Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy umpire

Younger defensive prospects who could well become good full backs are Phillip Bonny and Colm Murney
The Boys in Red and Black are back

supersub

The latter would have to dramatically improve his club form first!!

real food, real people

Anyone know much of who is on this ASK Lecale Squad then?

John Martin

Is the ASK lecale Longstone match going ahead this weekend?
It seems a bit unfair on Longstone to be asked to play a championship match without having played any league games with all their county players available recently.

ardtole

Quote from: real food, real people on July 27, 2011, 04:25:21 PM
/quote]
Its an amalgamation of Ardglass, Saul and Kilclief.

DownFanatic

Ardtole/No.1 would be able to inform you but info on this team is very scarce at the moment.

From my knowledge of the teams involved in it, Kilclief will probably make up the bulk of the starting XV. Ciaran Sloan is a very talented midfielder/forward and extremely accurate from set peices while Ricky Kerr will definitely cause the Longstone defence problems as he is likely to start in the forward line. Other talented Kilclief players would be Aidan McCann, Donnan Ritchie and Ryan Kerr who would all be defensive options. Down hurler Fintan Conway would also be a strong option at midfield.

From Ardglass Liam Mullan and Michael Magee would be their main men. Mullan is one of the best players in Division 3 and he will be a threat in the forward line aswell as from 45's and frees. Neil Taggart is probably staking a place in the starting lineup too. He's a tricky forward.

Saul's best prospects would be Adam King and Nathan Keenan. King is an ideal centre half back and Keenan is a good bustling attacker. Three 2011 Down Minors in the form of the Arnold twins and Rory Mullen may also be likely for inclusion.

Overall, a combination of these three teams have plenty of attacking talent but the Stone with Ambrose, Mark Poland, Ryan Kelly and the Dorans in tow will have far too much firepower for any defence that ASK Lecale will muster up.

If I was going for an ASK Lecale lineup Id probably go for something like this:

1. Stephen Stratton (Saul)

2. Deaglan Arnold (Saul)
3. Donnan Ritchie (Kilclief)
4. Rory Mullen (Saul)

5. Aidan McCann (Kilclief)
6. Adam King (Saul)
7. Ryan Kerr (Kilclief)

8. Ciaran Sloan (Kilclief)
9. Fintan Conway (Kilclief)

10. Owen Curran (Kilclief)
11. Liam Mullan (Ardglass)
12. Neil Teggart (Ardglass)

13. Ricky Kerr (Kilclief)
14. Michael Magee (Ardglass)
15. Nathan Keenan (Saul)

DownFanatic

Revised Championship schedule

Senior Championship            
Day        Date   Time                  Venue      Referee

Sat          30/7/11   5 00      ASK Lecale    v   Longstone      Newcastle      G Corrigan

Mon      8/8/11   7 30      Warrenpoint   v   Ballyholland      Burren      O Burke
Sat       6/8/11   7 30      Loughinisland   v   Tullylish      Dundrum      L Smyth
Wed       3/8/11   7 30      Rostrevor   v   Downpatrick      Castlewellan      E O Hare
Sun      7/8/11   3 30      Clonduff    v   Castlewellan      Kilcoo      B Rice
Sun      7/8/11   6 00      Saval   v    Mayobridge      Newry      C Brannigan
Sun      7/8/11   7 30         v   Burren      Newry      G Tumelty
Fri         5/8/11   7 30      An Riocht   v   Bryansford      Mayobridge      C Reynolds
Thurs    4/8/11   7 30      Liatroim   v   Kilcoo      Clonduff      K Trainor

Intermediate Championship            

Sun     7/8/11   3 30      Carryduff   v   Dundrum      Downpatrick      C Mooney
Sun     7/8/11   2 00      Kilclief   v   Shamrocks      Kilcoo      S O Hanlon
Sat      6/8/11   6 00      Drumaness   v   Atticall      Dundrum      A Sharvin
Thurs   4/8/11   7 30      Drumgath   v   Clann na Banna      Saval      N Cousins
Sat      6/8/11   2 00      St Johns   v   Glasdrumman      Drumaness      D Ryan
Tues   9/8/11   8 00      Darragh Cross   v   Annaclone      Newry      D Laverty
Tues   9/8/11   6 30      Glenn   v    St John Bosco      Newry      D Brogan
Sat      6/8/11   3 30      Ballymartin   v   Ardglass      Drumaness      F Laverty

Junior Championship            

Sun       7/8/11   2 00      Dromara   v   Aughlisnafinn      St Johns      D Kearns
Sun       7/8/11   2 00      Saul   v    Balllykinlar      Downpatrick      K Mc Mahon
Fri         5/8/11   7 30      Bright   v   Mitchels      Dromara      D Cotter

dundrumite

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 27, 2011, 09:56:31 PM

Ardtole/No.1 would be able to inform you but info on this team is very scarce at the moment.

From my knowledge of the teams involved in it, Kilclief will probably make up the bulk of the starting XV. Ciaran Sloan is a very talented midfielder/forward and extremely accurate from set peices while Ricky Kerr will definitely cause the Longstone defence problems as he is likely to start in the forward line. Other talented Kilclief players would be Aidan McCann, Donnan Ritchie and Ryan Kerr who would all be defensive options. Down hurler Fintan Conway would also be a strong option at midfield.

