Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 24, 2014, 08:55:37 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on October 24, 2014, 08:40:36 PM

Can anyone justify journalists involvement in the selection process to me?

No, especially as I am sure they have their own favourites, players that never refuse an interview etc

So who would be qualified to select the All-Stars and who wouldn't have favourites? As far as I can see, journalists are as qualified as anyone and see more games than pretty much everyone so not a bad body of people to have picking it.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Zulu on October 24, 2014, 09:05:33 PM

No, especially as I am sure they have their own favourites, players that never refuse an interview etc

So who would be qualified to select the All-Stars and who wouldn't have favourites? As far as I can see, journalists are as qualified as anyone and see more games than pretty much everyone so not a bad body of people to have picking it.

Zulu is right. The journalists are the only body qualified to make the judgements.

Where this process falls down is that journalists don't always take their jobs are seriously as they ought to. It's genuinely bizarre to see how Americans twist their knickers over the voting process for the football and baseball Halls of Fame, while our lads seem quite content to decide the All-Stars over a feed of chicken wings and chips and several gallons of porter.

Saffrongael

Eddie Brennan agrees with me anyway, from Twitter earlier.

just stating that media engagement certainly carries weight!

Conor fogartys interviews didn't match his performances on the field #joke #AllStars

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Zulu

The whole thing has lost credibility but that isn't just because of the people picking it. Donaghy no more deserves an All Star then me or you if the thing is meant to reflect performances over the course of 2014, however, if it's just championship then an argument can be made. If the All Stars were called the All Ireland series All Stars so only those games could win you one then it would help return some credibility.

It's a pity really as they should be very prestigious awards and something we should care and argue about but it isn't anymore.

rrhf

Average overall team reflects the current sad state of Gaelic Football.  Oh for a return to the noughties. 

yellowcard

A joke how Donaghy got an All Star on the back of 2 decent performances in the last two games. More based on his persona and the whole 'star' myth that has built up around him when in reality he was rubbish until the last month of the season. McCarthy was another strange selection, O'Mahoney, Thompson or McGlynn were more deserving than him.

moysider

Kerry would not have won the AI without Donaghy. Seldom has a player been more influential in a team winning an AI. Does that count?

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

orangeman

These awards are a bit like X Factor. Not to be taken seriously but spark huge debate and controversy.

dublin7

The all stars became irrelevant a long time ago. Moving Michael Murphy to half forward line rather than having to choose between him and Donaghy proves what a joke they have become. To think 2 good games can get you an all star. Donaghy should thank Paul Duncan for his one. If he doesn't kick the ball straight to him he doesn't get the award.

DuffleKing

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 24, 2014, 09:14:43 PM
Quote from: Zulu on October 24, 2014, 09:05:33 PM

Zulu is right. The journalists are the only body qualified to make the judgements.

Where this process falls down is that journalists don't always take their jobs are seriously as they ought to. It's genuinely bizarre to see how Americans twist their knickers over the voting process for the football and baseball Halls of Fame, while our lads seem quite content to decide the All-Stars over a feed of chicken wings and chips and several gallons of porter.

As far as I'm concerned, Gaelic Games journalists consistently demonstrate their complete lack of understanding of the game on a weekly basis. More often than not, they follow the PR that teams feed them and have little to no analytical capacity. Most have not played, coached or been involve in football at any decent level.

All Stars should be picked by a ten man panel as follows:

Each of the 4 Provincial Player groupings should meet and discuss their views and nominate a representative to bring those views forward.
Each of the  Provincial manager groupings should meet to discuss their views and nominate a representative to bring forward those views
Players and managers from provinicial and all ireland champions are excluded as group reps
The GAA nominates a representative
The Journalists meet to discuss their views and nominate their a representative to bring their views forward.

4 players
4 managers
1 Central Council rep
1 journalist rep

Zulu

A good few players, including top ones, haven't a clue either and most of them see less football than anyone. There's no perfect way to pick them and it all comes down to opinions and a bit of horse trading in the end. Would the All Start selections have looked massively different if any other group selected them?

seafoid

The limited range of counties involved this year is a sign of the times. The top 4 are ahead of the rest and it makes for  less interesting championship for neutrals.
When the tournament is more open 6 or 7 counties can be represented in the all Stars.   

rodney trotter

Quote from: yellowcard on October 24, 2014, 11:46:55 PM
A joke how Donaghy got an All Star on the back of 2 decent performances in the last two games. More based on his persona and the whole 'star' myth that has built up around him when in reality he was rubbish until the last month of the season. McCarthy was another strange selection, O'Mahoney, Thompson or McGlynn were more deserving than him.

Donaghy was injured for a good part of the year, missed all the league and good part of the championship, groin and shoulder,, not sure how you could say he was rubbish until the last month of the season.

The drawn Mayo game was his first appareance of the year for Kerry. Made a big impact when needed.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 25, 2014, 08:04:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 24, 2014, 11:46:55 PM

Donaghy was injured for a good part of the year, missed all the league and good part of the championship, groin and shoulder,, not sure how you could say he was rubbish until the last month of the season.

The drawn Mayo game was his first appareance of the year for Kerry. Made a big impact when needed.

In fairness he was very poor since 2011 anyways. One of the most inexplicable comebacks of all time, he'd looked shot for almost three entire seasons before he came back and put a real shift in in the replay.