning. He's doing it right. You learn more from your losses. I met Jim (Gavin) during the summer and we had a great conversation. I thought, 'This guy is really on it.' You talk about me being prepared but I can assure you that Jim Gavin and his team were as prepared as any team ever for last Sunday. What were they going in? 1/7 favourites?
- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/paul-kimmage-interview-ryder-cup-captain-paul-mcginley-forged-in-gaa-furnace-30584751.html#sthash.O2qQaQFu.dpuf"

Bingo, you do me a disservice sir :)

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on September 29, 2014, 10:39:50 AM
It's a free country... if he wants to wear that flag around his neck that's his choice.

Many Protestants who have suffered from the IRA view the tricolour with the same level of hatred yet we don't slag anyone who drapes it around their shoulders.

f**k flags I couldn't care less about them and it makes no odds to me who wears what flag around their shoulders should they choose to. He's a great ambassador for North and South and a hell of a Golfer. If he continues in this vein he will go on to be our most successful sportsperson ever and best of luck to him with that!
My point exactly, there shouldn't be a tricolour either.

Franko

Quote from: Sidney on September 30, 2014, 09:31:50 AM
He reminded me much more of Alan Partridge than Jim McGuinness.

The grapes must be sour!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

nrico2006

Unreal how every time McIlroy wins something (or is involved in a winning team), that everyone here hop on about the flag he holds.  Is he not allowed to be both Cathoic and from Northern Ireland?

As for the praise on McGinley, I think it is definitely over the top.  Winning the Ryder Cup with the pick he had was hardly the greatest achievement of all time. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Captain in golf seems to be the most bizarrely celebrated and blamed role in sport. I see him as a facilitator, let the players play, and make sure things are in place for them around the actual golf itself. The locker room, the meeting rooms etc. After that, it's like Under 12 C. Make sure everyone gets a game at some stage, and try not to take off your best players. I'd say a lot of people would make a good stab at it.

Franko

The response of the Ryder Cup players to McGinley's performance would indicate that they believe his role was pretty crucial.  And let's face it... they'd probably know...