From Ardglass Liam Mullan and Michael Magee would be their main men. Mullan is one of the best players in Division 3 and he will be a threat in the forward line aswell as from 45's and frees. Neil Taggart is probably staking a place in the starting lineup too. He's a tricky forward.

Saul's best prospects would be Adam King and Nathan Keenan. King is an ideal centre half back and Keenan is a good bustling attacker. Three 2011 Down Minors in the form of the Arnold twins and Rory Mullen may also be likely for inclusion.

Overall, a combination of these three teams have plenty of attacking talent but the Stone with Ambrose, Mark Poland, Ryan Kelly and the Dorans in tow will have far too much firepower for any defence that ASK Lecale will muster up.

If I was going for an ASK Lecale lineup Id probably go for something like this:

1. Stephen Stratton (Saul)

2. Deaglan Arnold (Saul)
3. Donnan Ritchie (Kilclief)
4. Rory Mullen (Saul)

5. Aidan McCann (Kilclief)
6. Adam King (Saul)
7. Ryan Kerr (Kilclief)

8. Ciaran Sloan (Kilclief)
9. Fintan Conway (Kilclief)

10. Owen Curran (Kilclief)
11. Liam Mullan (Ardglass)
12. Neil Teggart (Ardglass)

13. Ricky Kerr (Kilclief)
14. Michael Magee (Ardglass)
15. Nathan Keenan (Saul)

I would imagine you will see phillip tranyor(if fit), stephen deegan and conor hynds in that line up also .

amallon

Who is managing the ASK team?  Can't be an easy task with three clubs to be kept happy.  How have they approached training?  I'm sure the three clubs will have an eye on preparation for their own championships and will have wanted their players training with them.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

turkey+ham

Think it's Kevin Blaney managing them. Should be interesting to see how this goes. I think it should be more widespread and hopefully the county can gain a few extra players from it.

redandblackareback

Quote from: turkey+ham on July 29, 2011, 11:28:09 AM
Think it's Kevin Blaney managing them. Should be interesting to see how this goes. I think it should be more widespread and hopefully the county can gain a few extra players from it.

Couldnt see the county gaining anything out of this. The best of these guys is probably micky mc gee and it was clear he obviously wasnt good enough for senior level. Its ok at U21 and minor level standing out but stepping up to senior county football is a different ball game. I fully believe and Iv said before the stone will win this by double figures minimum.

whitegoodman

I really hope Im wrong but think this could be a bit of a farce tomorrow night.  Is it fair that boys that have been training together for a month or so are supposed to compete against so called better players who have been together for years.

It smells a bit of an exhibition match to me, a day out in the senior championship for some with the managers of the individual clubs involved just wanting to get the match out of the way so they can concentrate on their own championship.  There will be some craic if 2 or 3 of the main players on the Kilclief or ardglass team get injured during this.

I understand what the county board are trying to do and i commend them for their efforts but i just dont see it working imo.

ardtole

How can you say Mick Magee obviously isn't up to county standard. Tell me what league or championship games you saw him struggle in. He was in the panel for the best part of two seasons and was cut before the championship both years, he travelled with the team in league games in Mayo etc but never featured once. He played in the McKenna cup a few times and nearly always scored and never looked out of place.
If he was from Burren or Clonduff he would have got a lot more game time. Jason Brown was drafted in from nowhere last year in Omagh, you had McArdle this year. What is the point having a panel of players if there is no intention of them ever featuring. Ardglass were struggling badly for players at the start of this season, yet Mick missed some of these games because he was starred. McCartan never had any intention of using him but kept stringing him along causing him to miss club games as well. McAreavey seems to be in the same boat as well.

norabeag

Quote from: ardtole on July 29, 2011, 01:27:48 PM
How can you say Mick Magee obviously isn't up to county standard. Tell me what league or championship games you saw him struggle in. He was in the panel for the best part of two seasons and was cut before the championship both years, he travelled with the team in league games in Mayo etc but never featured once. He played in the McKenna cup a few times and nearly always scored and never looked out of place.
If he was from Burren or Clonduff he would have got a lot more game time. Jason Brown was drafted in from nowhere last year in Omagh, you had McArdle this year. What is the point having a panel of players if there is no intention of them ever featuring. Ardglass were struggling badly for players at the start of this season, yet Mick missed some of these games because he was starred. McCartan never had any intention of using him but kept stringing him along causing him to miss club games as well. McAreavey seems to be in the same boat as well.
Have to agree with you Ardtole. Magee is a class act who has been poorly treated. There is no doubting his ability and quality and definitely well worth his place on the county panel and by that I mean not just making up training numbers.

redandblackareback

Quote from: ardtole on July 29, 2011, 01:27:48 PM

Ardtole I think you v picked me up wrong, I am not individually saying Mick isnt good enough, I m simply looking at the amount of game time he got and therefore concluding that James and co obviously dont think he s up to that level!! You obviously know him better, out of interest could he be moulded into a tough tackling defender??? Curious? He has all the athletic attributes anyway !