Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 09, 2014, 09:53:02 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on October 09, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 09, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
P Murphy, E McGee, K Higgins
P Crowley, F McGlynn, C Boyle
D Moran, N Gallagher
D Connolly, M Murphy, P Flynn
J O'Donoghue, K Donaghy, C O'Connor

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

Unlucky to miss out: A Mallon, R McHugh, A O'Shea, R Beggan

I'd have N McGee there.
One player unlucky to lose out again is Donnacha Walsh. Has done immense work, carrying the ball and winning dirty ball. One of Kerry's star and key players, but because its not glamorous work, he'll get overlooked. Had a decent chance til Murphy was moved to the half forwards. Donnacha Walsh far more deserving of an All Star than Diarmuid Connolly imo.

With P Murphy selected in the FB line, who do you think would lose out for N McGee? And I agree with what you are saying about Walsh, however the way the nominations were made (with Connolly nominated for POTY and Murphy nominated in the HF line) I can't see Walsh getting one, though stranger things have happened.
N McGee has been better than his brother and is the best full back in the country in my opinion.

shawshank

If Neil Magee isn't on the All Star team at Number 3 the complete thing is a farce, an absolute stand out for Donegal this year from start to finish in the championship.

Schkite

I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

You're contradicting yourself there, I presume you're mixing up the two McGees? Neil is much better than Eamon imo and is a cert for an all-star. Eamon is a good defender, but not at the same level as his brother and not all-star material this year for me.

I'd also have Dessie Mone in the HB line, I might be biased but he's been superb all year.

INDIANA

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.
One player unlucky to lose out again is Donnacha Walsh. Has done immense work, carrying the ball and winning dirty ball. One of Kerry's star and key players, but because its not glamorous work, he'll get overlooked. Had a decent chance til Murphy was moved to the half forwards. Donnacha Walsh far more deserving of an All Star than Diarmuid Connolly imo.

My arse he is. Connolly has been brilliant all year. Anyone who thinks he isn't an all star shoe in is quite frankly an idiot

Jinxy

My HF line would be Flynn, Connolly and Walsh.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: INDIANA on October 09, 2014, 01:50:16 PM

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.

My arse he is. Connolly has been brilliant all year. Anyone who thinks he isn't an all star shoe in is quite frankly an idiot

quite frankly indeed
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

blanketattack

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.

All year? Even when he only scored 0-1 of 2-25 against Wexford and 0-1 of 2-20 against Meath? If that's what's considered brilliant, you've a low bar. Connolly might have done well in some turkey shoots but where was his "brilliance" when the chips were down in the 2nd half v Donegal? This is what the all-star selectors should prioritize - who did it when they were most needed.

I think he'll get an All Star but I think Flynn, Murphy and Walsh deserve to be ahead of him of the other half forward nominations.

moysider

Christ, the whole thing is a mess.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Schkite on October 09, 2014, 01:35:22 PM

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

You're contradicting yourself there, I presume you're mixing up the two McGees? Neil is much better than Eamon imo and is a cert for an all-star. Eamon is a good defender, but not at the same level as his brother and not all-star material this year for me.

I'd also have Dessie Mone in the HB line, I might be biased but he's been superb all year.

Sorry, you are correct. I had the two arse ways
Hasta la victoria siempre

J70

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.

No way any senior Player of the Year nominee doesn't get an All Star.

Syferus

Donaghy or Murphy (you're/they're moving Murphy out to make room for Star) over McHugh would be a horrendous call. McHugh has dibs on the individual performance of the year v. Dublin. All-Star all day.

Deeler, Mallon isn't unlucky to lose out and AOS was cleanly beat by his man in three of the five meaningful championship matches Mayo played this year.

blanketattack

Quote from: J70 on October 10, 2014, 12:57:51 PM

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.

No way any senior Player of the Year nominee doesn't get an All Star.

Stranger things have happened - the 1994 hurler of the year didn't get an All Star.

AZOffaly

Don't mention the war. That was the day the All Stars stopped being credible for me.

INDIANA

Quote from: blanketattack on October 09, 2014, 05:22:22 PM

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.

All year? Even when he only scored 0-1 of 2-25 against Wexford and 0-1 of 2-20 against Meath? If that's what's considered brilliant, you've a low bar. Connolly might have done well in some turkey shoots but where was his "brilliance" when the chips were down in the 2nd half v Donegal? This is what the all-star selectors should prioritize - who did it when they were most needed.

I think he'll get an All Star but I think Flynn, Murphy and Walsh deserve to be ahead of him of the other half forward nominations.

There is nothing to debate you're just plain wrong. the laughable argument is that Connolly doesn't do the dirty work. I suggest you look at his stats and come back to me. He does all that every game and then he adds his incredible scoring ability on top of that in physically the mosy demanding position on the pitch.

It was a good laugh anyway- I needed that.

sans pessimism

I see on WJs site that mayo got 3- Higgins,Boyle,&Cillian
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"