Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Leo

a neutral view.
Shocking first   half, no football a t all.

Great second half of kick passing football from both sides.
Best player on the park by a country mile was the Bridge no. 6, closely followed by Gavin Barry.
Ryan McGovern kepy Burren  in hunt with sprited display.
Good refree kept the play going.
Dawson has the players but has to make them work -  McKernan  & Rooney well off  thw
pace, Daniel McCartan looked like a Div 3 player
Beautiful set up ay Bridge - young camogs at half time was a great touch
Fierce tame altogether

knockitdown

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 17, 2011, 10:30:15 PM
Was a really disappointing game, bridge were bad and burren were worse. Twice burren went 3 ahead and still couldn't put them away. I would say if bridge play benny midfield for the rest of the year the rest if the county would be happy enough, such a waste.  The only players that looked county material imo were Dan mccartan and Ryan brady who gave gerrard mccartan a host of trouble.

MDG think it might be a bit ott to say bridge were still best team in the county, it was the first league game of the season ffs.  Id say the happiest team to come out of today was kilcoo as both teams looked very beatable going by today performance .

Quote from:  Leo on April 17, 2011, 10:30:15 PM
a neutral view.
Shocking first   half, no football a t all.

Great second half of kick passing football from both sides.
Best player on the park by a country mile was the Bridge no. 6, closely followed by Gavin Barry.
Ryan McGovern kepy Burren  in hunt with sprited display.
Good refree kept the play going.
Dawson has the players but has to make them work -  McKernan  & Rooney well off  thw
pace, Daniel McCartan looked like a Div 3 playerBeautiful set up ay Bridge - young camogs at half time was a great touch

Were you two at the same game? ;D

EagleLord

Worlds apart those 2 ratings! :D

amallon

A first half to forget yesterday, thank god the second half was a good improvement.  Thought the bridge were good value for their win.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

alba2

What a shocking game yesterday.  Both teams looked afraid to play the game. But in fairness in the first half both defences were on top.  Second half it opened up a little bit more and the Burren keeper made a calamity for the bridge goal.  Good to see the blues starting the season as they mean to go on.  Lets hope its succesful for them.
Other games - Kingdom had too much in the tank for Clonduff and the Yellas could be in trouble this year judging on that performance - plus Shane Ward out through injury - they need players of his quality week in week out.
Rostrevor drawing with Saval was a bit of a surprise for me - but think probably justice in the result in the end.
Ford did well to overcome a battling Ballyholland side who gave a real good account of themselves.  Did the ford take their eye of the ball thinking its only Ballyholland or were they really that good?/?
Kilcoo - the pace setters gave longstone a real lesson in footbal on friday night. Their quick moving and indeed quick thinking will leave alot of teams in this league wonderin what has hit them as the season progresses.  This could be the year the magpies really step up to the plate and with young Ryan Johnston on their books - they have probably the stand out young player in the county at the moment.

Next weeks fixtures cant come quickly enough.......

EagleLord

Woeful first half amallon, both teams just didnt really have the shooting boots for most of the first half, a lot of wides, the play itself wasnt too bad though. Second half was alot more competitive and thankfully so. The new pitch looks very good and all should be commended. Nice to see a big crowd there even if it was a little quiet, which was strange. You could hear a pin drop at times.

downjim

Quote from: blueannavy on April 17, 2011, 07:13:08 PM
downjim what happened ????? :o

A jammy goal won the game for the bridge... what did ARNIE say in Terminator  :) :)

Big Tom was a happy man after the game :) :) The food in the club was nice though  :)

whitegoodman

The Dan McCartan 3rd division performance will have to be explained to me, I dont think his man scored from play but i stand by to be corrected.

Thought James McGovern destroyed the CHB in first half and the young lad was lucky he wasnt sent off or taken off.  Just shows u what different people see in different games.

Bridge deserved their victory, they were more economical with their posession, Burren were pedestrian alot of the time and played across the field instead of direct into the full forward line who had the beating of their men. Burren were close to full strength by the look of it whilst bridge had grant & more or less benny missing as well as cathal magee and noel sexton on the bench and also introduced 2 young fella into their starting half back line so their undoubted strength in depth could prove crucial later in the year.  Having some of those players to come in a tight game will be very handy for francie.

