Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Your right MDG big month for James really need a good performance and a win in the qualifers to ease all the tensions . Hope we can push on now

ardtole

In fairness Marty Clarke always intimated he would be going back after 2 years, the performance against Armagh was laboured and way under par. I think the main reason for this is our midfield pairing, since Ambrose got hurt McCartan has persevered with King and Fitzpatrick hoping they were going to eventually gel, personally I dont think this has happened. I wish during the league he had of experimented more in this area, particulary with Paul Murphy, I dont get to see much div 1 football but anytime I saw him play for Down in the past he done well.

goldenyears

Ask lecale v longstone; wpoint v ballyholland; l"island v tullylish; rostrevor. V dpatrick; clonduff v c'wellan; saval v m'bridge; ask/lstone v burren; kingdom v b'ford; kilcoo v laitriom

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: goldenyears on June 06, 2011, 08:17:50 PM
Ask lecale v longstone; wpoint v ballyholland; l"island v tullylish; rostrevor. V dpatrick; clonduff v c'wellan; saval v m'bridge; ask/lstone v burren; kingdom v b'ford; kilcoo v laitriom

Had a feeling we would draw Liatriom again. Saval v Bridge is a tasty one as is Clonduff v town. Kingdom and ford is the tie of the round while assuming Longstone get over Lecale them and Burren will be interesting.
Thats hoping they have got it right this time!!

EagleLord

All good ties there I reckon, all sould be close enough games, no landslide wins I wouldnt think, great to see it. Looking at teams and tables theres a 4 or 5 teams that have a realistic asperations to win the championship. As open as its been for a long while.

whitegoodman

Couple of interesting draws with Dawson and Pete going back to their old clubs but the bridge and saval is the one that stands out for me.  Local derby, bridge slightly coming back to the pack, saval producing some good performances this year ( kilcoo noteable performance ).  Should be an interesting game but see bridge pulling away in the last 10 by 3 or 4.  Castlewellen should also give Clonduff a game but Kilcoo will give Liatrom a beating imo

DownFanatic

MORGAN MILK DOWN SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2011                                                               

Roinn 1                                   
ASK Lecale V  Cloch Fhada (Longstone)

Roinn 2
Rinn Mhic Giolla Rua (Warrenpoint)     V Baile Cholmain (Ballyholland)
Loch an Oileain (Loughinisland) V Tulach Lis (Tullylish)
Caislean Ruairi (Rostrevor) V Dun Padraig (Downpatrick)
Cluain Daimh (Clonduff) V Caislean an Mhuillin (Castlewellan)
Sabhaill (Saval) V Droichead Mhaigh Eo (Mayobridge)
ASK Lecale/Cloch Fhada (Longstone) V Boireann (Burren)
An Riocht (An Riocht) V Ath Bhriain (Bryansford)
Liatroim  (Liatroim) V Cill Chua (Kilcoo)

MORGAN MILK DOWN MINOR "A" FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2011                                                         

Group A                                   
Cill Chua (Kilcoo
Dun Padraig (Downpatrick)
Caislean an Mhuillin (Castlewellan)
Ath Bhriain (Bryansford)                       

Group B                                   
Seamrogai an Iuir (Shamrocks)
Boireann (Burren)
Sabhaill (Saval)
Droichead Mhaigh Eo (Mayobridge)                 

Group C                                   
Caislean Ruairi (Rostrevor)
Breadach Bredagh
An Riocht (An Riocht)
Ceathru Aodha Dhuibh (Carryduff)                   

Group D                                   
Cluain Daimh (Clonduff)
Rinn Mhic Giolla Rua (Warrenpoint)     
Naomh Padraig (Saul)
St Mary's (St Mary's)

MORGAN MILK DOWN MINOR "B" FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2011                   

Group A                                   
Baile Cholmain (Ballyholland)
Naomh Eoin (St Johns)
Clann na Banna (Clann na Banna)
Droim an Easa (Drumaness)
Misteiligh an Iuir (Mitchels)       

Group B                                   
Tulach Lis (Tullylish)
Baile Ui Mhairtin (Ballymartin)
Cloch Fhada (Longstone)
Ard Ghlais (Ardglass)
Ait Ti Chthail (Atticall) 

Group C                                   
Loch an Oileain (Loughinisland)
Cill Dharach  (Cill Dharach)
An Ghleann (Glenn)
Cill Breachtain (Cill Breachtain)             

Group D                                   
Naomh Eoin Bosco (St John Bosco)
Naomh Pol (St Pauls)   
Droim Gath (Drumgath)
St Josephs (St Josephs)

Square Ball

what way is the minor championship being played? Top two qualify for the quarter finals?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: NedFlanders on June 06, 2011, 05:14:45 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 06, 2011, 01:40:09 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on June 06, 2011, 01:14:48 PM
Ronan Sexton and Sean Murdock are no longer on the panel, Aidan Carr I cant confirm, maybe somebody else can?

