Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 18, 2010, 12:31:23 PM
Yes - they were hard to understand. JC is the ideal target man- mobile,skilful,strong and intelligent.When you add in the telepathic radar from Marty , and the clear joy Benny has playing alongside him, he should be the first man on the team-sheet- not the first( or second) man off.

This is a sad day for Down.Super player, decent lad , great servant.
As MDG has said, this month will be a test for James. It feels like the sombre mood after losing to Tyrone last year.That hangover continued in to the Longford game and indeed the Offaly game- when John Clarke pulled us out of trouble by the boot-strings and prompted my quote above- and was promptly taken off.

Leo

Have to wonder at the timing so soon after another forward (young Mooney) is aclled into the squad when it is clear to all that our problems are elsewhere in the team - same as they were last year.
Best of luck to John - a great asset to  any team and in his early county acreer came in after Blaney at 11 and wasn't disgraced.
Fierce tame altogether

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 08, 2011, 01:33:20 PM
Schools must be finishing up with some of the talk on here. Gabshite season.

On the retirement of John Clarke, he owes nothing to the supporters of Down.
For a lad who has been a county mainstay for the guts of 11 years he has represented not only his county but also his club and family with great aplomb and i for one would applaud and appreciate his efforts down through the years.

There was a time when we were in the doldrums for a few seasons and and John Clarke was the go-to man who was shifted and shunted about the team to fill gaps, whether it was playing at full back, corner back, wing back or anywhere in the forward line he always did the business, his effort and comittment and quality could never be questioned.

From a young age John oozed class and ye could tell he would be an excellent intercounty senior. He was one of those players who had a proper head on his shoulders, had the skills and temperment to play and excel at the highest level. Its sad that John has decided to call it a day for whatever reasons, i guess now his club will fully benefit and he will continue to destroy full-backs at club level. not an obituary by any means, he may be back in the red and black at some stage.

Excellently put. John is a great fella and a very competant footballer and i hope we see him back in the near future in the red and black.

Mourne Rover

John Clarke has been an outstanding player for Down over the last decade, and would have filled at least ten different positions in championship football. When Leo suggests that John came in after Greg Blaney at no 11, he may be thinking of Shane Mulholland. Greg retired in 1997 and John made his debut in 2001 at corner back. He had a couple of seasons at centre half, and I can remember him at full back against Meath in the qualifiers. We could have done worse than make him an extra defender at least temporarily when the Armagh forwards were pulling us apart at the Athletic Grounds last month, rather than hauling him off when he had only received a single pass. He was excellent for most of last season as a target man for Marty and made the space which McComiskey, Benny and others were able to exploit. It is possible that his pace is no longer quite there, but he deserves the highest praise for everything he has done for his county from his minor days up to the present.

redandblackareback

Represented this county with great honour at minor, u21 and senior level. Played in our first all ireland final in 16years and provided us with many enjoyable days out last summer and over the last 10 years. All the best to John and will surely continue to play club football for many a year to come! Hope the wheels dont come off the Down wagon over the next few weeks, do think with a bit of luck and a reasonable draw we will be along with Tyrone the only Ulster representation in the last 8!!

here comes 6

John has been a long servant of Down football and obvisiously for some good reason but hes now hitting the headlines for stupid things he has said to the papers.   John from my point of view over this past 3/4 years has been a real let down in the standard of football hes being playing.   Im sorry to say that he should have made this decision back then rather than now.  He has been poor for the county over this time so i think he has to be a man and take this critism and maybe it would help him be a better player.   The only reason John played all last year was due to the winning roll the team got on and James wanted to keep the team as stable as possible unlss of an injury.   Johns time is up (and has been as long time) and can now relax and just play for his club and maybe try and enjoy the game again

dundrumite

Quote from: here comes 6 on June 09, 2011, 08:57:46 AM
John has been a long servant of Down football and obvisiously for some good reason but hes now hitting the headlines for stupid things he has said to the papers.   John from my point of view over this past 3/4 years has been a real let down in the standard of football hes being playing.   Im sorry to say that he should have made this decision back then rather than now.  He has been poor for the county over this time so i think he has to be a man and take this critism and maybe it would help him be a better player.   The only reason John played all last year was due to the winning roll the team got on and James wanted to keep the team as stable as possible unlss of an injury.   Johns time is up (and has been as long time) and can now relax and just play for his club and maybe try and enjoy the game again

Brick Tamlin's point in a nut shell.

Mid Down Gael

ACFL Division 1

An Riocht 0-12 Ballyholland 2-9

Leo

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 08, 2011, 10:58:51 PM
John Clarke has been an outstanding player for Down over the last decade, and would have filled at least ten different positions in championship football. When Leo suggests that John came in after Greg Blaney at no 11, he may be thinking of Shane Mulholland. Greg retired in 1997 and John made his debut in 2001 at corner back. He had a couple of seasons at centre half, and I can remember him at full back against Meath in the qualifiers. We could have done worse than make him an extra defender at least temporarily when the Armagh forwards were pulling us apart at the Athletic Grounds last month, rather than hauling him off when he had only received a single pass. He was excellent for most of last season as a target man for Marty and made the space which McComiskey, Benny and others were able to exploit. It is possible that his pace is no longer quite there, but he deserves the highest praise for everything he has done for his county from his minor days up to the present.