Finally the new pitch is a credit to the bridge and must be up there with saval as being best club pitch in the county ( havent seen kilcoo's to judge ).  Their overall facilities must be up there with the best in the county as well.

PAULD123

Forgive my ignorance but how many teams play in the senior championship? And how is it decided who is in teh senior, intermediate and junior championships?

Thanks

dundrumite

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 18, 2011, 01:14:04 PM
The Dan McCartan 3rd division performance will have to be explained to me, I dont think his man scored from play but i stand by to be corrected.

Thought James McGovern destroyed the CHB in first half and the young lad was lucky he wasnt sent off or taken off.  Just shows u what different people see in different games.

Bridge deserved their victory, they were more economical with their posession, Burren were pedestrian alot of the time and played across the field instead of direct into the full forward line who had the beating of their men. Burren were close to full strength by the look of it whilst bridge had grant & more or less benny missing as well as cathal magee and noel sexton on the bench and also introduced 2 young fella into their starting half back line so their undoubted strength in depth could prove crucial later in the year.  Having some of those players to come in a tight game will be very handy for francie.

Finally the new pitch is a credit to the bridge and must be up there with saval as being best club pitch in the county ( havent seen kilcoo's to judge ).  Their overall facilities must be up there with the best in the county as well.

Interesting point there. What is people's opinion on this point? My personal favourite field is Castlewellan

supersub

Quote from: Pangurban on April 17, 2011, 04:52:28 AM
You expressed an opinion, in terms which amounted to personal abuse of a named referee. I expressed my opinion,as did others, that this was unfair and unacceptable on a public forum. Whats your problem with that. Could it be that having cooled down, and reflected a little, you know you were wrong. As for dictating what you write, far be it from me to want too do that, but please allow me to disagree without being accused of riding high horses. It is after all a discussion board

Quote from: dundrumite on April 17, 2011, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: supersub on April 17, 2011, 02:47:22 AM
No they certainly did not and they will receive a lot more personal criticism behind their backs in more public domains than this board that is for sure. But that is the nature of the game, people talk about it and criticise all the time. It is nothing to do with being behind a name in the format of this site, as I would more than happily say it to the mans face. I said it on here because it was a comment I wanted to make after the match which I felt very strongly about. I would never normally do something like that, look through my posts for assurance,  but that shows the extent of how I felt about it. Sorry if I upset anyone through his issue.

But on another note Pangurban who the hell are you to come on here and tell me what is acceptable to write and what is not, wind your neck in. I will write what I want and it is usually positive and not bogged down in the critical analysis of inidviduals but when I say something I mean it. Don't try and degrade me by getting on your high horse and throwing out unwritten rules of the board.

100% right it is the nature of the game, not one I agree with as I have stated here.  I do agree the standard of referring in Down is poor, I'd be off the midset of trying to come up with ideas to improve it as opposed to naming and shaming. Supersub I just noticed your side caption there, gave me a chuckle on the topic we are on.
I do fail to see how club referees will ever receive more public criticism than through the World wide web. On a sidenote, 2.47 and 4.52 am posts thats commitment to the board  ;D

Firstly Pangurban yes it was a named referee, just like the named players that get criticised on here all the time. I had cooled down indeed but stand by my comments about the refereeing display. Maybe it was wrong to name an individual, that's a matter of opinion also, but when I see (as I mentioned before) players being named and criticised ie Dan McCartan being referred to as a 'Div 3' player since I posted, it makes me wonder what the difference is really as this was also personal abuse, but is it deemed ok just because he is a player and not an official? Doesn't really make sense.

Also Dundrumite my comment you highlighted there in bold was in relation to your question - 'Did all the Rostrevor players play well? I doubt it, yet they don't receive criticism (am not advocating that either)' - not in relation to referees abuse. And by it I meant the amount of people who will actually talk about the players in the pub, on the street etc as opposed to the 'potential' that the world wide web has to reach. There will be a lot more people talking about players and criticising them elsewhere than there are on here. Having said that as I mentioned I see a certain Burren player being criticised in this thread since my post and not much fuss was made about personal attacks with him. My caption is quite ironic indeed on the subject, it has been there for a long time, doesn't really mean much to be honest, probably a bit like yours big man! ;) Dont know when the 4.52 post was but that is brave and early to be up alright  :D, that one the other day wasn't far behind but Leo you haven't a clue (a bit like your namesake), good guess though.

