Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

I saw no one on the losing QF teams deserving of an All-Star. If McKeever wasn't injured and continued his previous form in the Meath and Donegal games he would have had a shout but you'd be severely pushing logic to say any of them deserved All-Stars over who was picked, besides young Star of course.

LCohen

Quote from: Syferus on October 24, 2014, 02:38:28 AM
I saw no one on the losing QF teams deserving of an All-Star. If McKeever wasn't injured and continued his previous form in the Meath and Donegal games he would have had a shout but you'd be severely pushing logic to say any of them deserved All-Stars over who was picked, besides young Star of course.
Andy Mallon and Stefan Campbell were more deserving candidates than McKeever from Armagh. Campbell wasn't nominated and Mallon can feel a little aggrieved. Dessie Mone unlucky to be edged out by McCarthy

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2014, 11:31:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 23, 2014, 05:57:59 PM
Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on October 23, 2014, 01:33:41 PM
I am not a big fan of this 'award' as too often it flies in the face of reality.  Players picked to get them an award rather than picked in the position they played.

Surprising to see only 5 for Kerry and 3 each for beaten semi-finalists.  Fairly sure if Dublin won the AI, they would have 7-9 All Stars.  Poor selection to 3 Dubs honoured; these guys destroyed inferior division two/three teams and then when the crunch came they were nowhere to be seen against Donegal.  PF and DC were excellent for the first 20 minutes of that game, but when the team needed them to deliver scores in the second half they failed.  Connelly definitely deserved one he was excellent even in that second half. Flynn was not there when it mattered; he got a 'handy' one I feel.  Unbelievably James Mccarthy gets an all-star despite their whole half-back line getting destroyed against Donegal.  This is the award I have most issues with; I can't see any way he deserved one.

For me Aidan O'Mahony is the big looser, he is nine years older than Michael Murphy and completely nullified him in the biggest game of the year.  He was fantastic all year for us and definitely deserved one ahead of McCarthy. Frank McGlynn & Thompson deserved one ahead of McCarthy as well.  A special mention for Donncha Walsh, another consistently good year for him, in my view well deserving of an all-star but alas he doesn't have the media profile of other candidates; hopefully a county final; medal on Sunday will make-up for his omission.

Bullshit AOM had six players in front of him helping him mark no-one. At least Mc carthy takes respnsibility for marking his bloody man!

AOM was replaced against Mayo. I was surprised Mc Carthy got one but it should have been Mc Glynn to get one not AOM.

Next you'll be telling me Donncha Walsh is a better player then Flynn and Connolly. There is no wing forward in Ireland that could lace their boots. flynn is up there with the Doohers and Spillane's as one of the finest wing forwards ever to play the game.

Walsh is a good player but  This idea that he's turned into Paul Galvin overnight is Kerry created and nobody else. I think for his level of natural ability he's carved out a very good career for himself and good luck to him.

But he wouldn't get into Dublin's half forward line never mind being selected ahead of of either of our wing forwards. Five was  a fair number when you consider Kerry's soft route to the final. Bar Mayo you beat no-one to get there.

You've built up a huge number of all-irelands beating shit teams on route to an AI semi final every godamn year.

Dublin have won 9/10 Leinsters... are you seriously using that argument against Kerry??

I know, its gas isn't it.  Its as bad as something the likes of "bart" might say over on reservoirdubs.com  ;) Completely Delusional.

Syferus

Quote from: LCohen on October 24, 2014, 10:16:15 AM
Andy Mallon and Stefan Campbell were more deserving candidates than McKeever from Armagh. Campbell wasn't nominated and Mallon can feel a little aggrieved. Dessie Mone unlucky to be edged out by McCarthy

Don't know where this love-in for Mallon has came from in Ulster (an old war-horse giving it a big push?) but his best moments were when we (Roscommon) literally forget he even existed and allowed him to score the easiest point an IC footballer has been gifted in many's a year and then Donegal doing a good impression of the same trick two weeks later. He was decent but if you think he deserved an All-Star above Higgins or Paul Murphy I don't know what to say.

No way Campbell was more deserving than those picked. McKeever was always Armagh's only real shout for an All-Star and his injury put those hopes in the grave.

Mone? C'mon now, stop this Ulster bias stuff - O'Mahony was more deserving than Mone was this year, he was the one that has a right to feel aggrieved. Star and McCarthy were the only question marks on this year's team and the players you mentioned weren't the ones that were left out in the cold because of those picks.