Point taken MR, and it may have been a bit of wishful thinking on my part. The Mulholland period was brief and, in my opinion, hyped beyond ability, but as much as John may have been the classic "utility player" - I hate that phrase - in his early days he looked to me like a centre half forwarxd who could win bad ball and use it constructively - hence the comparison. In later years he surprised me with his ability as a target player up front and I admire him greatly. Sadly we are still waiting for the new Blaney.
Fierce tame altogether

5 Sams

Quote from: Leo on June 10, 2011, 12:02:33 AM
John Clarke has been an outstanding player for Down over the last decade, and would have filled at least ten different positions in championship football. When Leo suggests that John came in after Greg Blaney at no 11, he may be thinking of Shane Mulholland. Greg retired in 1997 and John made his debut in 2001 at corner back. He had a couple of seasons at centre half, and I can remember him at full back against Meath in the qualifiers. We could have done worse than make him an extra defender at least temporarily when the Armagh forwards were pulling us apart at the Athletic Grounds last month, rather than hauling him off when he had only received a single pass. He was excellent for most of last season as a target man for Marty and made the space which McComiskey, Benny and others were able to exploit. It is possible that his pace is no longer quite there, .or his county from his minor days up to the present.

Point taken MR, and it may have been a bit of wishful thinking on my part. The Mulholland period was brief and, in my opinion, hyped beyond ability, but as much as John may have been the classic "utility player" - I hate that phrase - in his early days he looked to me like a centre half forwarxd who could win bad ball and use it constructively - hence the comparison. In later years he surprised me with his ability as a target player up front and I admire him greatly. Sadly we are still waiting for the new Blaney.

While I might be biased Leo I have to disagree with you on the "hyped beyond ability" comment. Shane was playing on a Down team at the end of the 90s early noughties that was creaking with age and not a lot else coming through.....he was as a good a player as we had in Down at that time. Unfortunatley his colleagues were either great players with miles on the clock or youngsters trying to prove themselves. He didnt get many favours from Wee Pete or PO'R either in fairness. Myself and a mate met Brian McEniff in Bundoran one Sunday morning a few years ago on our way for the cure. We had a great chat with him and when he heard where we came from he sang Mulholland's praises. He had just managed the 2000 Ulster team to win the Railway Cup and Shane was centre half forward on that team. McEniff told us he was as good a centre half forward as he had ever managed......I've a feeling he knows a small bit more than me or you about footballers Leo.
The Aristocrat Years

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2011, 10:42:16 AM
John Clarke has been an outstanding player for Down over the last decade, and would have filled at least ten different positions in championship football. When Leo suggests that John came in after Greg Blaney at no 11, he may be thinking of Shane Mulholland. Greg retired in 1997 and John made his debut in 2001 at corner back. He had a couple of seasons at centre half, and I can remember him at full back against Meath in the qualifiers. We could have done worse than make him an extra defender at least temporarily when the Armagh forwards were pulling us apart at the Athletic Grounds last month, rather than hauling him off when he had only received a single pass. He was excellent for most of last season as a target man for Marty and made the space which McComiskey, Benny and others were able to exploit. It is possible that his pace is no longer quite there, .or his county from his minor days up to the present.

While I might be biased Leo I have to disagree with you on the "hyped beyond ability" comment. Shane was playing on a Down team at the end of the 90s early noughties that was creaking with age and not a lot else coming through.....he was as a good a player as we had in Down at that time. Unfortunatley his colleagues were either great players with miles on the clock or youngsters trying to prove themselves. He didnt get many favours from Wee Pete or PO'R either in fairness. Myself and a mate met Brian McEniff in Bundoran one Sunday morning a few years ago on our way for the cure. We had a great chat with him and when he heard where we came from he sang Mulholland's praises. He had just managed the 2000 Ulster team to win the Railway Cup and Shane was centre half forward on that team. McEniff told us he was as good a centre half forward as he had ever managed......I've a feeling he knows a small bit more than me or you about footballers Leo.
[/b]

+1 5sams.. Mulholland was a class act, some seriously deluded opinions on this board these days  ::)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2011, 10:42:16 AM

I drift in and out of this thread now that I am a Down resident for my sins.  I have to say that anyone who reckons that Mulholland is over rated hasn't a clue about football.  I played with and against Shane for many years and I can categorically put my hand on my heart and say he was the singular best CHF I played with, as a pure CHF.  He had an engine like no one else, he could see things that others couldn't and he could deliver the killer pass that no one would risk.  Coupled with his scoring ability he had it all.  He was shit upon by the county management and also was unfortunate to have been an inbetween player in terms of timing.  I'll tell you how high I rate him.  As an all round player he would put Martin Clarke in the ha'penny place.  I often wonder if people have ever watched the games over the years.

Mid Down Gael

Mulholland was a classy player and one that was a joy to watch. In 1999 against Tyrone in Casement he was superb. He is doing rightly now in management and has the Harps level with near neigbours Burren and the Bridge in the top flight after securing promotion last year just prior to the half way stage in the league which is no mean feat considering they have played most of their games without injured talisman Ronan Murtagh.

5 Sams

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 09, 2011, 09:45:53 PM
ACFL Division 1

An Riocht 0-12 Ballyholland 2-9

A very satisfying result for us last night. We were minus Murtagh and one or two other starters and Murph was playing on one leg for most of the game but we still beat a full strength Kingdom team comfortably enough in the end despite being down by two at half time.

The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Have to agree with broken cross bar on Mulholland . I have know Shane all my life and have played alongside him and against him and have the utmost respect for him . No one could pick out a killer pass like him always thinking 2 steps ahead of everyone else . Even when he was coming to an end of his career and was carring the bit of weight his brain carried him through . You are right MDG the Harps  have won most of their games without Ronan which is a great achievement . Shane has them working well together and it would do Ballyholland the world of good to stay up for another year