Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Mooney is nowhere near down seniors.. He doesnt even dominate games at his own level, he bursts in for a few mins and then disappears for 10.. Look at him closely, he doesnt dominate a game the way coulter, m clarke would have at that level..!! He s a superb athlete for his age but thats it i feel.. Im sorry but I just feel we are so quick to build young players into something they arent these days..!! Good luck to the lad at Collingwood but he s nowhere near the loss for down football that Clarke would be if he goes back.

5 Sams

Quote from: umpire on April 04, 2011, 08:29:11 PM
Gervase O'Hare and John McCartan both 17 started in same game  for Down Senior back in late 70's in NFL.

Think Mooney should be allowed to play for Rostrevor senior, he would be a big asset to thier forward line.

Was John McCartan not 18 in 1977??
The Aristocrat Years

PAULD123

Think Mooney should be allowed to play for Rostrevor senior, he would be a big asset to thier forward line.

It's not a matter of allowing him to play for Rostrevor seniors, it is him refusing to play. Mooney has been asked, and asked more than once. He has decided not to play. He has committed himself to the Down Minors but that's all. Rostrevor would love him to play for their senior team even if only for the summer

supersub

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 04, 2011, 11:49:42 PM

It's not a matter of allowing him to play for Rostrevor seniors, it is him refusing to play. Mooney has been asked, and asked more than once. He has decided not to play. He has committed himself to the Down Minors but that's all. Rostrevor would love him to play for their senior team even if only for the summer

You seem well informed on the matter PD123, who or what is your source?

PAULD123

I wouldn't want to betray any confidances though I think it would be fair to say that anyone in Rostrevor would tell you what I said. But I was told it direct from someone who did the asking

umpire

Quote from: supersub on April 05, 2011, 01:20:04 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on April 04, 2011, 11:49:42 PM

You seem well informed on the matter PD123, who or what is your source?

I am aware that Rostrevor seniors and Second teams have asked Mooney to play last year. My previous  post did not say that Mooney not allow to play by Rostrevor club 

alba2

Bit of an attitude or is he just being careful because he has professional contract signed??

brokencrossbar1

I think it is more to do with Mooney's contract and also a lot to do with one other influential figure in his life holding him back. Supersub could maybe back me on this as I'm sure he knows what I mean.

PAULD123

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 05, 2011, 09:57:54 AM
I think it is more to do with Mooney's contract and also a lot to do with one other influential figure in his life holding him back. Supersub could maybe back me on this as I'm sure he knows what I mean.

We're all being very coy about this aren't we? ;)

I agree with the statement above and also with its ambiguity. There has been no single declaration of exactly why he won't/can't play. No one has ever said that he has been forbidden to do so by his contract, after all he is playing Schools & minor football. I have been told that it is most likely a combination of the factors stated above, so that's really the long and short of it. So we can only hope that he returns soon and strong like Marty did. Hopefully Jamie O'Reilly will come back and hopefully Marty will see the light and commit to Down.

Should I start saying novenas? ;D

supersub

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 05, 2011, 07:01:55 AM
I wouldn't want to betray any confidances though I think it would be fair to say that anyone in Rostrevor would tell you what I said. But I was told it direct from someone who did the asking

Fair enough, just interested in source not disputing the validity of the information! As I know it is true.

Yeh BCB1 is right in what he says re contract and other influence(s), it is unfortunate but a choice which has been made and won't be changing before he leaves as far as is known!

EagleLord

Lads wise up a bit, what if he played a game for seniors, got hurt, a big one, broken leg/jaw, ICL or something, injuried long term. I wouldnt think Collingwood would be happy. Besides, If I was in his position, I know I wouldnt want anything wrecking my chance in a lifetime, and if anyone was putting pressure on me to do so, I know I'd tell them to stick it.

supersub

Quote from: EagleLord on April 05, 2011, 06:30:41 PM
Lads wise up a bit, what if he played a game for seniors, got hurt, a big one, broken leg/jaw, ICL or something, injuried long term. I wouldnt think Collingwood would be happy. Besides, If I was in his position, I know I wouldnt want anything wrecking my chance in a lifetime, and if anyone was putting pressure on me to do so, I know I'd tell them to stick it.

Totally agree, except you still run the risk of an injury like this no matter who you play for or against!

PAULD123

Lads the Mooney thing is pretty much settled. He won't be playing for Rostrevor and he will be going to Oz at the end of the summer. He's a young lad and to be fair to him I don't think we should spend a lot of time dissecting his decisions. That may be fair enough for experienced players and grown men, but he's only 17 and I just feel yoo young to be over analysed on a forum, just don't think its fair on him.

Anyway on another subject - are there any Longstone men on this forum that can tell us the current situation with Ambrose? How is his recovery going, he was reported to be aiming to be ready to be part of the match day squad for the Kerry game, is that still true?

alba2

Any predictions on what will happen at the weekend on the national league front?? Good weekend would see us qualify for the league final and armagh relegated - but we cant have both unfortunately!!!

supersub

Quote from: snoopdog on April 04, 2011, 04:49:59 PM
Yep i take all your points on young Mooney.
How are Ambrose and Liam doyle coming on.

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 06, 2011, 08:25:05 AM
Anyway on another subject - are there any Longstone men on this forum that can tell us the current situation with Ambrose? How is his recovery going, he was reported to be aiming to be ready to be part of the match day squad for the Kerry game, is that still true?

Not sure about Ambrose, Liam Doyle played a half at CHB last night in a challenge game.