Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oglach

I listened to an RTE radio 1 interview with John Clarke just now, He spoke very well and got his point across perfect as to his reasons for quitting Co Down. The Armagh match being one reason and citing criticism from message boards like this one as another. He mentioned how easy it is to criticise someone from behind a computer and he's right. It is indeed an amauter sport and one of the few perks is for your family to read your name in newspaper or a message board like this one but not in the muddy manner he and others have had to endure. Easy on folks.

general

Quote from: John Martin on June 10, 2011, 08:52:16 PM
Result from division 3
Glenn 1-10 Kilclief 0-16

wondeing what happened glenn last night john martin? or minus 15?

supersub

Quote from: Mike Tyson on June 11, 2011, 03:34:55 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 11, 2011, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 10, 2011, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: Leonardo on June 10, 2011, 10:04:51 PM
Great result for Kilcoo - who were the star men MDG?

As a team Kilcoo where superb. All six defenders excelled while James McClean gave a great display of high fielding in midfield ably assisted by Felim McGreevy. In attack Anthony Devlin won his battle with Dan McCartan, Laverty caused mayhem while the half forward line of Paul Devlin, Darragh Ohanlon and Barry Kane worked like trojans and scored 1-10 out of the 2-13 between them.

Sounds like a fluid performance. Maybe we weren't so bad against you after all! However...I think one of your forwards won't be best pleased he is the only one not mentioned in your praise :D

Ps Caolan played the second half for Rostrevor last night for those who were talking about him not having played senior football!

How did he go?

Was moved about a fair bit when he came on, corner forward, wing forward, and ended up deeper than that - did rightly though. Scored a point, linked up well without individually standing out. Certainly didn't look out of place.

John Martin

Quote from: general on June 11, 2011, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: John Martin on June 10, 2011, 08:52:16 PM
Result from division 3
Glenn 1-10 Kilclief 0-16

wondeing what happened glenn last night john martin? or minus 15?

They got beat by the better team on the night.

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: Oglach on June 11, 2011, 04:56:03 PM
I listened to an RTE radio 1 interview with John Clarke just now, He spoke very well and got his point across perfect as to his reasons for quitting Co Down. The Armagh match being one reason and citing criticism from message boards like this one as another. He mentioned how easy it is to criticise someone from behind a computer and he's right. It is indeed an amauter sport and one of the few perks is for your family to read your name in newspaper or a message board like this one but not in the muddy manner he and others have had to endure. Easy on folks.

Or grow a set of swingers John!!  He quit intercounty football because of what a few boyo's in here said...If thats his reason, then see ya later!  I cant recall too many blaming John Clarke for the counties failings, this year or in any previous years.  Perhaps he hasn't transferred his sizzling club form to the county set-up as well as most would have liked, but he was far from awful any time I've seen him!

redandblackareback

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on June 12, 2011, 07:58:07 PM

Or grow a set of swingers John!!  He quit intercounty football because of what a few boyo's in here said...If thats his reason, then see ya later!  I cant recall too many blaming John Clarke for the counties failings, this year or in any previous years.  Perhaps he hasn't transferred his sizzling club form to the county set-up as well as most would have liked, but he was far from awful any time I've seen him!

mmmmmmmmmmm im sure you have played a lot too !!!  ::)

Away to Clare, should be an easy win.. Get us back on track!!

Mourne Rover

The draw is clearly a very favourable one for Down, although we need to remember that, until last year, our away performances in the qualifiers were regularly dire. Under our present management, despite their bad night at the Athletic Grounds, it is difficult to see anything less than a disciplined and focused visit to Ennis.

Clare's form in the NFL division one was pretty poor this season, with their only wins coming against London, Kilkenny and Longford. They managed to lose to Fermanagh by about eight points, which was hardly a good sign, and Cork beat them 15 points in the Munster championship. Clare have had some decent football sides in the past, and I seem to recall Down losing a league game away to them in the early 1990s, but things should be different this time round.

knockitdown

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 12, 2011, 09:54:49 PM
The draw is clearly a very favourable one for Down, although we need to remember that, until last year, our away performances in the qualifiers were regularly dire. Under our present management, despite their bad night at the Athletic Grounds, it is difficult to see anything less than a disciplined and focused visit to Ennis.

Clare's form in the NFL division one was pretty poor this season, with their only wins coming against London, Kilkenny and Longford. They managed to lose to Fermanagh by about eight points, which was hardly a good sign, and Cork beat them 15 points in the Munster championship. Clare have had some decent football sides in the past, and I seem to recall Down losing a league game away to them in the early 1990s, but things should be different this time round.

Did I miss something this year MR?

Pangurban

Bad draw for Down, we need a tough game against quality opposition to restore confidence and morale, these comparitively easy games pull teams down off championship pace, to early in season, and its difficult to regain momentum. If we win as expected, there is no credit, but if Clare even manage to put it up to us then the doubts and questions arise. Not what we need right now

western exile

Quote from: Pangurban on June 13, 2011, 02:22:31 AM
Bad draw for Down, we need a tough game against quality opposition to restore confidence and morale, these comparitively easy games pull teams down off championship pace, to early in season, and its difficult to regain momentum. If we win as expected, there is no credit, but if Clare even manage to put it up to us then the doubts and questions arise. Not what we need right now
I believe the opposite to be true.  Down had a good run in the qualifiers last year for the first time due to gathering momentum from meeting teams from league divisions 4,3,2,1 in that order.
Every other year we met that "tough game against quality opposition" as you put it, and our season was over. What good did that do?
As the Qualifiers are 4 weeks in a row there will be plenty of opportunities to test themselves. The main objective is to make it to round 2 (where we started last year).
Páirc Esler would have been nice but we can't have everything ;D It is most definitely a good draw.

PAULD123

Not a good draw for a travelling fan. I am not looking forward to the 4 hour each-way journey! And funds are now too low for an overnighter. It's gonna be a long day on Sat 25th.

Have the times of the matches been fixed? Normally they are around 2pm aren't they?

5 Sams

Just heard the Clare game is fixed for Saturday 25th June at 3pm in Ennis. Long oul day ahead of us :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 12, 2011, 09:32:52 PM
Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on June 12, 2011, 07:58:07 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm im sure you have played a lot too !!!  ::)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...played enough over the years yes.....Whats your point?

snoopdog

any report on the friendly with Kildare at the weekend. I hear we were beat by 2 points and that Doyle got the full 70 minutes. Any reports on it lads.