Agree with those that dont agree with the decision, not fair on the lad or those that are already on the panel.  A huge step up, it took benny a bit of time to make an impact and he had played a bit of senior club football before playing for the county i think. ( stand by to be corrected on that )

Mooney is an exceptional talent, is he as good as coulter was at that age? I dont no, does he have the same impact on games that coulter did? I dont no, is he ready for intercounty senior football, no imo.

The other point is that it smacks of short term thinking.  He is going to be there next year so unless they think he can come in and make an impact immediately, what is the point?

John Clarke, Mickey Magee and Kevin Anderson are also no nonger members of the squad im led to believe.

Can hardly balm J Clarke, the way he has been treated is a joke!

What way has he been treated? Surely you are not referring to him being subsitituted against Armagh?

Theres no doubt that John Clarke is a fine footballer and that he has all the skills required for playng with the county but maybe he does not have the mentality for the big games? Too often he goes missing and just doe'nt produce the goods. I was very suprised he started against Armagh given the displays of Murtagh and Lavery in the league game. IMO he is still worth his place in the panel but just not the starting 15 at the minute given the options in the forward line.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

On the Mooney addition, I dont think there should be much of a fuss. Down through the years theres always been the odd exceptional minor who has been involved with the senior squad (ie) Benny and Colm McAlarney to name a couple and they were exceptional. And Mooney we would all agree is exceptional given his performances at under age so far and particularly in big games.

So if one or two fringe players have left the panel whats wrong with calling up the best 18 year old in the county and maybe country as a replacement. He too in my opinion will only be a fringe player - a squad member. If it was any other young minor then I would question it but as Mooney does not play snr football with his club (which is what any good minor should be looking to do) and will be gone next year who cares? Who cares about his development - let Collingwood worry about that.

The real issue here is not about James's decision to call him up but with those who have refused to let him line out for his club seniors for what ever reason. If I was his fellow club man I
would be dissapointed.

I would have thought that the call up and use of Eoin McCartan to be more of an issue to other members of the sqaud as afterall he is a player who is physically limited due to injury.

thewobbler

The new draw has fairly kept the big teams apart.

Quite a few games should be close, but I'd expect Ballyholland, Loughinisland, Rostrevor, Clonduff, Mayobridge, Burren, Bryansford and Kilcoo will all be 4/6 or worse in the betting, and should make up the quarters.

smokeyjoe

Paddy Heaney gives Clarke a hard time in his column today! I wonder would many out there agree with him, worth a read for those interested!

maldini

anyone know the plans for the east down u14 and reserve leagues for the rest of the year? The east down board have started playing 2 matches a week to get the current u14 leagues finished, what happens when the last couple of games are played? and is the reserve league a 2 round league?

supersub

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on June 07, 2011, 01:59:00 PM
On the Mooney addition, I dont think there should be much of a fuss. Down through the years theres always been the odd exceptional minor who has been involved with the senior squad (ie) Benny and Colm McAlarney to name a couple and they were exceptional. And Mooney we would all agree is exceptional given his performances at under age so far and particularly in big games.

So if one or two fringe players have left the panel whats wrong with calling up the best 18 year old in the county and maybe country as a replacement. He too in my opinion will only be a fringe player - a squad member. If it was any other young minor then I would question it but as Mooney does not play snr football with his club (which is what any good minor should be looking to do) and will be gone next year who cares? Who cares about his development - let Collingwood worry about that.

The real issue here is not about James's decision to call him up but with those who have refused to let him line out for his club seniors for what ever reason. If I was his fellow club man I
would be dissapointed.

I would have thought that the call up and use of Eoin McCartan to be more of an issue to other members of the sqaud as afterall he is a player who is physically limited due to injury.

Who would you being talking about?

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: supersub on June 07, 2011, 02:32:43 PM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on June 07, 2011, 01:59:00 PM

would be dissapointed.

Who would you being talking about?

I was maybe a tad harsh with that statement.

I dont actually know who. Maybe himself, school teachers, parents, club officials or whoever, there must be some reason why he has'nt played at senior club level? And I cant say I blame them due to burn out etc. The point is, he is playing senior football now - with the county and maybe his club would love to have him onboard for rest of the summer.