Esmarelda

I'm surprised that with all the Armagh names being mentioned that Dyas isn't top of that list.

None of them deserving of an All-Star in my opinion.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 24, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 24, 2014, 10:16:15 AM

Don't know where this love-in for Mallon has came from in Ulster (an old war-horse giving it a big push?) but his best moments were when we (Roscommon) literally forget he even existed and allowed him to score the easiest point an IC footballer has been gifted in many's a year and then Donegal doing a good impression of the same trick two weeks later. He was decent but if you think he deserved an All-Star above Higgins or Paul Murphy I don't know what to say.

No way Campbell was more deserving than those picked. McKeever was always Armagh's only real shout for an All-Star and his injury put those hopes in the grave.

Mone? C'mon now, stop this Ulster bias stuff - O'Mahony was more deserving than Mone was this year, he was the one that has a right to feel aggrieved. Star and McCarthy were the only question marks on this year's team and the players you mentioned weren't the ones that were left out in the cold because of those picks.

Syf

Ros's last Allstar was Grehan in 2001
When should we expect the next wan ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

I Don't know where this love-in for Mallon has came from in Ulster (an old war-horse giving it a big push?) but his best moments were when we (Roscommon) literally forget he even existed and allowed him to score the easiest point an IC footballer has been gifted in many's a year and then Donegal doing a good impression of the same trick two weeks later.
Old war horse? He would be around the same age as Keith Higgins. His best moments was holding good forwards to low scores that's what defenders normally stand out for..

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 24, 2014, 05:31:43 PM
I Don't know where this love-in for Mallon has came from in Ulster (an old war-horse giving it a big push?) but his best moments were when we (Roscommon) literally forget he even existed and allowed him to score the easiest point an IC footballer has been gifted in many's a year and then Donegal doing a good impression of the same trick two weeks later.
Old war horse? He would be around the same age as Keith Higgins. His best moments was holding good forwards to low scores that's what defenders normally stand out for..

2005 v 2003 for their debuts, but the real difference would be the small fact Higgins actually deserves an All-Star.

muppet

Higgins is the only Connacht player to win both football & hurling Railway Cup medals.
MWWSI 2017

mrdeeds

Tipperary got more than Kilkenny and Munster champions none. Three teams represented. All stars are done as a format.

SouthDublinBro

I safely predict it will be a long time before Ulster gets this many All Stars again.

Ethan Tremblay

Flawed process in my opinion the all stars, I feel Ulster and Lenster teams come up against tougher opposition in the provincial run, whereas Mayo and Kerry have 1 major tussle to overcome the Ulster and Leinster championships are a tough campaign in themselves, and less credit is due to the teams that work their way to the latter stages of the championship coming from each Provence.

This year Armagh came up against Monaghan twice in two tough battles, only to have to face Tyrone in the qualifiers, Roscommon, Meath and eventually Donegal, another close encounter. During there run I would argue that several players warented  the praise heaped on them, imho Andy Mallon, who was consistently great and was unlucky to miss out!

On the other side of the coin, armagh only managed to get to the quarter finals, with seven other teams and failed to progress to the business end! Can players from one of the top eight teams get an all star, in armaghs case they had harder matches and the awkward route to get there, but when it came crunch time the players didn't produce!

If you take the second point that a team in the quarter finals just would be hard placed to get an all star, then there can be no arguments as to donaghys inclusion, who undobtly had his best games on the biggest days!

The 2015 draw is a good example of the campian a team can go through before they get out of their own province, whereas Mayo play the winners of NY, Galway or Leitrim to make a final and get a qf spot, Tyrone would have to play Donegal, Armagh, down/ Derry to make a final!

Who says the quarter finals of a championship are nothing to rave about!

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Syferus

Lol @ Leinster being a tough campaign. Keep pumping up Ulster though, it makes everyone else's job that much easier when Ulster teams come out of their province thinking running around with the ball up their jumpers for 70 minutes equals a brutally tough championship.

DuffleKing

Can anyone justify journalists involvement in the selection process to me?

Saffrongael

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 24, 2014, 08:40:36 PM

Can anyone justify journalists involvement in the selection process to me?

No, especially as I am sure they have their own favourites, players that never refuse an interview etc
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come