whitegoodman

Quote from: dundrumite on April 18, 2011, 04:58:45 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on April 18, 2011, 01:14:04 PM

Interesting point there. What is people's opinion on this point? My personal favourite field is Castlewellan

I would differentiate between facilities and pitch.  For facilities i would include floodlights, changing rooms and gym facilites.  On basis of the pitch alone I would go for Bridge, saval and Downpatrick.  For facilities i would go for bridge, clonduff and burren.

whitegoodman

Quote from: supersub on April 18, 2011, 05:58:24 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on April 17, 2011, 04:52:28 AM
You expressed an opinion, in terms which amounted to personal abuse of a named referee. I expressed my opinion,as did others, that this was unfair and unacceptable on a public forum. Whats your problem with that. Could it be that having cooled down, and reflected a little, you know you were wrong. As for dictating what you write, far be it from me to want too do that, but please allow me to disagree without being accused of riding high horses. It is after all a discussion board

Quote from: dundrumite on April 17, 2011, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: supersub on April 17, 2011, 02:47:22 AM
No they certainly did not and they will receive a lot more personal criticism behind their backs in more public domains than this board that is for sure. But that is the nature of the game, people talk about it and criticise all the time. It is nothing to do with being behind a name in the format of this site, as I would more than happily say it to the mans face. I said it on here because it was a comment I wanted to make after the match which I felt very strongly about. I would never normally do something like that, look through my posts for assurance,  but that shows the extent of how I felt about it. Sorry if I upset anyone through his issue.

But on another note Pangurban who the hell are you to come on here and tell me what is acceptable to write and what is not, wind your neck in. I will write what I want and it is usually positive and not bogged down in the critical analysis of inidviduals but when I say something I mean it. Don't try and degrade me by getting on your high horse and throwing out unwritten rules of the board.

100% right it is the nature of the game, not one I agree with as I have stated here.  I do agree the standard of referring in Down is poor, I'd be off the midset of trying to come up with ideas to improve it as opposed to naming and shaming. Supersub I just noticed your side caption there, gave me a chuckle on the topic we are on.
I do fail to see how club referees will ever receive more public criticism than through the World wide web. On a sidenote, 2.47 and 4.52 am posts thats commitment to the board  ;D

Firstly Pangurban yes it was a named referee, just like the named players that get criticised on here all the time. I had cooled down indeed but stand by my comments about the refereeing display. Maybe it was wrong to name an individual, that’s a matter of opinion also, but when I see (as I mentioned before) players being named and criticised ie Dan McCartan being referred to as a ‘Div 3’ player since I posted, it makes me wonder what the difference is really as this was also personal abuse, but is it deemed ok just because he is a player and not an official? Doesn’t really make sense.

Also Dundrumite my comment you highlighted there in bold was in relation to your question - ‘Did all the Rostrevor players play well? I doubt it, yet they don't receive criticism (am not advocating that either)’ - not in relation to referees abuse. And by it I meant the amount of people who will actually talk about the players in the pub, on the street etc as opposed to the ‘potential’ that the world wide web has to reach. There will be a lot more people talking about players and criticising them elsewhere than there are on here. Having said that as I mentioned I see a certain Burren player being criticised in this thread since my post and not much fuss was made about personal attacks with him. My caption is quite ironic indeed on the subject, it has been there for a long time, doesn’t really mean much to be honest, probably a bit like yours big man! ;) Dont know when the 4.52 post was but that is brave and early to be up alright  :D, that one the other day wasn’t far behind but Leo you haven’t a clue (a bit like your namesake), good guess though.

If a ref has a poor match then i think it is fair game that they receive criticism.  I dont agree with any personal abuse but what is the difference in players and managers getting critism and refs getting critism. 

There are some refs in the county that be controversal for the sake of being controversal but i wouldnt have thought leo would be one of them.  He seems a decent guy and if he had a poor match i would leave at that.  Not sure about not deserving to ref a senior game as there is a lack of refs about at the min as it is.  It was good to see a younger ref take the bridge game yesterday and he had a decent game too

DownFanatic

Down ACFL Division 3
Dundrum 1-12  Glasdrumman 3-07

We conceded two very soft goals. Conor Harrison won the game with a late free. On the balance of play we were the better team. Harrison and Raymie Magorrian contributed 3-04 of the Drumman's total.